Howa 1500 "Slow feed" issue

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Howa 1500 "Slow feed" issue

Post by crows2332 » 09 Dec 2017, 12:03 pm

Had been looking at a 308, and going between a new Howa barrelled action, 2nd hand Weatherby Vanguard, new (but on sale), Browning AB3 and never been fired but 2nd hand Savage Axis.
All for between $450 (Savage & Howa under $500) up to to $695 (Browning).
Really liked the sound of the rock solid action of the Howa/Vanguard (that you could nearly use as a club if you ran out of ammo), but they cycling issues, far out, it's crazy!
Now I've stalled in my thought process.
Howa/Vanguard action might better suit a longer barrel/range modification in a future life being single fed, but initially, walk about/follow up shots, doesn't sound so great at the moment.
So this is a great post you've put up, to get me looking into it a bit more. With a year or more of the known issue, and still being sold from new with the issue isn't a good selling point.
Asides from the price of the new Howa barrelled action & second hand Vanguard S2, are they still worth the hassle of the feeding?Little less confidence in them now.
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by marksman » 09 Dec 2017, 12:21 pm

IMHO I still think these rifles are worth tweaking, being new you can ask to show proof that there is no problem in the first place,
being new they cannot be tweaked by yourself and until warranty period is over must stay original
these feeding issues are a quick fix in the right hands not like a few years back where it was barrels that were not up to scratch
the seller/gunstore needs to look after the customer better and they will not get new guys who are to afraid to buy and think they will be burnt
as the buyer you have consumer law on your side but do not try fixing yourself if under warranty, or if just bought secondhand you are still covered
get the seller who is responsible to send it back or repair :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by crows2332 » 09 Dec 2017, 1:30 pm

Note to self: Don't take it back to the LGS in pieces (like some do the Ruger MkII) saying, it fell apart in my hands Chief!
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2017, 2:53 pm

Got 3 Howas and all feed and function fine for me - always have, got lucky I guess.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by crows2332 » 09 Dec 2017, 4:46 pm

Might be the scenario where, you can have hundreds of an item behave, that you'll never hear much about mentioned, but the ones that misbehave, bring the attention to it more so. Good to hear some good examples mixed in.
crows2332
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Dec 2017, 5:04 pm

One would think they check such a basic requirements prior to leaving the factory.
Piss poor if you ask me. But typical of business.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Dec 2017, 6:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:One would think they check such a basic requirements prior to leaving the factory.
Piss poor if you ask me. But typical of business.

You'd think Sako quality control would do better too! Got a mate with 2 sakos that were new from the factory that had stuffed barrels (look like they used a chisel on em) :unknown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihURwQQwGlc
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Dec 2017, 11:34 pm

"New from the factory with stuffed barrels"? I seriously doubt that bigfella. Why didn't he return them? Seems strange to me. Perhaps they weren't really "new"?
What are the odds of the same bloke getting two "new" rifles that looked like someone had "used a chisel" on them? Sorry ol' mate , calling B.S on that one.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2017, 8:25 am

Gamerancher wrote:"New from the factory with stuffed barrels"? I seriously doubt that bigfella. Why didn't he return them? Seems strange to me. Perhaps they weren't really "new"?
What are the odds of the same bloke getting two "new" rifles that looked like someone had "used a chisel" on them? Sorry ol' mate , calling B.S on that one.

You can call BS all you like mate, fact is it's true, they were returned and replaced - cals were 222 and 260 from memory - we realised something was wrong when we tried cleaning them, the patches would get tight and grabby type thing, an inspection with my mates bore scope soon revealed the problem!

The rifles were bought around 2mth apart from memory both new from a shop in Brisbane (in the city from memory) and both wouldn't shoot worth s**t either (for obvious reasons) my mate did email the pics from the bore scope too me but I can't find them, you'd be amazed at how bad the bores were, how they got through their inspection system is a mystery but it definitely happened. :unknown:

And as you can see from the video I put in my original post you can see they definitely have inherent flaws in their designs too, which was also encountered by the same owner of the 2 duds (not sure what cals he was having issues with with the ejection issues - my mate pretty much owns mostly sakos of all models and a few anshultz etc so likes his quality gear.

Got a Tikka myself that doesn't shoot real well (T3x) but I think it's problem is the barrel touches the wooden stock which I thought was odd but I can sort that out easy enough and hopefully that's all the issue is.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Dec 2017, 10:02 am

I'd say somewhere between factory and your mate getting them, someone f#cked with them. I've seen a brand new barrel completely f#cked by a gunshop using a bore-sighter to set up a scope for a bloke. The fact that they were both from the same gunshop makes me think you may have isolated the problem.
Easier for Sako, or, ( most likely ), the shop in question, to just exchange than prove, not worth the hassle.
As for the ejection problems, even the "expert" in your video states that he didn't know whether it was just a scope mounting problem or not.
There is always the "idiot" factor to contend with no matter what brand of rifle you are talking about.

Fact: Sakos are renowned for their extraction, that's why people get Sako extractors put in their Remingtons, ( and their clones ) , especially in high end target rifles. They do this for reliability.

It's pretty obvious that you like your Howas, that's good, each to his own. But, putting s**t on other brands when a problem with them is discussed, doesn't solve the problem.
Happy hunting. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2017, 10:45 am

Gamerancher wrote:I'd say somewhere between factory and your mate getting them, someone f#cked with them. I've seen a brand new barrel completely f#cked by a gunshop using a bore-sighter to set up a scope for a bloke. The fact that they were both from the same gunshop makes me think you may have isolated the problem.
Easier for Sako, or, ( most likely ), the shop in question, to just exchange than prove, not worth the hassle.
As for the ejection problems, even the "expert" in your video states that he didn't know whether it was just a scope mounting problem or not.
There is always the "idiot" factor to contend with no matter what brand of rifle you are talking about.

Fact: Sakos are renowned for their extraction, that's why people get Sako extractors put in their Remingtons, ( and their clones ) , especially in high end target rifles. They do this for reliability.

It's pretty obvious that you like your Howas, that's good, each to his own. But, putting s**t on other brands when a problem with them is discussed, doesn't solve the problem.
Happy hunting. :drinks:

It's not an extraction problem with the sakos it's a ejection problem! :thumbsup: Some cals for whatever reason have this issue more than others (brass dropping back in the action or hitting turrets on ejection) both rifles were brand new and nothing done to them as my mate sets his rifles up correctly and wouldn't let some flea from a gun shop near em as he knows they most are incompetent when it comes to setting things up correctly. He uses Optiloks on all his sakos - the problem is well known to those who own and use sakos in the cals affected..

And wasn't hanging s**t on em as you say just pointing out all brands have issues of manufacture no matter their brand name or how much you pay for em they all have a percentage of duds. :drinks:

I've also owned a Sako and it was an ordinary shooter to say the least, no matter what I did with it it just wouldn't shoot for s**t, my mate now owns it too as he wanted it right or wrong, he knows it doesn't shoot but he will tinker with it and hopefully get it shooting right (it has the worst trigger of any rifle I've ever owned) nothing including a well known trigger guy could get it to where it needed to be to be a decent trigger and possibly the reason why it wouldn't shoot or at least it contributed to it for sure, my mate has a trigger sitting there to put in it which will see that problem solved finally.

cheers :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Dec 2017, 10:03 pm

I own and use Sako's, 9 of them all up, that I've put thousands of rounds through each without any of the problems you seem to think are intrinsic to the brand, or even heard of anyone else other than this "evidence" here in this post. What calibres are supposed to be problematic?
Cases hitting the scope is hardly a problem you can blame on the rifle manufacturer, you are after all, talking about a bolt-on, aftermarket accessory. Tried higher mounts to give enough clearance for longer brass? Just because they are Optilocks, doesn't mean they are suited to that particular chambering wearing that particular scope.
There needs to be enough clearance between the scope and action to allow brass to eject at the angle it comes out at. That angle is fixed and determined by the length of the case, the position of the ejector and is independent of how fast or slow you cycle the bolt. The speed will usually only effect how far you send the case off into the dirt.

What this has to do with a problem with Howa's is beyond me , but anyway, that's usually the nature of forums 'ay?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 11 Dec 2017, 1:10 am

I purchased a brand new Howa in .243 and it shot straight out the cardboard box it came in like they claimed it would and has performed well.Got a wednesday rifle maybe
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Dec 2017, 6:34 am

Gamerancher wrote:I own and use Sako's, 9 of them all up, that I've put thousands of rounds through each without any of the problems you seem to think are intrinsic to the brand, or even heard of anyone else other than this "evidence" here in this post. What calibres are supposed to be problematic?
Cases hitting the scope is hardly a problem you can blame on the rifle manufacturer, you are after all, talking about a bolt-on, aftermarket accessory. Tried higher mounts to give enough clearance for longer brass? Just because they are Optilocks, doesn't mean they are suited to that particular chambering wearing that particular scope.
There needs to be enough clearance between the scope and action to allow brass to eject at the angle it comes out at. That angle is fixed and determined by the length of the case, the position of the ejector and is independent of how fast or slow you cycle the bolt. The speed will usually only effect how far you send the case off into the dirt.

What this has to do with a problem with Howa's is beyond me , but anyway, that's usually the nature of forums 'ay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 0BJfcIvj3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ig5lgrMSvI

From a thread on AHN
I've owned 3 Sako 85's, the only one that didn't have an ejection issue was the .223. The 25-06 would fling cases into the scope, this resulted in a lot of dings and blemishes on the underside of the scope and windage turret cap.
The 30-06 Black Bear would fling the cases up into the scope and then they would drop back down into the action, it also left a lot of marks on the scope.
On the first hunting trip with the 30-06 I fired 3 shots and got 2 jams from ejected cases falling back into the action.
After consulting with the gun shop and the distributer the recommended solution was to fit higher scope mounts (all 3 rifles had medium height mounts). End result I no longer own any model 85 Sako's.

One mate has an 85 in 9.3x62 and that had no issues. Another has one in 270 and that does have an ejection problem.

I'd suggest trying it out with a scope fitted before buying or at least have an understanding with your dealer before buying that they take it back if it has an ejection issue.

Yep 300wsm. Loved that rifle but couldn't trust it. Turned me to proper Crf rifles and haven't looked back.

My .223 has had issues I don't like the rifle had I known I aould never have bought it.

I had a Sako Finnlight in 270WSM do it. Cases would hit the scope and fall back into the action jamming it when trying to chamber the next round. The rifle was returned for a refund.

Yep had a couple of 85's, 1st Varmit 22-250, wouldn't eject shells properly just dropping them in the breach, 2nd Hunter .223, same problem. 3rd Hunter .338, never had a problem easy over 1,000 rounds, shoots and kills good. Which I've still got and is one of my favourite guns. Got gun cerekoted thou because bluing is poor, same as on Tikka's, buy stainless. Just my thoughts. Frito.

My 85 in 9.3x62 pelted the cases into the scope hard enough to bend the mouth. Then they usually bounced back into the action. :ummmno:

The cure. Mauser M12.

+1 :onya: That is exactly what I would be doing from now on with the 85 series.
However I own three Sako 85's (well two as I sold one). A Black Bear in 9.3x62, Sako 85 Varmint Walnut/Fluted Stainless in 22/250 and my 85 Finnlight in 300WSM. I have NEVER had an ejection problem with any of these rifles and all have low mounted scopes. My Black Bear and Finnlight actually have Extra Low Optilocks.

well count yourself as lucky. I also had a blackbear, and it threw the cases into the scope turret. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but then Ive also been cycling bolt actions longer than you've been alive :)

defend the 85 all you like, I wouldn't buy another one just in case it was also a lemon

Sounds like you got lucky. Mate bought a 7/08 and 223 both at the same time - both do it

As you can see from all the different quotes there are definitely issues with ejection on the 85 action! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pete1 » 11 Dec 2017, 6:52 am

Ive got a older howa in 223 Probably 15 years old now, loved it so brought a 308 brand new both work fine no feeding issues what so ever.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 11 Dec 2017, 7:03 am

Ive never heard of one in stainless having any problems all i've heard of is blued. maybe when they make them out of different materials something in the process is different causing imperfections.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Dec 2017, 7:18 am

pete1 wrote:Ive never heard of one in stainless having any problems all i've heard of is blued. maybe when they make them out of different materials something in the process is different causing imperfections.

All mine are blued and no issues. :unknown: Haven't seen anything yet manufactured that doesn't have issues with some of them, bloody Honda lawnmower I own was supposed to be "Guaranteed to Start" easily but the bloody thing never did, about 10yrs I put up with it and one day I was speaking to a local small engine fella who said it's common, bring it down and I will sort it in about 2sec, all it was was the throttle cable needed a small adjustment so the choke would be fully closed off, it's been a PITA since new and all it took was a tweak on a screwdriver and adjust the cable slightly and now it's spot on, 1st pull every time now. :clap:

He reckons their tolerences need looking at from the factory, he's had plenty of them in and they all have exactly the same issue straight from the factory. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 11 Dec 2017, 8:38 am

pete1 wrote:Ive got a older howa in 223 Probably 15 years old now, loved it so brought a 308 brand new both work fine no feeding issues what so ever.

I have my old deceased uncles cmc mountaineer made in japan by howa (howa butt plate) and it's a beauty has awesome fiddleback in the walnut

your right bigfella all makes can have issues, I've seen tikka's with the same ejection problems as you talk about, still rate them though
obviously the howa's are not getting as much or as good QC at the moment, they are good rifle's and I recon the company's under the pump trying to compete and keep there prices down, I would rather have to do a little tweaking than replace but it all puts off the new buyer :unknown:
what ******'s me though is the "you can buy an aftermarket replacement part to fix that" attitude, you can make a budget rifle very costly
some people want to bling there latest toy and good for them but me I buy a rifle because I want that rifle and expect it to work :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Dec 2017, 11:01 am

marksman wrote:
pete1 wrote:Ive got a older howa in 223 Probably 15 years old now, loved it so brought a 308 brand new both work fine no feeding issues what so ever.

I have my old deceased uncles cmc mountaineer made in japan by howa (howa butt plate) and it's a beauty has awesome fiddleback in the walnut

your right bigfella all makes can have issues, I've seen tikka's with the same ejection problems as you talk about, still rate them though
obviously the howa's are not getting as much or as good QC at the moment, they are good rifle's and I recon the company's under the pump trying to compete and keep there prices down, I would rather have to do a little tweaking than replace but it all puts off the new buyer :unknown:
what ******'s me though is the "you can buy an aftermarket replacement part to fix that" attitude, you can make a budget rifle very costly
some people want to bling there latest toy and good for them but me I buy a rifle because I want that rifle and expect it to work :thumbsup:

Yep I’m not into blinging rifles either - I like just buying howa barreled actions and put a stock on I know works for me and only other thing I do to em is get the triggers tuned as I do with all my rifles as a rule.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rikta » 12 Dec 2017, 9:37 am

FlyingStick wrote:Hi All,

Just a quick one. In summary, I've had a few feed issues with my 2 month old 223 Howa 1500 (internal 5 round mag). The first couple rounds that are stacked on the right hand side of the mag are flicking up at the rear and jamming between the bolt and chamber. The dealer has swapped the internal mag out but the problem still exists (in starting to think it has something to do with the lips of the action and the round is bouncing out too early).

I am now being told that I am not cycling fast enough as it is a double stacked internal mag system (and because it's a push feed system), so I need to slam them in (and consequently have every animal in the area aware of my presence).

In short - am I being bs'd?

if youre laying in wait why dont you have one chambered already? and stalking.... De-cock the rifle with one in the chamber or do the unholy and single most unsafe thing in my mind and use the safety.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Dec 2017, 6:34 pm

Soooo,,,, how long have magazines been around? 130 years?
Should get it right, just plain slack in my view.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 03 Jan 2018, 1:22 pm

Rikta wrote:
FlyingStick wrote:Hi All,

Just a quick one. In summary, I've had a few feed issues with my 2 month old 223 Howa 1500 (internal 5 round mag). The first couple rounds that are stacked on the right hand side of the mag are flicking up at the rear and jamming between the bolt and chamber. The dealer has swapped the internal mag out but the problem still exists (in starting to think it has something to do with the lips of the action and the round is bouncing out too early).

I am now being told that I am not cycling fast enough as it is a double stacked internal mag system (and because it's a push feed system), so I need to slam them in (and consequently have every animal in the area aware of my presence).

In short - am I being bs'd?

if youre laying in wait why dont you have one chambered already? and stalking.... De-cock the rifle with one in the chamber or do the unholy and single most unsafe thing in my mind and use the safety.

I assume/hope that is sarcasm. There is/was an issue with the rifle, simple. People shouldn’t have to use them in a certain way to avoid a defect. Besides, I find the safest for me is to have a loaded mag with the bolt over the top and an empty chamber. Especially when I’m in the 4x4 scouting a property. If I spot anything - I work the bolt and load a live one. If I miss my opportunity during whilst doing this - oh well, prefer my safety over a bunny!

Didn’t realise this post was still kicking!

As posted previously - the rifle was fixed and returned and it hasn’t skipped a beat since. Used it only last weekend and cycling was smooth and problem free.

I have also noticed a few posts on Facebook about this issue - seems I’m not the only one and that there is something up with the manufacturing process which results in similar symptoms I have for some owners. It’s a pity - it’s a great rifle and deadly accurate - only last weekend nabbed me a rabbit with a clean head shot past 100m.

Will I go Howa again? Doubt it. I just don’t have the confidence I need in the brand to go again. I simply don’t have the time nor convenience to run around getting things repaired (not to say it won’t happen with another brand). I think a Tikka 308 is on the list this year!

To those having issues. Push hard! It needs to go back to OSA for repair - simple!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jan 2018, 7:22 am

What was the repair they did to it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by FlyingStick » 04 Jan 2018, 9:02 am

bigfellascott wrote:What was the repair they did to it?

No idea. I asked and they couldn’t provide an answer :unknown:

At that point I just wanted a rifle that worked!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 04 Jan 2018, 9:47 am

okay had a look at both vid's and it looks to me that the bullets are flicking up too much when they get past the guide of the magazine to the point that they seem to almost eject (well maybe not that much) and that's putting them out of shape and jamming. have you tried compressing the spring just a bit? just my thinking as it happens in the first few rounds, by the way i have a Howa 223 and while i changed over to an external mag (10 shot) i never had a problem cycling rounds with the internal mag,slow or fast. jmho :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by kb1 » 06 Jul 2018, 6:40 am

have a look on aussie reviews on youtube for howa 223 , big feed problems straight outta the box.
seems like its common
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 06 Jul 2018, 11:58 am

kb1 wrote:have a look on aussie reviews on youtube for howa 223 , big feed problems straight outta the box.
seems like its common

If we're talking about the same Ozzie Reviews video, the problem there was a dodgy box magazine. He makes the point in the video that they sent him a new magazine and problem solved.
Member-Deleted

Post by Brian Gollop » 08 Dec 2018, 12:25 pm

I researched this with a gunsmith who also tested the cycling of the rifle I was purchasing at the range. No issues including with slow gentle feeding. So I happily purchased.
Upon viewing feed issues from YouTube it became apparent to him that the plastic magazine in the video (and perhaps this Topic Review) had been damaged by trying to top feed the magazine instead of sliding in rounds from the front.
Brian Gollop
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by solarpak » 09 Dec 2018, 6:32 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
kb1 wrote:have a look on aussie reviews on youtube for howa 223 , big feed problems straight outta the box.
seems like its common

If we're talking about the same Ozzie Reviews video, the problem there was a dodgy box magazine. He makes the point in the video that they sent him a new magazine and problem solved.

Polymer mags can be a law unto themselves!!!!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 09 Dec 2018, 7:20 pm

I looked at the video. And I’m about a thousand miles away from being able to offer a soloution but one thing for sure I would definitely not put up with it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Gunsmithing