Advice on removing muzzle cover/shroud ?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Advice on removing muzzle cover/shroud ?

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Sep 2017, 10:52 pm

100_4516.JPG
100_4516.JPG (330.21 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
100_4512.JPG
100_4512.JPG (413.03 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
100_4510.JPG
100_4510.JPG (383.86 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
I have a Stoeger X20 air rifle and want to remove the plastic cover over the tip of the barrel.

It appears to slide onto the muzzle, and is held in place by ( 1 ) grub screw.

I have removed the screw, and pulled and twisted the plastic cover, but to no avail.
It won't come off.

Can't see any other grub screws or pins in it.

Anybody know how it comes off ???????? :unknown:

Only reason why I want it off is because when I put the NiteSite on the scope the fore end cap and fibre optic blade creates a shadow.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Advice on removing muzzle cover/shroud ?

Post by straightshooter » 28 Sep 2017, 8:12 am

From the picture, judging by the moulding part line extending beyond only the tip you want to remove I would suggest that the whole thing is a moulding that extends down the barrel and possibly also contains the rear sight as well.
Check for more screws or pins further down or some other form of attachment.
It could also be that the front grub screw is in fact a sight adjustment and not an attachment at all.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Sep 2017, 9:16 pm

straightshooter wrote:From the picture, judging by the moulding part line extending beyond only the tip you want to remove I would suggest that the whole thing is a moulding that extends down the barrel and possibly also contains the rear sight as well.
Check for more screws or pins further down or some other form of attachment.
It could also be that the front grub screw is in fact a sight adjustment and not an attachment at all.

Grub screw is underneath the barrel, and when taken out,,, the steel barrel under is plainly visible, so that takes care of the possibility that its a sight adjusting screw.

The pics don't show it but the plastic molding ends completely only another 10 mm or so away,,,,, and there is definately no other screws or pins.

Thanks for your input tho,,,, :drinks:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2017, 9:43 pm

OK, probably glued too. If you can put the barrel in a freezer for about two hours. The steel will contract but plastic will not. It should break the plastic bond.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 28 Sep 2017, 9:44 pm

Looks exactly like my Hatsan, guessing the grub screw does bugger all and is more likely glued on but is the NiteSite rated to handle the double recoil of a springer air rifle??
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Sep 2017, 12:56 am

The manufacturers booklet that comes with the unit states that it is suitable for use with springer air rifles.
I checked this before I started using it with the air rifle,,,,,, good pick up though,, a lot of people may not have thought of it.

Manufacturer also states "The NiteSite units did not suffer any damage when tested with 100 rounds consecutively fired from a range of centre fire rifles up to and including 0.450 calibre rifle without moderators."

:thumbsup:

In the pics, its amazing how ragged the surface of the plastic comes up under the camera flash.
Not made any better looking by the small piece fractured out of the hood, (did that the last time I used it)
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Sep 2017, 7:36 pm

do you think you could put up a picture of the complete rifle with nite sight
I am just interested in how it is mounted
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Sep 2017, 9:19 pm

100_4518.JPG
100_4518.JPG (563.43 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
100_4517.JPG
100_4517.JPG (454.67 KiB) Viewed 5280 times
Pics as requested,
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Sep 2017, 9:44 pm

thanks for that :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 30 Sep 2017, 4:57 pm

I would hazard a guess and say its screwed on and the grub screw is to lock in place when tight , think of it like and extended barrel cap back along the barrel hold barrel in vice with timber ether side try to wiggle the shroud it may have loctite on it as well. what brand of firearm
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Sep 2017, 7:44 pm

pomemax wrote:I would hazard a guess and say its screwed on and the grub screw is to lock in place when tight , think of it like and extended barrel cap back along the barrel hold barrel in vice with timber ether side try to wiggle the shroud it may have loctite on it as well. what brand of firearm

Tried this to within a few thou of doing damage,,,,, with no joy.

It is a Stoeger X20
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 02 Oct 2017, 8:48 am

Having now seen the larger pictures it is apparent that it is intended to be a cocking grip as well as a front sight and as such it needs to be robustly attached.
So what methods of attachment are possible.
Moulded on - unlikely and it wouldn't need a grub screw.
Threaded on - unlikely, too expensive to manufacture.
That leaves pressed on or glued on both of which probably will be very resistant to removal.
I would suggest you contact the importer and ask to speak with their warranty repair gunsmith to find out if it can be safely removed as well as finding out if the replacement part is available.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Oct 2017, 12:09 pm

straightshooter wrote:Having now seen the larger pictures it is apparent that it is intended to be a cocking grip as well as a front sight and as such it needs to be robustly attached.
So what methods of attachment are possible.
Moulded on - unlikely and it wouldn't need a grub screw.
Threaded on - unlikely, too expensive to manufacture.
That leaves pressed on or glued on both of which probably will be very resistant to removal.
I would suggest you contact the importer and ask to speak with their warranty repair gunsmith to find out if it can be safely removed as well as finding out if the replacement part is available.

Thanks for that input Mate,
As I only use the nitesite on this "super occasionally" it all seems to much hassel to pursue.
Would've been great to simply undo the grub and slide it off, but seems that aint gonna happen.
The interference caused by it through the nitesite isn't a huge problem,,,, just annoying, but can at least still shoot ok with it.

Think I'll just put up with it for the few times that I use it on the air rifle.

Another idea that I recently thought of trying, is to tape a cardboard tube (maybe out of a dunny roll) over the objective lens.
In the book they suggest using a sunshade if the foresight or moderator interferes.
Must be worth a try.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 02 Oct 2017, 6:31 pm

I wouldn't totally write of it having a threaded muzzle as many air rifles (my Gamo does) get factory silencers in other markets with laws that arent as retarded as ours so I wouldn't be surprised if it had one because its cheaper to make one barrel and have them all threaded than tool up to make same thing with and without a thread.

Have you looked for a breakdown? I know on the Gamo website you can get breakdowns on all their stuff to order spares, should be able to see how its attached if you can find one for your Stoeger.Ive never researched Stoeger rifles myself(if there pellets are anything to go by im sure its not a piece of crap.) so am not familier with their website and/or product support.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm

Thanks Dunxy,,,,, you convinced me to go do what I shoulda done in the first place.

Just found an article/forum titled "Archer on Air Rifles" in which I clicked on a photo of the Muzzle grip both on and removed the barrel.
A further click and a forum page opened up with the very same question appearing,, along with other various comments concerning the difficulty in removing said grip/foresight.

Seems like a luck of the draw kinda thing as to whether its glued or not, and whether it comes off easily, or with a bit of persuasion.

Cheers,,,,,,,,, :drinks: :friends: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing