Looking for a barrel

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Looking for a barrel

Post by Tripod » 24 Jan 2018, 7:40 pm

I am looking for an extractor for a Martini cadet so that I can get a build started. I have the rest of the parts organised and the last piece I need is the extractor so if someone on here has one sitting in their parts box can you please drop me a pm :thumbsup:
Last edited by Tripod on 26 Jan 2018, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 269
Tasmania

Re: Cadet extractor

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 24 Jan 2018, 10:30 pm

What calibre ...????

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 213
New South Wales

Re: Cadet extractor

Post by Tripod » 25 Jan 2018, 7:50 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:What calibre ...????

Collector 1

Any calibre would do as my smith can modify it, The project will be a 30-357 which is the 357magnum case necked down to 30cal. Should get some 110gr carbine pills flying along.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 269
Tasmania

Re: Cadet extractor

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 25 Jan 2018, 8:07 am

Interesting calibre...Try a guy by the name of Graham Spraggon. I don't have a contact number but he is located at Tamworth, N.S.W. He often advertises on Used Guns. If he doesn't have one, he certainly would know where to go and who to speak to.

Good luck with the build.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 213
New South Wales

Re: Cadet extractor

Post by RoginaJack » 25 Jan 2018, 2:55 pm

Have you tried "Wattle Grove Park" Gun Shop in Qld?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1338
Queensland

Re: Cadet extractor

Post by Tripod » 26 Jan 2018, 8:10 am

Thanks to a helpful chap on another forum I have the extractor problem sorted. :clap:
Which only leaves me to find a 25 cal barrel and it all goes to my smith. So does anyone on here have a good takeoff 25 cal barrel they would be willing to part with for cash or trade?
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 269
Tasmania

Re: Looking for a barrel

Post by deanp100 » 26 Jan 2018, 4:31 pm

I will have a 22 mag barrel soon that is so worn it is probably close to 25 cal. Will that do??? :sarcasm:
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 262
Queensland

Re: Looking for a barrel

Post by Tripod » 26 Jan 2018, 5:18 pm

deanp100 wrote:I will have a 22 mag barrel soon that is so worn it is probably close to 25 cal. Will that do??? :sarcasm:

:lol: :lol:
Although I have often thought about setting up to rebore barrels as I think there is a market for it in Aus.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 269
Tasmania

Re: Cadet extractor

Post by Stoney » 26 Jan 2018, 10:49 pm

Tripod wrote:
COLLECTOR 1 wrote:What calibre ...????

Collector 1

Any calibre would do as my smith can modify it, The project will be a 30-357 which is the 357magnum case necked down to 30cal. Should get some 110gr carbine pills flying along.


Hey Tripod, why 30-357?
User avatar
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 339
Queensland

Re: Cadet extractor

Post by Tripod » 27 Jan 2018, 9:00 pm

Stoney wrote:
Tripod wrote:
COLLECTOR 1 wrote:What calibre ...????

Collector 1

Any calibre would do as my smith can modify it, The project will be a 30-357 which is the 357magnum case necked down to 30cal. Should get some 110gr carbine pills flying along.


Hey Tripod, why 30-357?

Just one of those "Why not" things. I have four spare Cadet actions so I will do four rifles based on the 357Mag case, A 22 Remington Jet Improved, 256 WinMag, 30-357 and a 357Mag. They will all get a different stock of a Tasmanian minor species. Huon pine, Tasmanian Blackwood, Myrtle and Blackheart Sassafras.
And my wife's 222 rimmed is due for a new tube so it might go to a 22 Hornet this time.
Oh and I found a 25 cal barrel so I know have all the parts I require.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 269
Tasmania

Re: Cadet extractor

Post by Stoney » 28 Jan 2018, 9:12 am

Tripod wrote:
Stoney wrote:
Tripod wrote:
COLLECTOR 1 wrote:What calibre ...????

Collector 1

Any calibre would do as my smith can modify it, The project will be a 30-357 which is the 357magnum case necked down to 30cal. Should get some 110gr carbine pills flying along.


Hey Tripod, why 30-357?

