Chopping down a CZ 557 Varmint (.308w)

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Chopping down a CZ 557 Varmint (.308w)

Post by in2anity » 19 Sep 2017, 12:08 pm

sungazer wrote:
in2anity wrote:
Gwion wrote:Or just spend $80 to get a proper cut and crown!

Yeah it's a pricey bit of kit to botch - but unless I'm looking in the wrong places there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of respected smiths in the Sydney region... :(

Well you could give LRP Solutions a call Matt Paroz he did several of the F Class rifles for the world championships in Canada this year. I can also personaly recommended him. He has both built and barrelled riffles for me, he stands behind his work like an old timer would.

Great; did not know about this guy; appreciated Sungazer :friends: I even work up here on the North Shore!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 20 Sep 2017, 8:45 am

Supaduke wrote:Seems like a path to nowhere. Buy a nice rifle and hack it to bits. What happens if you do all that and still don't make weight ?

I would be looking at more suitable options instead of trying to stuff a square peg into a round hole.

Gotta say I do agree with this.
It is quite likely that losing that much weight on that rifle is undoable without ruining it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by in2anity » 21 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

I think it's clear that such a procedure would be a bad idea, so I think I'll abandon this one. Thanks to all for their contribution.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing