Loving that lighter trigger pull

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Loving that lighter trigger pull

Post by kurl » 03 Dec 2013, 1:33 pm

G'day,

Just sharing and experience for the fellow newbies like me :D

Like we know, there are plenty of helpful guys with good information for new shooters, then there are the know it alls who just copy and paste info like they're experts to ring there own bell.

One of the things I thought (due to my own ignorance though) was that trigger pull weight shouldn't be much of a bit deal.

I read these guys going on about taking 0.5lb of a trigger pull being a huge deal and thought, meh.

I was at the range this week though and chatting with a pair of blokes who both has Ruger Scout .308's

One had replaced his trigger spring and done some work on the sear and whatever else and they were testing them out.

They were kind enough to let me have a shoot. After shooting the stock one I thought it was fine and that whatever was done to the lighter trigger was probably a waste of time.

Shooting it though, it was so much better. So I stand corrected.

Anyway, shows that "you don't know what you don't know" and I was definitely wrong about a little thing like a trigger pull making a big difference. So yeah, just sharing and experience for the fellow newbies :)
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Loving that lighter trigger pull

Post by Monty » 03 Dec 2013, 2:30 pm

Indeed, little things can make all the difference.

I think when you're new to shooting and your 90% of the problems in terms of bad shooting and inaccuracy, you can't see the subtleties.

As you get better though you start to be able to iron out the fine details.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 03 Dec 2013, 4:00 pm

kurl wrote:G'day,

Anyway, shows that "you don't know what you don't know" and I was definitely wrong about a little thing like a trigger pull making a big difference. So yeah, just sharing and experience for the fellow newbies :)

A good trigger is high on the list of "must haves" for an accurate rifle. Most can be improved by a gunsmith, many can be adjusted(if you know what you are doing), some are best replaced by a timney, rifle basix or Davies(local product and competitive).

Every single rifle I have now has a good trigger, a couple I had adjusted by a smith, some I have done myself and two have been totally replaced.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by AusC » 03 Dec 2013, 8:06 pm

Warrigul wrote:Every single rifle I have now has a good trigger, a couple I had adjusted by a smith, some I have done myself and two have been totally replaced.

What was the line for you on replacing one over having a smith look at it? Just curious...
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 03 Dec 2013, 8:38 pm

AusC wrote:
Warrigul wrote:Every single rifle I have now has a good trigger, a couple I had adjusted by a smith, some I have done myself and two have been totally replaced.

What was the line for you on replacing one over having a smith look at it? Just curious...

I don't like stoning sear adjustment, if it is a matter of adjusting a screw I am okay to have a go but not removing metal.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Granting » 04 Dec 2013, 8:44 am

Warrigul wrote:
AusC wrote:What was the line for you on replacing one over having a smith look at it? Just curious...

I don't like stoning sear adjustment, if it is a matter of adjusting a screw I am okay to have a go but not removing metal.

You're not happy removing metal yourself? Or not comfortable with it at all?
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless 30-06 w/ Zeiss Duralyt 3–12x50
Sako A11 22-250
Remington M514 22LR
Granting
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 04 Dec 2013, 10:05 am

Granting wrote:
Warrigul wrote:
AusC wrote:What was the line for you on replacing one over having a smith look at it? Just curious...

You're not happy removing metal yourself? Or not comfortable with it at all?

It is a funny thing but I am a worrier, and it is more of a comfort thing and this wish to never be sued for negligence.

I am more than capable of doing it(as a tradesman I have built many screw compressors, recips, multistage centrifugal pumps and other precision gear) but it is easier for me to just hand over the rifle/pistol and $50 and say "fix it please" and get it back working perfectly, I am lucky in that I know a retired smith.

Saves me the worry that I have gone too far etc etc,

I have often said that if it has been made by man it can be fixed and gunsmithing is only knowledge and machining principles, I have set back and rechambered rifle barrels with eroded bores, built up target rifles from actions and barrels(I don't have access to a lathe at the moment) but loathe touching triggers.

Go figure.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by remnt » 04 Dec 2013, 10:08 am

Warrigul wrote:Saves me the worry that I have gone too far etc etc,

If you go to far I suppose a rough knock can cause and accidental discharge?
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 04 Dec 2013, 10:09 am

AusC wrote:

Sorry I have just realised what you were meaning, the couple I replaced rather than have a smith look at them, one was a two stage CZ(which I hated) the other was a two stage replacement for an Omark (Mr Davies does a fine job with his two stage adjustable triggers).
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Gunsmithing