Spring tension maintenance

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Spring tension maintenance

Post by gherx » 23 Dec 2013, 8:54 am

Hi guys,

I'll need to clean my bolt for the first time soon and have looked up a bunch of how-to's, no worries for most stuff.

No one mentions the bolt spring though if anything I've seen. Other than just greasing it.

Is there anything to be done for maintaining spring at all? Checking compression or tension or stretching or... Anything?

Cheers.
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Spring tension maintenance

Post by VICHunter » 23 Dec 2013, 9:10 am

A suitable grease and you've no doubt already read, then leave it alone.

Definitely do not start pulling/compressing the spring.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 23 Dec 2013, 9:17 am

VICHunter wrote:Definitely do not start pulling/compressing the spring.

Sure fire way to muck up your rifle.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 23 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm

gherx wrote:Hi guys,

I'll need to clean my bolt for the first time soon and have looked up a bunch of how-to's, no worries for most stuff.

No one mentions the bolt spring though if anything I've seen. Other than just greasing it.

Is there anything to be done for maintaining spring at all? Checking compression or tension or stretching or... Anything?

Cheers.

I only oil my bolt springs and firing pins, you don't want extra friction or grit attracted. I always grease the cam surfaces and the locking lugs but that is all. Perhaps the best thing you can do for a bolt is de-cock it when storing.

Pretty much the only time you need to worry about spring tension etc is target shooting, I replace firing pin springs every 2000 shots. Only because that is what I was told to do, and yes you can see a difference in free spring length between a new one, one that has been fired 1000 times and one that has 2000 shots under its belt.

Is it critical? I don't think so, not unless you are getting pierced primers, mis fires or other issues.

All that said and done I have a 1917 WW1 mauser that was left cocked as a display piece on a wall in 1920 until I bought it last year for $80 and after cleaning all the grease and junk out of it still functions well.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 23 Dec 2013, 1:56 pm

Warrigul wrote:I only oil my bolt springs and firing pins, you don't want extra friction or grit attracted. I always grease the cam surfaces and the locking lugs but that is all. Perhaps the best thing you can do for a bolt is de-cock it when storing.

Ditto. Just a strip down, clean, grease, then back in it goes. I do mine when the bolt raise starts to stiffen up which is maybe around 350 rounds or so in my centrefires?

Dry fire to release firing pin then back in the safe they go.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by gherx » 02 Jan 2014, 4:56 pm

Thanks guys.

I was over thinking it obviously.

I'll just give it a clean every few months, no worries :)
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by creet » 04 Jan 2014, 4:38 pm

Lorgar wrote: Just a strip down, clean, grease, then back in it goes.

Is this still shooting we're talking about? :lol:
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50mm
creet
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing