Pillar bedding question

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Pillar bedding question

Post by Cherza » 25 Oct 2017, 1:38 pm

I have a norinco jw15 I want to put pillars in.
It has two action screws, the action does not make any contact with the stock where the middle screw goes so I was thinking about making a aluminim pillar that will make contact with the action and then glass bed it.
What do you guys think?
Attachments
20171025_141502_crop_691x969.jpg
20171025_141502_crop_691x969.jpg (439.92 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Pillar bedding question

Post by Cherza » 25 Oct 2017, 4:02 pm

sungazer wrote:I think your going to struggle to get pillars in there. there is simply not enough stock material there to work with. You would have to come up with some special shape pillars IMHO that you can anchor well into the stock. They are also using that front pillar or take down point as a recoil lug.

So what your saying is because there is not unough stock for the epoxy to hold?
What special shape pillars are you thinking?
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 25 Oct 2017, 4:12 pm

Ok will check it out It may be out of my capabilities though.
When bedding is applied do we applie apoxy around that recoil lug and do I put masking tape around it for clearance?
I have bedded actions before but they had a flat type recoil lug I masked the front and sides.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 25 Oct 2017, 4:45 pm

I was under the impression that bedding in the stock should of been tight up against underneath the lug.
Cheers
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Cherza » 25 Oct 2017, 5:42 pm

Ok thanks you have explained that very well
Do you think I am better off glass bedding the action from the front of the action to the back?
Leave out the pillars and leave the hole for the front action screw/recoil lug as it is?
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Oct 2017, 7:48 pm

Thanks for posting that pic Cherza. You have a difficult job in front of you. I still think you should bed the rear first. Initially, there is no need for a pillar. Remove the magazine and trigger box and bed in epoxy, the flat rectangular area of stock behind the mag cutout and half way up the sides of the action. Use Blu-Tak in front and behind the epoxy to stop it spreading. There should be a de-headed 50mm bolt screwed in to the action. Coat metal with release agent. Maybe wind leccy tape round the bolt. Clamp the barrel at around the fore sight in a padded vice, right way up. Install the stock from underneath. Use the long bolt as a guide. Install the front bolt loosely. Remove the rear guide bolt and install the take down bolt coated with release agent. Tighten each bolt say one turn at a time until the action and barrel are drawn down into the stock at their mid points. When you've got that done, we'll do a bit more.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Cherza » 25 Oct 2017, 8:17 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Thanks for posting that pic Cherza. You have a difficult job in front of you. I still think you should bed the rear first. Initially, there is no need for a pillar. Remove the magazine and trigger box and bed in epoxy, the flat rectangular area of stock behind the mag cutout and half way up the sides of the action. Use Blu-Tak in front and behind the epoxy to stop it spreading. There should be a de-headed 50mm bolt screwed in to the action. Coat metal with release agent. Maybe wind leccy tape round the bolt. Clamp the barrel at around the fore sight in a padded vice, right way up. Install the stock from underneath. Use the long bolt as a guide. Install the front bolt loosely. Remove the rear guide bolt and install the take down bolt coated with release agent. Tighten each bolt say one turn at a time until the action and barrel are drawn down into the stock at their mid points. When you've got that done, we'll do a bit more.

Thanks mate I will make a start next week how much material would you take out for the epoxy or just a light sand just to help it bond?
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Oct 2017, 8:47 pm

Clean the stock with acetone. Use coarse paper and then drill say 1mm deep with a 3mm drill. Try to get the holes close together. Sand through the outer layer. Use a clean drill :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 26 Oct 2017, 6:22 am

It's just a 22lr, glass bedding will be fine. No need for pillars with the torque required on 22lr action (king) screws.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Oct 2017, 6:28 am

Take magwell and triger off. Stop every recess with plastecein, coat action with a release agent, key the stock and fill with a good bedding compound.

Look up Nathan Fosyer's instructions on bedding at ballisticstudies.com
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Cherza » 29 Nov 2017, 8:06 pm

Hi there sorry its been a while.
Bedding turned out well, I used devcon epoxy but I'm yet to test it.
Should havea update how it shoots in a few weeks.
Cherza
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Nov 2017, 11:42 am

Thanks Cherza :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing