Pillar bedding query (Howa)

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Pillar bedding query (Howa)

Post by KennyA » 13 May 2017, 9:56 am

Hi,

I have a Howa 308 Varmint with a body's pro varmint stock. I have also fitted the external mag conversion.

As the mag conversion is made of plastic will a pillar bedding job work or even make sense. When I tighten the action screws now it does feel a little mushy with the plastic lower trigger guard. I can understand that the standard metal mag release will tighten up with better feel as it's metal on metal if it's pillar bedded.

So am I wasting my time and money getting the stock pillar bedded...?

Cheers
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Pillar bedding query (Howa)

Post by Gwion » 13 May 2017, 10:32 am

I think it's always a good idea to pillar and fully bed the action. I do get the querie though. I thought long and hard about what mag system to put on mine and ended up buying a metal version but I was lucky and was offered a bargain by a fellow forum member. Still, no harm to do it, if done right, and not a waste of cash in my book.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: Pillar bedding query (Howa)

Post by KennyA » 17 May 2017, 5:19 am

Thanks for your replies.

I have now arranged for a full pillar and bedding job to be completed.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing