Stoked with .22 Dasher build

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Stoked with .22 Dasher build

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Jan 2019, 6:33 pm

Looking good mate, she's ready to go splat some bunnie heads by the looks of it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jan 2019, 6:16 pm

Tough conditions to be load testing, more fun than I had at work. What happened to group 5? Is that a wind change?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 02 Jan 2019, 6:25 pm

Definitely looks like she's a keeper marksman!!! Nice work :D :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jan 2019, 6:29 pm

The Roos are in trouble :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 02 Jan 2019, 6:51 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Tough conditions to be load testing, more fun than I had at work. What happened to group 5? Is that a wind change?

it was very tough conditions, group five was a hot barrel and I thought to myself good enough so really it was me :wtf:
doesn't matter though I'm retesting groups between #1 and #2 target again
it is a keeper :thumbsup: and the roo's are in big trouble :drinks:
I'm very happy with it especially everything being secondhand on it, it was a gamble
its my hobby and what I spend my money on since I gave up ciggies 10 years ago :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Jan 2019, 4:46 am

Have you accounted for the increase in.price of cigs in the last 10 years. I remember pack of 20 selling for well under 10 bucks when i used to work at a shop. and then got told that when a friend moved to aus he was paying 2bucks a packet and smoked like a chimney...even the cheapest 20 packs are $20+
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jan 2019, 7:55 am

Excellent thread, very informative.
Had to look up .22 dasher. Weird looking case...cool as hell.
Thanks.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 29 Oct 2019, 3:37 pm

a little tool l have made to check for a carbon ring in my dasher because l have been experiencing pressure every now and then,
its not my idea but l thought some may be interested

l shortened the neck on a case and fitted a fired 22 rimfire case so it will slide snuggly inside the neck of the case and fit the neck diameter of my chamber
this way l can keep an eye on the carbon before l get any pressure signs :drinks:
l should also say that this rifle has a tight and short neck, the reason why l need to keep on top of the carbon ring
it IMO would not really be necessary for a factory chamber

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 29 Oct 2019, 7:13 pm

There is a new electronic bore scope available that is miles ahead of the electronic bore scopes to date. This one has a 90 deg mirror which really is an essential part of the scope so you can look at the bore like the barrel was split in half and looking down on the cross section. Previous electronic scopes lacked this mirror and could only look ahead, they also lacked the close focusing to get a crisp clean detailed picture. Best of all this scope only costs $50US it works out at $90 Aus all up including delivery.

The scope is a Teslong and can be purchased direct from the manufacture www.teslong.com it takes a while for delivery from China which is a shame that we cant buy it from Amazon like in the US as they are getting them delivered very quickly.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by GQshayne » 29 Oct 2019, 7:48 pm

So if the .22LR case gets stuck on extraction then you have carbon build up?
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 29 Oct 2019, 8:35 pm

The tool Marksman has made is to measure the neck area of the chamber. It is a tool that needs to be used when the chamber is totally clean to start with a measurement can then be taken. This becomes the benchmark. From then on the measurements are largely comparative. If he gets a reading lower than the standard then something is blocking the tool in the neck area. This is most commonly carbon. 99.9% of the time.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 29 Oct 2019, 9:22 pm

Hmmm...interesting...

So...exactly where does this carbon ring build up, & how easy does it happen. ..?..

And i assume you've had that chambered to pretty tight tolerances marksman, which brings me to ask how delicate must you push that tool in to feel the carbon...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 30 Oct 2019, 7:57 pm

the tool is fairly snug to use but the way it is used is to measure after chambering and closing the bolt, l know what it should be because l own the reamer and have a print for it, when l have found problems is after forming brass but it will be handy for checking from time to time
this could be made for any 22 cal case with a 22 rimfire case

l have looked at the teslong bore scopes a while ago,
dmoran from the elite long range competition site did a review but it was not the new $50 one that will fit from 22 cal it was the older NTS150B
l think you may be helping me spend my money sungazer :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

here is a graphic from Tony Boyer's book "the book of rifle accuracy", page 156 that shows where the carbon ring would be.
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by 224nut » 16 Dec 2019, 8:50 pm

I have worn out three 22-250 barrels and haven't been happy with the accuracy of any of them. Have been shooting 22PPC benchrest, then down grading these to field shooting when their best barrel life is gone. By keeping everything the same (Remington 700) swapping is quite easy. However I'm very impressed with the 22 Dasher specs, specially now Norma has come up with a better case which requires less work. I arrived on this site after Googling 22Dasher and look forward to seeing how it shoots.
224nut
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ash_hendo » 03 Aug 2021, 10:25 pm

I found this thread really interesting, I want a 22 Dasher now!

Anyone know if you can buy reamers in NSW or is this something you have to ask your gunsmith to do on your behalf?
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 04 Aug 2021, 8:34 am

PTG over in the states.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Aug 2021, 7:07 pm

Any decent gunsmith will be able to cut a chamber for you. He will already have a heap of reamers to makes the chamber to your specs.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ash_hendo » 10 Aug 2021, 9:07 pm

in2anity wrote:PTG over in the states.

So they're ok to import?
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 11 Aug 2021, 7:42 pm

As scj429 said, most decent gunsmiths will have a 22 Dasher reamer depending on exchange rates it will end up costing you $300+ just for the reamer, from memory postage was near on 100 bucks from PTG..... then you need to buy a lathe about 5k, plus tooling another 2k, then learning how to cut threads, and chamber it right

So unless you doing the smithing yourself you still need to GOTO a gun Smith to rechamber, so might as well use their reamer.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by ash_hendo » 23 Aug 2021, 1:39 pm

cz515 wrote:As scj429 said, most decent gunsmiths will have a 22 Dasher reamer depending on exchange rates it will end up costing you $300+ just for the reamer, from memory postage was near on 100 bucks from PTG..... then you need to buy a lathe about 5k, plus tooling another 2k, then learning how to cut threads, and chamber it right

So unless you doing the smithing yourself you still need to GOTO a gun Smith to rechamber, so might as well use their reamer.

Thanks, I was not planning on doing any smithing myself, just was thinking more of if I wanted to do a custom chamber one day that a gunsmith would not have, I could organize the reams directly with PTG and take to any gunsmith to do, I was sort of assuming a gunsmith would charge a premium to organize a custom reamer as it would take them many hours sorting it all out. Time is money after all.

Anyway, thanks for all your responses.
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 24 Aug 2021, 3:51 pm

Generally though if the Smith doesn't have a reamer, he may charge you a bit but still less then getting a reamer yourself. As they will probably think the can amortise the cost.

Sometimes it's about the cost of a new one anyway
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Gunsmithing