Folding stock - why?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Folding stock - why?

Post by juststarting » 04 Jan 2018, 11:23 pm

To avoid hijacking a related thread (https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9291), I thought I'd ask - why? Is there a practicl reason for a folding stock, other than Level 4 in badassery?

I am aware that on some platforms you need to disassemble the rear of the chassis (i.e. removed fixed butt) to remove the bolt. For example, to clean from the breach end. I know that a folding stock solves that. Other than that, assuming bolt can be removed regardless, is there a practical reason for it?

Now, don't get me wrong, those who know me, know that I advocate one or two of each caliber, models and configurations :) So by all means, it's a cool looking setup and I'd like one... However, I am interested about the practicality - why?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Folding stock - why?

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 04 Jan 2018, 11:44 pm

I got an original galil folding stock on my Vektor because how else am I meant to compensate for everything else if my guns aren’t super mega tacticool cool?

Check mate h8ters :thumbsup:
Last edited by Mr.Seacucumber on 04 Jan 2018, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 04 Jan 2018, 11:44 pm

so you can hide it under your coat ??? :unknown: :P :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2018, 11:51 pm

juststarting wrote:To avoid hijacking a related thread (https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9291), I thought I'd ask - why? Is there a practicl reason for a folding stock, other than Level 4 in badassery?

I am aware that on some platforms you need to disassemble the rear of the chassis (i.e. removed fixed butt) to remove the bolt. For example, to clean from the breach end. I know that a folding stock solves that. Other than that, assuming bolt can be removed regardless, is there a practical reason for it?

Now, don't get me wrong, those who know me, know that I advocate one or two of each caliber, models and configurations :) So by all means, it's a cool looking setup and I'd like one... However, I am interested about the practicality - why?

I've picked up two and the only practical purpose I can see is if you want to carry it inside a pack then it's handy being foldable, but bulkier.
I got the first one simply to find out for myself why they felt they needed to put it on the RPR instead of simply redesigning it for bolt removal. That was an MDT one and is not very impressive for what it costs IMO. Later on I saw a new company had released one for a third of the price of the MDT and it locks the stock closed (the MDT does not) so I bought a second one to try. I think it's better than the original MDT effort but I still can't find legitimate purpose for a folder, at least not a side folder. An under folder might be better as it does away with the extra bulk, but I'd probably have to build that myself.
The collapsible M4 stocks though are more useful I've found. Shortening the rifle by about 80mm doesn't sound like much but it does make it less bulky in the field.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 05 Jan 2018, 5:17 am

I'd imagine it came from some ww2 para troopers or something, easy to stash a rifle in a pack as you have to be well balanced on a jump and anything that causes drag like a rifle can f your day/night up

Also can see a place for it in vehicle operations, especially on carbine platforms like the m4's fold her up and sit it near your leg or something
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Archie » 05 Jan 2018, 10:23 am

I would have assumed that they detract from accuracy a bit also, given presumably even a really could one just isnt as stable as a fixed stock?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jan 2018, 12:05 pm

Archie wrote:I would have assumed that they detract from accuracy a bit also, given presumably even a really could one just isnt as stable as a fixed stock?

I would think that also.
Although both of mine are pretty secure when opened. You really can't tell they're folders unless you look closely.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 05 Jan 2018, 1:21 pm

Just more compact... Personally I find the idea pretty appealing.

I'm a bit over my 22lr Annie. I've been considering selling it and my 7mm Tikka sporter and replacing the pair with one of these in .308 as my do-it-all; get a bit more serious at the range and it's not completely impractical for hunting.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing