Rebarrel - Mauser FN 308

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rebarrel - Mauser FN 308

Post by KennyA » 24 Oct 2017, 8:30 am

Hi,

I currently have a Mauser FN chambered in 308. (fab nat d'armes de guerre herstal belgique)
It has been modified years ago into a sporter style rifle.
I'm considering getting it a new barrel as the current one has served its time.
This is a budget project.

I see a few ex military 6.5x55 being sold for between $80 and $150 on the net. Can these be fitted..? I know the internal mag length is huge.
Or are there other aftermarket options. Anything that will fit a 308 bolt face.
I'm told that it will cost me around the $150 for a gunsmith to change the barrel and do the headspacing.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

20160819_075031 (800x339).jpg
20160819_075031 (800x339).jpg (322.51 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Rebarrel - Mauser FN 308

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Oct 2017, 9:14 am

I personally would get a brand new barrel you can then get whatever cartridge, barrel length, twist rate and youll have a brand new bore! Any gunsmith will do it but itll cost around $900-1000 depending.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 24 Oct 2017, 9:42 am

Forget about an ex military 6.5 barrel as it will likely be for a small ring mauser so the barrel tenon major diameter will be too small at 1.0" instead of 1.1" for a large ring mauser such as yours.
More importantly how have you established that your present barrel is unserviceable?
Have you considered the wisdom of spending $500+ on a rifle that will still only be worth $500 or even less when this camo fad falls out of fashion.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Oct 2017, 10:03 am

Yeah KennyA its like MalleeFarmer has said I am going through this at the moment I looked at second hand barrels but wasn't
fussed on them
My rifle is a mauser WERKE mod 2000 ''ORIGINAL''it at the moment it is 22-250 it originally was a 30-06
Anyway I have just received a written quote for $900 to fit and true and return it back to 30-06
Also as MalleeFarmer said you can pick any caliber except the ones that have a bigger brass head size like .300 WM
So you are really governed by your bolt face although there are umpdeen calibers that are the same size bolt face as yours
I'm not sure if you can alter the face of your bolt to larger or whether you could change the bolt to a larger face and still use the same action
Somebody on the forum with a better knowledge of gunsmithing than me could probably tell you if it could be done
I've done basically the same as you by looking around and money is a big factor but mate '' Buy Once Cry Once''

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Post by Supaduke » 24 Oct 2017, 10:41 am

For that sort of cash a new rifle would be better.

Anything can be done , check out the local Militaria fairs, seen fellas there with boxes of various barrels. You never know , you might get lucky.

Getting a good job done cheaply though is another story.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Oct 2017, 12:34 pm

Supaduke wrote:For that sort of cash a new rifle would be better.

Anything can be done , check out the local Militaria fairs, seen fellas there with boxes of various barrels. You never know , you might get lucky.

Getting a good job done cheaply though is another story.

I wouldnt bet on a new rifle being better. A good mauser is as good or better than any new action and when paired with a custom barrel in your choice of calibre profile twist etc. is far better than a factory rifle of similar money.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Oct 2017, 1:03 pm

Supaduke wrote:I wouldnt bet on a new rifle being better. A good mauser is as good or better than any new action and when paired with a custom barrel in your choice of calibre profile twist etc. is far better than a factory rifle of similar money.

We still are not quite sure as to why the current barrel "has served its time". I am wondering, if that is true of the barrel, what is the action's condition?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Oct 2017, 5:42 pm

Perhaps the OP is sick of .308 :allegedly:
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Oct 2017, 7:20 pm

G'day KennyA,
Cheap is really not an option, as others noted the Swede won't fit due to being a small ring. If you retain the 308, then good Israeli barrels, most of which will be Czech or Belgian, can be had for around $2-300, but you need to look at them before shelling out the dough, or a new Lothar Walther barrel for $420. Any other "gunshow" barrel is likely to be ex-military, so 8mm or 7mm are the main choices. Either, in good condition, are going to be around $300+. Your best bet for a budget build is to ask around the gunsmiths for a "swap out" barrel in any calibre that suits the 98 bolt and see what pops up, good luck.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by KennyA » 24 Oct 2017, 7:56 pm

Wow......not what I expected.

Considering that you can now buy a new rifle (Howa, Ruger, Remington, Savage, Mossberg, Thompson etc.) for between $600 and $800. Rebarreling an old long action Mauser for a hunting rifle, is not really an economical option. Looks like the old 308 is now a save queen.

Thanks for the replies.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Tripod » 24 Oct 2017, 8:14 pm

If you want a calibre that is readily available then just buy a new rifle, It is only worth rebarreling if you want something that is not available. Having said that there are much cheaper new barrels available than what has been quoted here.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 26 Oct 2017, 10:40 am

it's totally up to you what you want to do with the mauser and if you rebarrelled it what do you want to gain :unknown:
I have a few customised mausers because I like them and they all shoot dots
because I went to a really good smith who liked working on mausers and used quality parts
if you really believe you will get a factory rifle to have the repeatability and consistency of a custom mauser think again
I have had comp guys in the past laugh at the guy who put his money into a mauser action then they are all over me when they see them shoot
I have also been told by the experts that you will never get your money back, I do and have many people who want to buy my rifles,
but really who does get there money back an any build what ever the make
anyway here is a couple of mine
as I said its up to you what you want to do and if you think its worth it, these rifles cost me around the same price as a custom action each
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by phill55phill » 25 Jun 2021, 5:47 pm

Marksman who does your gunsmithing i have a fn barreled to 6.5x55 and looking at building another in 257 roberts and saw your post
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 26 Jun 2021, 1:13 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day KennyA,
Cheap is really not an option, as others noted the Swede won't fit due to being a small ring. If you retain the 308, then good Israeli barrels, most of which will be Czech or Belgian, can be had for around $2-300, but you need to look at them before shelling out the dough, or a new Lothar Walther barrel for $420. Any other "gunshow" barrel is likely to be ex-military, so 8mm or 7mm are the main choices. Either, in good condition, are going to be around $300+. Your best bet for a budget build is to ask around the gunsmiths for a "swap out" barrel in any calibre that suits the 98 bolt and see what pops up, good luck.

The 96's are definitely small ring. And what is written above is the good oil. :clap:
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 26 Jun 2021, 7:56 am

I had a mauser action years back and the barrel finally started to show wear and tear. Got quotes for a new barrel but ended up with a new rifle for lesser cost at the time.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing