Help or advice with damaged .22

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Help or advice with damaged .22

Post by goldiexxxx » 30 Jul 2017, 10:56 am

Hi folks.
I recently purchased a Winchester Model 150 from an interstate seller of one of the online gun sales sites. I know these rifles were never the greatest, nor really popular, but I once had one many years ago and simply wanted to replace it because I just loved using that rifle at that time. The rifle was advertised as in good condition and so I paid probably too much for it once the included permit and funds to dealers at each end are included.
Anyway, the rifle is now mine and it seems what one seller's idea of good condition is not the same as another purchaser's expectation. The rifle has a broken firing pin and the chamber is carved out from dry firing. As parts are no longer available unless imported from the US, my local GS was willing to manufacture the firing pin, but told me the rifle was not repairable due to the damage to the chamber edge. He said it would most likely cause case ruptures and blow-back.
At present, the rifle neither chambers, nor extracts correctly but I think this has more to do with the missing piece of the firing pin not supporting the left side of the cartridge.

I'm after any second opinions, particularly to whether the chamber is repairable. I don't think a simple swage will fix it either. See photos included.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Attachments
20170730_102900.jpg
20170730_102900.jpg (787.19 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
20170730_102844.jpg
20170730_102844.jpg (674.59 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
20170730_102807.jpg
20170730_102807.jpg (703.86 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
20170730_102656.jpg
20170730_102656.jpg (973.24 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
20170730_102606.jpg
20170730_102606.jpg (919.11 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Help or advice with damaged .22

Post by Gwion » 30 Jul 2017, 11:16 am

Can't see that it's worth the trouble. I'd imagine the barrel would need to be removed and rechambered. Likely to be a costly exercise as I suspect the barrel is a press fit but that's just a guess.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Jul 2017, 11:39 am

Sounds like dishonest advertising. Got any comeback against the seller? Sorry it's spoiled your day.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 30 Jul 2017, 11:48 am

If you wanted to spend the money it could be fixed. Numrich has the firing pin and the barrel could be lined.
I think contacting the seller and trying to return it would be your best bet. Was it an individual or a shop?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2017, 12:25 pm

Lovingly restore it and keep and use it forever
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by goldiexxxx » 30 Jul 2017, 1:22 pm

It was a private seller, so no chance of returning it unfortunately.
The barrel has a barrel nut attaching it to the receiver so the barrel could be replaced if I ever found one in better condition.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 30 Jul 2017, 2:58 pm

You could get the barrel relined if it comes off easily.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Jul 2017, 3:51 pm

If the barrel can be removed there is no reason it can't be turned back and rechambered. It will just cost you a bit.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2017, 4:29 pm

Gwion wrote:If the barrel can be removed there is no reason it can't be turned back and rechambered. It will just cost you a bit.

Or put some weld in and file back to shape.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2017, 4:33 pm

Wombat wrote:If you wanted to spend the money it could be fixed. Numrich has the firing pin and the barrel could be lined.
I think contacting the seller and trying to return it would be your best bet. Was it an individual or a shop?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Winchester-33573/Rifles-42602/150-40275.htm?results=All
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2017, 4:36 pm

goldiexxxx wrote:Hi folks.
I recently purchased a Winchester Model 150 from an interstate seller of one of the online gun sales sites. I know these rifles were never the greatest, nor really popular, but I once had one many years ago and simply wanted to replace it because I just loved using that rifle at that time. The rifle was advertised as in good condition and so I paid probably too much for it once the included permit and funds to dealers at each end are included.
Anyway, the rifle is now mine and it seems what one seller's idea of good condition is not the same as another purchaser's expectation. The rifle has a broken firing pin and the chamber is carved out from dry firing. As parts are no longer available unless imported from the US, my local GS was willing to manufacture the firing pin, but told me the rifle was not repairable due to the damage to the chamber edge. He said it would most likely cause case ruptures and blow-back.
At present, the rifle neither chambers, nor extracts correctly but I think this has more to do with the missing piece of the firing pin not supporting the left side of the cartridge.

I'm after any second opinions, particularly to whether the chamber is repairable. I don't think a simple swage will fix it either. See photos included.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I had the 190, semi-auto version. Excellent rifle.
I would try some epoxy to fill the chamber damage and see how well it shoots.
The firing pin is a fairly simple matter of cutting it out of some steel plate, filing to size and shape, then tempering.
Or buy it from the US for about A$40.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 31 Jul 2017, 3:22 am

I'd vote for relining the barrel, it is going to cost a bit, but not all that much, when you consider what you already have invested. After all with a bad chamber all you have is a "Wall Hanger" which, as I understand under current Australian law can't even be hung on the wall. With the barrel relined you have a shooter with all the markings preserved.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by goldiexxxx » 31 Jul 2017, 7:59 am

So roughly what is the cost to reline the barrel?
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2017, 8:12 am

goldiexxxx wrote:So roughly what is the cost to reline the barrel?

More than you could replace the barrel for, or the entire rifle for that matter.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jul 2017, 9:39 am

God that makes me sick. "good" condition. How do these people sleep?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 31 Jul 2017, 9:58 am

Oldbloke wrote:God that makes me sick. "good" condition. How do these people sleep?

Arseholes!
Trouble is, they love it and will brag to their mates how they made a killing on that buggered item, be it a gun, a car or live stock that some sucker bought.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 31 Jul 2017, 10:02 am

goldiexxxx wrote:So roughly what is the cost to reline the barrel?

See your inbox for PM i sent.

Why would you reline a barrel for just a bit of damage at the chamber???
Unless it is internally corroded and a collectors piece in otherwise original condition (the only time you would even consider barrel lining IMHO), just get it set back and re-chambered. If the barrel is damaged more than just the chamber rim, re-barrelling isn't that expensive.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by goldiexxxx » 18 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

Alright, so I ended up buying a model 190 semi auto version. I picked it up for $120 posted and had it sent straight to my gunsmith. It surprised us both as it looked brand new; seemed a shame to part it out but I don't have a licence for a semi. He took the parts needed from it, including the barrel and handed me back the rest minus the receiver which was decommissioned (band saw).
Anyway, although the rifle is not fully original (stamped as 190 model on the barrel), it shoots great and I had a chance to sight it in on the weekend. I remember now why I loved shooting this gun so much, its smooth, its dead accurate even with open sights, and its no beauty queen, so will be used regularly. It cost me a total of $710 for an old 22 that is probably worth maybe $250, but eh, I'm happy, and in a few months from now, the cost will mean nothing.

Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me make the best decision to fix this ordinary situation.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Sep 2017, 9:03 pm

goldiexxxx wrote:Alright, so I ended up buying a model 190 semi auto version. I picked it up for $120 posted and had it sent straight to my gunsmith. It surprised us both as it looked brand new; seemed a shame to part it out but I don't have a licence for a semi. He took the parts needed from it, including the barrel and handed me back the rest minus the receiver which was decommissioned (band saw).
Anyway, although the rifle is not fully original (stamped as 190 model on the barrel), it shoots great and I had a chance to sight it in on the weekend. I remember now why I loved shooting this gun so much, its smooth, its dead accurate even with open sights, and its no beauty queen, so will be used regularly. It cost me a total of $710 for an old 22 that is probably worth maybe $250, but eh, I'm happy, and in a few months from now, the cost will mean nothing.

Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me make the best decision to fix this ordinary situation.

I had a 190 as a kid, great little rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Sep 2017, 10:29 pm

Nice to see it worked out for you; even it it was at a cost, if you're happy... :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Gunsmithing