Just one of those "Why not" things. I have four spare Cadet actions so I will do four rifles based on the 357Mag case, A 22 Remington Jet Improved, 256 WinMag, 30-357 and a 357Mag. They will all get a different stock of a Tasmanian minor species. Huon pine, Tasmanian Blackwood, Myrtle and Blackheart Sassafras.
And my wife's 222 rimmed is due for a new tube so it might go to a 22 Hornet this time.
Oh and I found a 25 cal barrel so I know have all the parts I require.


That's a great idea mate.
User avatar
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 339
Queensland

Re: Looking for a barrel

Post by in2anity » 28 Jan 2018, 10:07 am

I've always wanted to do a 357 target rifle build myself; the main reason being there is always boxes and boxes of cheap 357 lead at pretty much any LGS you'll ever go to - and a lot of the time it's just old surplus stock, so you often can get crazy cheap prices on the stuff if you just ask. And straight walled brass can last a long time if you look after it and keep your pressures down; another cost saving there. And also (not that I've ever done it), but I've heard you can use a carbide die without lube to resize 357 brass; basically cuts out the brass cleaning step, so another big plus for it from a reloading perspective.

For said reasons, I nearly bought a 357 MAX built on a martini action the other day; price was just a little too high unfortunately; and ballistics aren't great past a couple of hundred, I planned on maybe using it for metallic silhouette, but I think it would ring the rams. Still, it would be the perfect plinker and with the right barrel possibly very accurate!

Your ideas sound awesome mate, make sure you keep us posted with pics and progress! Love me a nice bit of timber :thumbsup:
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
User avatar
in2anity
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1704
New South Wales

Re: Looking for a barrel

Post by Stoney » 28 Jan 2018, 5:17 pm

in2anity wrote:I've always wanted to do a 357 target rifle build myself; the main reason being there is always boxes and boxes of cheap 357 lead at pretty much any LGS you'll ever go to - and a lot of the time it's just old surplus stock, so you often can get crazy cheap prices on the stuff if you just ask. And straight walled brass can last a long time if you look after it and keep your pressures down; another cost saving there. And also (not that I've ever done it), but I've heard you can use a carbide die without lube to resize 357 brass; basically cuts out the brass cleaning step, so another big plus for it from a reloading perspective.

For said reasons, I nearly bought a 357 MAX built on a martini action the other day; price was just a little too high unfortunately; and ballistics aren't great past a couple of hundred, I planned on maybe using it for metallic silhouette, but I think it would ring the rams. Still, it would be the perfect plinker and with the right barrel possibly very accurate!

Your ideas sound awesome mate, make sure you keep us posted with pics and progress! Love me a nice bit of timber :thumbsup:


I thought the 357 max was too long to " get around the bend ". Does anyone know the maximum cartridge length that can used in a cadet action?
User avatar
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 339
Queensland

Re: Looking for a barrel

Post by in2anity » 28 Jan 2018, 6:59 pm

Stoney wrote:I thought the 357 max was too long to " get around the bend ". Does anyone know the maximum cartridge length that can used in a cadet action?


Good point - just doing some reading, apparently the ogive of a SP projectile allows just enough clearance for a max round to get past the curve. Unfortunately the same doesn’t apply for a blunt pistol bullet though, but I suppose you could just plink 357 mag, then switch back to SP jacketed when you needed to reach/punch that little harder... or then again, just KISS and stick to native .357 mag! ;)
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
User avatar
in2anity
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1704
New South Wales

Re: cadet lever

Post by Bullbarrel033 » 22 Mar 2020, 10:14 am

Anyone have a standard unmodified .310 cadet lever spare?? I'm chasing one to convert my RF striker to CF striker.
Cheers
Bullbarrel033
Private
Private
 
Posts: 96
Victoria

Re: Looking for a barrel

Post by Bullbarrel033 » 22 Mar 2020, 1:16 pm

I have a Sportco .22magnum barrel if anyone is interested?
Bullbarrel033
Private
Private
 
Posts: 96
Victoria


Back to top
 
Return to Gunsmithing