Rust blueing

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rust blueing

Post by Gogetem » 13 Jun 2017, 9:05 am

Hi Guys,
I have been eagerly awaiting the long weekend for a few weeks now, since I had been preparing the barrels of my recently acquired used SxS for slow rust blueing over the past few days. I always wanted a SxS :) and could not resist buying a used Merkel late last year - Blueing was worn off with some pitting at the muzzle and underneath the forearm. Took the gun to LGS and was quoted just under a grand for a decent slow rust blueing job. I knew I had over gone my budget (got the chokes opened up as well) and there was no way I could spend that much on cosmetics but again I could not see this elegant firearm in its current condition. Hence started doing a bit of research on rust blueing. After several videos and online articles I decided to do it myself.
started working on the matel about a month ago, removed pitting by drawing a file, removed old blueing with a blue removing solution, sanded with 120,180, 240 and final polish with a 320 grit sand paper, couple of baths in acetone followed by hot bath in soap water and then final degreasing with acetone.
Applied the first coat of blueing solution on Saturday morning and hung the barrel in the bathroom (shower door) with room steamer kept at a distance. Primed the matel with one more coat in an hour and let it rust for few hours, once the matel developed decent rust, off it went into a steam apparatus I build from PVC pipe for 15 mins (I was quite nervous at this stage :cry: ) and to my relief the rust had turned into black oxidise :clap: . Let the barrel cool down and gave it a light polish with a stainless steel wire wheel. Repeated the cycle 5 more times over the next couple of days, carding with steel wool and wire wheel until I got the colour i was happy with. Concluded the project last night by soaking the barrel in gun oil to neutralise the rusting. Can't wait to get back home tonight to see how it turns out once the oil is wiped off.
I push buttons all day for a bank and not having done anything like this in the past, I am quite happy with the outcome.
Next project is the stock and forearm.
Attachments
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2278.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMG_2282.JPG
IMG_2282.JPG (105.54 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMG_2262.JPG
IMG_2262.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMG_2254.JPG
IMG_2254.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMG_2251.JPG
IMG_2251.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 4210 times
IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1853.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 4210 times
.308, .223, .22, 12G o/u & a SxS
Gogetem
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Rust blueing

Post by Supaduke » 13 Jun 2017, 9:51 am

Looks cool. I gather the missus wasn't home then .... ;)

Hopefully it turns out well.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gogetem » 13 Jun 2017, 3:18 pm

Supaduke wrote:Looks cool. I gather the missus wasn't home then .... ;)

Hopefully it turns out well.

Thank you.
The missus was quite helpful with my gunsmithing adventure (this time) :friends:
Gogetem
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 18 Jun 2017, 7:31 am

Well done Gogetem.
Did you use a commercial pickling solution or did you formulate your own?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gogetem » 22 Jun 2017, 5:12 pm

straightshooter wrote:Well done Gogetem.
Did you use a commercial pickling solution or did you formulate your own?

Na mate just a commercial rust blueing solution. Took very little for 6 passes.
Gogetem
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 22 Jun 2017, 9:59 pm

Nice work. I'd like to give it a go. Any good tips to pass on?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gogetem » 06 Oct 2017, 10:30 am

Sorry for the late response :(
I believe sanding any finer than 320 grit has limited effect and it may leave the matel too smooth for the pilking solution to bite the metal. I did however gave the barrels a run with scotch bright after the final coat of sanding- although not sure what effect it had on the shine.
Gwion, it's quite rewarding especially once the project concludes. I believe the prep work is most important aspect of rust blueing. Also, having a damp box will give a uniform rust formation and speed up the process.
All the best mate. Let me know if I can be of any assistance
Gogetem
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 06 Oct 2017, 10:37 am

Looks great! Ive been working (pretty well done just awaiting finishing touches before i get some nice pics of finished job)on my Swede and had to do some bluing, I looked into the rust bluing but i was too lazy to set up for it plus a couple of friends gave me 2 types of bluing solutions for free so i ended up just going with that.Results not as good and nowhere near as durable as proper rust bluing you have done here though.I think next time I will do it properly, got a few mates guns I will do as well so will be worth it in the long run.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gogetem » 06 Oct 2017, 5:01 pm

Dunxy wrote:Looks great! Ive been working (pretty well done just awaiting finishing touches before i get some nice pics of finished job)on my Swede and had to do some bluing, I looked into the rust bluing but i was too lazy to set up for it plus a couple of friends gave me 2 types of bluing solutions for free so i ended up just going with that.Results not as good and nowhere near as durable as proper rust bluing you have done here though.I think next time I will do it properly, got a few mates guns I will do as well so will be worth it in the long run.

Yeah the set up can put you off but it's easy to set up and cost effective, especially the PVC steam pipe.
Do post pics once you complete the project.
All the best
Gogetem
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Oct 2017, 7:35 pm

I've considered doing that to my cheep side by side to give it a old school look.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TBJ » 10 Oct 2017, 6:42 pm

Nice Job mate, cant wait to see the stock and final product
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing