.22 Norinco jw15 or puma hunter mods

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

.22 Norinco jw15 or puma hunter mods

Post by Cherza » 18 Oct 2017, 8:50 pm

Hi there, first post and I hope you guys might be able to help.
I just brought myself a cheap puma hunter .22 and Just spent a bit of time cleaning the factory oil of and re oiling.
I'm woundering if anybody has done anything to smothen the bold so its not so notchy and lightned the trigger that might be able to give me a rundown on what to do and what I need to smothen out and give a polish.
Thanks
Sam
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: .22 Norinco jw15 or puma hunter mods

Post by Tripod » 19 Oct 2017, 2:33 am

Hey I met you in the shop when you picked it up. I was the one who opened the other part of the shop for you. With the cheaper rifles most of the time it's just a matter of a good light oil on the moving parts and sit there and work the bolt, The triggers usually need a good stoning and sometimes a new spring.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Oct 2017, 10:38 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these a copy of a CZ? If so, there are a lot of hints on www.rimfirecentral.com/forums
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Oct 2017, 2:10 pm

Cherza wrote:Hi there, first post and I hope you guys might be able to help.
I just brought myself a cheap puma hunter .22 and Just spent a bit of time cleaning the factory oil of and re oiling.
I'm woundering if anybody has done anything to smothen the bold so its not so notchy and lightned the trigger that might be able to give me a rundown on what to do and what I need to smothen out and give a polish.
Thanks
Sam

What sort of accuracy does it offer? I was asked my opinion of the JW15 but I can't tell if it shoots okay or not. I'm very impressed with my JW21 lever but that's a very different action.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jmr22 » 19 Oct 2017, 2:16 pm

My mate up the road bought a Norinco and he had lots of trouble sorting out the notchy bolt, I'll ask how he sorted it.
.177 auto pellet gun
.22lr Marlin box
.22lr Marlin tube mag
.243 Sterling
.30-06 Argentinian
12ga Armed o/u
12ga straight pull STP
jmr22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by southeast varmiter » 19 Oct 2017, 2:37 pm

Try Eley ammo. They all love it.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 19 Oct 2017, 3:52 pm

Got a Dremel ? I used one on my jw-25 chauser. Took a few burrs off and then a bit of a Polish. Runs like glass now .
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Cherza » 19 Oct 2017, 5:58 pm

Tripod wrote:Hey I met you in the shop when you picked it up. I was the one who opened the other part of the shop for you. With the cheaper rifles most of the time it's just a matter of a good light oil on the moving parts and sit there and work the bolt, The triggers usually need a good stoning and sometimes a new spring.

Thanks mate, I sat here for a while last night and re oiled everything including pulling the bolt apart and worked the bolt for a while.
The safety might need some work its pretty stiff might come back and get some advice from you on where exactly to hone.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 19 Oct 2017, 5:59 pm

jmr22 wrote:My mate up the road bought a Norinco and he had lots of trouble sorting out the notchy bolt, I'll ask how he sorted it.

Thanks heaps mate
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 19 Oct 2017, 6:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Cherza wrote:Hi there, first post and I hope you guys might be able to help.
Thanks
Sam

What sort of accuracy does it offer? I was asked my opinion of the JW15 but I can't tell if it shoots okay or not. I'm very impressed with my JW21 lever but that's a very different action.

I havnt fired mine yet but I here they are very good with the right ammo.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 19 Oct 2017, 6:08 pm

Supaduke wrote:Got a Dremel ? I used one on my jw-25 chauser. Took a few burrs off and then a bit of a Polish. Runs like glass now .

Yeah mate I just need to work out where to attack it with out stuffing it.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 19 Oct 2017, 6:11 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:Try Eley ammo. They all love it.

Thanks mate Im planning on getting a box of everything I can get just to see what works and what doesnt
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by straightshooter » 20 Oct 2017, 8:04 am

A friend just recently bought a JW15 and I examined the barrel with a borescope and found it to be quite OK and certainly better than some US made cheapies I have examined.
My advice is to just cycle the bolt a lot. Best way is to go through a couple of bricks of cheap ammo, so go somewhere where you can do a lot of shooting without bothering anybody. The added advantage is that you will become familiar and confident with that rifle.
The action will get about as smooth as it ever likely to get that way. If you try to smooth it up yourself there is a good chance you may make matters worse, permanently.
If after a couple of bricks of ammo you are still dissatisfied with the trigger get somebody who knows what they are doing to tune it for you.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Cherza » 20 Oct 2017, 5:47 pm

straightshooter wrote:A friend just recently bought a JW15 and I examined the barrel with a borescope and found it to be quite OK and certainly better than some US made cheapies I have examined.
My advice is to just cycle the bolt a lot. Best way is to go through a couple of bricks of cheap ammo, so go somewhere where you can do a lot of shooting without bothering anybody. The added advantage is that you will become familiar and confident with that rifle.
The action will get about as smooth as it ever likely to get that way. If you try to smooth it up yourself there is a good chance you may make matters worse, permanently.
If after a couple of bricks of ammo you are still dissatisfied with the trigger get somebody who knows what they are doing to tune it for you.

Thanks straitshooter I think I will take your advice all I will do is try clean up a few nasty looking burs.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Oct 2017, 7:20 pm

Speaking of the barrel, I recall helping a member with his JW. I suggested that at first, he should clean the bore of his NIB rifle with a loose patch. I reasoned that if there were any metal chips in there, that the loose patch would not force them against the rifling. I don't know how rational that idea is but the loose patch had bright specks on it. Gradually, the tightness of following patches was increased. No specks were evident. S'pose we got 'em all. Hope so.
IMO, unless you boil out the barrel, I think it is the way to go.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Cherza » 20 Oct 2017, 9:27 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Speaking of the barrel, I recall helping a member with his JW. I suggested that at first, he should clean the bore of his NIB rifle with a loose patch. I reasoned that if there were any metal chips in there, that the loose patch would not force them against the rifling. I don't know how rational that idea is but the loose patch had bright specks on it. Gradually, the tightness of following patches was increased. No specks were evident. S'pose we got 'em all. Hope so.
IMO, unless you boil out the barrel, I think it is the way to go.

The best way I could think of was spraying the barrel with degreaser to get the factory oil out and then I put a dry patch through until clean.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Oct 2017, 11:16 am

Sounds good Cherza :D :thumbsup:
But please tell this old geezer what spray de-greaser is. I'm a bit behind the times ;)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 21 Oct 2017, 11:31 am

It's degreaser in an aerosol can
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Oct 2017, 1:20 pm

Thanks Supa. Sounds handy
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Cherza » 21 Oct 2017, 5:51 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Sounds good Cherza :D :thumbsup:
But please tell this old geezer what spray de-greaser is. I'm a bit behind the times ;)

Supaduke is correct just a can degreaser from repco.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 21 Oct 2017, 5:57 pm

I took a few burrs off with a stone I use for my knifes it worked a treat.
Safety is still a bit stiff I might try some synthetic grease.
I managed to get out for a shot today it didnt shoot to bad.
Tonight im going to free float the barrel.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 21 Oct 2017, 7:37 pm

Just finished free floating the barrel.
I was going to upload some pics but having a few dramas with the 1g limit
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 21 Oct 2017, 7:49 pm

The free floating barrel has come up well I had to take allot out.
Attachments
20171021_202238_crop_300x300.jpg
20171021_202238_crop_300x300.jpg (66.3 KiB) Viewed 8405 times
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Oct 2017, 9:32 pm

Could have missed something but did not expect you to float the barrel. It's the first thing I did to my CZ.
Do you know how to test the bedding?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Cherza » 22 Oct 2017, 6:36 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Could have missed something but did not expect you to float the barrel. It's the first thing I did to my CZ.
Do you know how to test the bedding?

Didnt mension it in my first post but I Had everything here so I thought I'd do it.
I think because the barrel was making contact with the forend of the stock the front lug was not making contact with the stock when the stock.
No I dont know the correct way for testing the bedding, could you explain it please.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Oct 2017, 9:10 am

Sounds like you have a lump attached to the barrel's under-side, like a 452 CZ. That arrangement is very difficult to deal with, I am sorry to say. Briefly then and IMO, the whole rifle should sit on the bottom of that lump and the underside of the action, at the rear take-down bolt. No contact between those two areas. Because this bedding arrangement is unlike others where there are screws at the front and rear of the action, it cannot be tested as far as I know. When I did my 452, tension on the bolt at the front "lug", was a big influence on vertical dispersion.
How far in front of the action is the lug?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Cherza » 22 Oct 2017, 9:37 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Sounds like you have a lump attached to the barrel's under-side, like a 452 CZ. That arrangement is very difficult to deal with, I am sorry to say. Briefly then and IMO, the whole rifle should sit on the bottom of that lump and the underside of the action, at the rear take-down bolt. No contact between those two areas. Because this bedding arrangement is unlike others where there are screws at the front and rear of the action, it cannot be tested as far as I know. When I did my 452, tension on the bolt at the front "lug", was a big influence on vertical dispersion.
How far in front of the action is the lug?

That is correct its a little round dove tail lug.
Its about a inch in front of the action from memory
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Oct 2017, 12:06 pm

I thought so. That is probably a better idea than my old 452 which was much further out down the barrel. The same comments/recommendations apply, however. The idea is to bed under the action, at the take-down bolt, shoot it and see what it is like.
But now that you have floated the barrel, I would try that first. You might be happy with that. If you are are novice with tools :unknown: it will be hard going. It is a great pity that there is no-one down there who could show you, one on one. Let us know how you go mate.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Cherza » 22 Oct 2017, 3:00 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I thought so. That is probably a better idea than my old 452 which was much further out down the barrel. The same comments/recommendations apply, however. The idea is to bed under the action, at the take-down bolt, shoot it and see what it is like.
But now that you have floated the barrel, I would try that first. You might be happy with that. If you are are novice with tools :unknown: it will be hard going. It is a great pity that there is no-one down there who could show you, one on one. Let us know how you go mate.

Thanks I have done a few in the past one was a cz the other a synthetic rem700.
I will see how I go.
Cheers
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 22 Oct 2017, 10:20 pm

Well I just finished my first trigger job.
It actually feels ok now im pretty sure they have a two stage trigger correct me if im wrong.
It was so heavy before you had to keep on squeezing it and just wait for it to break.
I found two pen springs the first being to light.
After a bit of playing with the adjustment screw and adding a few shims to limit over travel becuase the sear kept on catching, the slightly heavier spring felt pretty good.
After that i closed the bolt hard and gave it the bump test and it passed.
I havn't tested the weight yet but the first stage is nice and light then you can feel when its going to break hopefully this is two stage and its not just creep?
Ether way I can live with it its heaps better.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Next

Return to Gunsmithing