Howa Trigger Trouble.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Howa Trigger Trouble.

Post by MalleeFarmer » 28 Oct 2017, 11:21 am

I have a worked howa trigger on my 6SLR and it hasnt been engaging properly and now it will not hold the bolt open but just lets the bolt slide past as you cock the rifle. I took the trigger off and found the sear is not engaging at all. Does anyone know why this may be happening?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Howa Trigger Trouble.

Post by darwindingo » 28 Oct 2017, 7:44 pm

Could it be an adjustment thing, I thought the sear engagement could be adjusted on them ? Stuffed sear spring perhaps ?
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Oct 2017, 10:33 pm

Adjust it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 29 Oct 2017, 6:03 am

Cheers guys the sear spring was too loose and not putting enough pressure on the sear to engage. So its fixed but im concerned that now its at full adjustment and may not be for long. We will see.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 29 Oct 2017, 6:20 am

Probably dust, grit or some other kind of rubbish has found it's way into your trigger mechanism.
Best approach is to thoroughly wash it in a solvent like kero and don't use any oils in the trigger mechanism with the possible exception of a little (and I mean little) moly grease on the sear/cocking piece interface.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2017, 6:45 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:Cheers guys the sear spring was too loose and not putting enough pressure on the sear to engage. So its fixed but im concerned that now its at full adjustment and may not be for long. We will see.

Send it to Glen Coughlan (Ebay Trigger Guy) if you have any more issues with it, he should be able to sort it out for you. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cooper » 29 Oct 2017, 7:15 am

bigfellascott wrote:
MalleeFarmer wrote:Cheers guys the sear spring was too loose and not putting enough pressure on the sear to engage. So its fixed but im concerned that now its at full adjustment and may not be for long. We will see.

Send it to Glen Coughlan (Ebay Trigger Guy) if you have any more issues with it, he should be able to sort it out for you. :thumbsup:

That reminds me. I need to send my trigger back to Glen to see if he can get it right. Mine come back with not enough sear engagement ( glen tests it on a jig-not in the rifle). I adjusted the sear (rear screw) which seemed to work. But then if I cycled the bolt fast/firm it wouldn't always engage. Tried adjusting the sear and trigger pull weight. But issue not 100% solved. The trigger feels like it has two personality's. Sometimes it has abit of Creep and other times it doesn't. Plus I don't have much confidence in it. So I bought a Timney for it which seems pretty good out of the box.

I am not really knocking Glen's trigger work. I've felt other triggers that he has done and they have been excellent. He does have a policy that he will adjust for free if not happy. You just need to pay return postage.
Last edited by Cooper on 30 Oct 2017, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2017, 8:17 am

Cooper wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

That reminds me. I need to send my trigger back to Glen to see if he can get it right. Mine come back with not enough sear engagement ( glen tests it on a jig-not in the rifle). I adjusted the sear (rear screw) which seemed to work. But then if I cycled the bolt fast/firm it wouldn't always engage. Try adjusting the sear and trigger pull weight. But issue not 100% solve. The trigger feels like it has two personality's. Sometimes it has abit of Creep and other times it doesn't. Plus I don't have much confidence in it. Some I bought a Timney for it which seems pretty good out of the box.

I am not really knocking Glen's trigger work. I've felt other triggers that he has done and they have been excellent. He does have a policy that he will adjust for free if not happy. You just need to pay return postage.

Yeah send it back and he will sort it for you. I had one of mine that was a little sensitive when I got it back from him but it was an easy fix (a small tweak on a screw and it was sorted) the downside of not actually having the rifle to tune it too but easy enough to sort oneself with the adjustment info Glen sends with the triggers. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 29 Oct 2017, 8:50 am

straightshooter wrote:Probably dust, grit or some other kind of rubbish has found it's way into your trigger mechanism.
Best approach is to thoroughly wash it in a solvent like kero and don't use any oils in the trigger mechanism with the possible exception of a little (and I mean little) moly grease on the sear/cocking piece interface.
i sprayed the whole thing out with brake cleaner and tensioned it up seemed to fix it.

It has been to Glen came back awesome when i first put it on. but got me a little worried for a short while. should be good though now i hope.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 29 Oct 2017, 7:23 pm

Good to hear it's working now, however I would probably still consider sending it off... Having to go to maximum adjustment makes me question the serviceability of the spring or question if the sear is moving as freely as it should.. May be best to be sure me thinks :thumbsup:

Edit...
MalleeFarmer wrote:It has been to Glen came back awesome when i first put it on.

Something changed that required adjustment, In fact maximum adjustment.. I'm really not convinced this issue is solved and suspect the spring.... btw... how much adjustment was required to get to maximum ?

If the required adjustment was minor to get to maximum then I suspect the spring may have barely been serviceable at the time it was last adjusted or some other issue was present at the time ( that was perhaps overlooked). Note.. (I'm not having a shot at Glen in any way)..... If the required adjustment was more significant then I would suspect the spring may have since suffered some kind of failure or that something else is binding in the mechanism, although you said you cleaned it so my suspicion is leaning more towards an issue with the spring..

Perhaps I'm being anal but I just think to ensure fully functioning and safe operation of the firearm, its important to get to the bottom of why you needed to adjust it, specifically to the maximum level..... :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 30 Oct 2017, 6:25 am

I think you may be correct Dingo. I will see how it goes have a few more loads to test so i will see how it goes for these and if im not convinced I’ll send it back to him.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Oct 2017, 11:17 am

He offers a very good warranty on his work, so no cost to recheck it for you.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 30 Oct 2017, 10:53 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:I think you may be correct Dingo. I will see how it goes have a few more loads to test so i will see how it goes for these and if im not convinced I’ll send it back to him.

Let me know how it all goes please... I'm curious to see what the end result is... :friends: :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Return to Gunsmithing