Stoked with .22 Dasher build

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Stoked with .22 Dasher build

Post by marksman » 02 May 2018, 9:43 am

ok, not painful at all Stix

*the seating depth for the ocw was 10 thou off touch for the 24th march test

*I used 10 thou increments on the oal test for that pill, the 60 gr sierra because it is a small length pill but say for a 30 cal pill would use 20 thou increments for an oal test and may fine tune test after that

*in the latest post yes that is an ocw maxed out at 34gr of powder, the charge increment jump was .4 of a grain
I use this for most cases to show clocking and big differences that may be worth exploring further
that test showed a definite ocw, and no need for fine tuning IMO
the smaller z-max projectile's are rebranded vmax the larger eg... 30 cal 168gr z-max are rebranded a-max

IMO you can be as basic or difficult as you want to be with this type of thing
I do a hell of a lot more than some but nowhere near as much as some
this was not an easy one to load for as there is no data available so it was try it out but beware of pressure
the hardest thing I have found is to figure out your max load for anything you reload,
then I foul the barrel and try it out in big enough increments where you will see a pattern, the ocw
some work straight away some you need to try something else, there is nothing written in stone
sometimes there is no straight answer, it can be a real bast@rd, sometimes :drinks:
marksman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 01 Jan 2019, 3:50 pm

around 12 months on from when I started this project and I was out today finally to test the 80gr bergers that came with the second hand barrel I bought and had fitted for this very old mauser 98 varmint rifle
I have to say the rifle really likes these projectiles and does not seem to be fussy with them at all,
I have no references to load data for this wildcat cartridge at all and have used quickload to try and figure out where to start but more importantly where to stop, I had no pressure signs with what I tested but need to chrony to tweek the quickload extrapolation,
I really dont think I have to I'm happy with these results,
the difference from start to finish is 2 grains of powder and the target shows very similar clocking from the start to finish
this OCW target from today was shot at 200 yards with bad mirage so I'm very sure the rifle will shoot this projectile much better in better conditions and out to much further distances

considering that this build cost under $2500 in total, including, rifle, dies, barrel, scope, mounts, cases, gunsmith work and a few other bits I am very happy with the results and I can see it likes the 80gr bergers more than anything else
I have shot quite a few rabbits and roos with it using the 55gr zmax that I worked a load up for but I will try the 80gr projectiles for culling roo's on tags
very happy :drinks:
marksman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2019, 6:33 pm

Looking good mate, she's ready to go splat some bunnie heads by the looks of it. :D
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jan 2019, 6:16 pm

Tough conditions to be load testing, more fun than I had at work. What happened to group 5? Is that a wind change?
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 02 Jan 2019, 6:25 pm

Definitely looks like she's a keeper marksman!!! Nice work :D :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jan 2019, 6:29 pm

The Roos are in trouble :D
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by marksman » 02 Jan 2019, 6:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Tough conditions to be load testing, more fun than I had at work. What happened to group 5? Is that a wind change?

it was very tough conditions, group five was a hot barrel and I thought to myself good enough so really it was me :wtf:
doesn't matter though I'm retesting groups between #1 and #2 target again
it is a keeper :thumbsup: and the roo's are in big trouble :drinks:
I'm very happy with it especially everything being secondhand on it, it was a gamble
its my hobby and what I spend my money on since I gave up ciggies 10 years ago :thumbsup:
marksman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ziad » 03 Jan 2019, 4:46 am

Have you accounted for the increase in.price of cigs in the last 10 years. I remember pack of 20 selling for well under 10 bucks when i used to work at a shop. and then got told that when a friend moved to aus he was paying 2bucks a packet and smoked like a chimney...even the cheapest 20 packs are $20+
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jan 2019, 7:55 am

Excellent thread, very informative.
Had to look up .22 dasher. Weird looking case...cool as hell.
Thanks.
Tikka T3 .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g
Steyr Pro Hunt 30-06 (Dud!!!)
Sauer 100 30-06
TassieTiger
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Tasmania

Previous