Stupid Stuff - 3D printed guns

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Stupid Stuff - 3D printed guns

Post by burnthelies » 19 Jul 2013, 1:20 pm

Anybody else catch this article in the news? I'm not sure about you but given the immense pressures firearms create i'm not sure i would want to be doing this stuff (let alone the illegality of it)

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/d ... 2q8l5.html
burnthelies
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Stupid Stuff - 3D printed guns

Post by Blackened » 24 Jul 2013, 11:25 am

The guy in the article sums it up best.

I've got it to go off a grand total of once," out of about 200 attempts, the 31-year-old software engineer said

Contrary to what the anti's are saying, it doesn't quite sound like people are running off plastic assault rifles any time soon (or ever?)

Reliability aside, I'll be sticking to steel too. I don't much fancy firing a plastic firearm.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 24 Jul 2013, 11:35 am

Oh, repeating something posted earlier on the subject too...

From what I've seen of them people are printing firearm components, but nothing that resembles a functional weapon.

Printing things like lower receivers, mags, stocks, grips etc.

The layered plastic appears very weak though. I've read of people making AR15 mags which wear out after 100 rounds.

I agree it's very cool technology, I think you could do some great custom rifle stocks with it. Maybe only smaller calibres though? You wouldn't want the action breaking through the rear of the stock and flying into you obviously...
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Sakoh » 24 Jul 2013, 12:13 pm

They pistols they are printing look like nerf guns or something :/
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Granting » 25 Jul 2013, 8:47 am

Blackened wrote:The guy in the article sums it up best.

I've got it to go off a grand total of once," out of about 200 attempts, the 31-year-old software engineer said

Contrary to what the anti's are saying, it doesn't quite sound like people are running off plastic assault rifles any time soon (or ever?)

Reliability aside, I'll be sticking to steel too. I don't much fancy firing a plastic firearm.

1/200 change of blowing yourself up? ha.
Tikka T3 Camo Stainless 30-06 w/ Zeiss Duralyt 3–12x50
Sako A11 22-250
Remington M514 22LR
Granting
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing