Convert 30-06 to 300 win mag

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Convert 30-06 to 300 win mag

Post by rooboy82 » 28 Jan 2018, 6:23 pm

Hi,

I will admit to being a novice to this stuff and this might be a stupid question but i figure its worth asking for advice from people who know more than me.
I was thinking about selling my Tikka 30-06 and buying a Tikka 300wm but then I thought I might be able to build a 300wm off my existing Tikka action.

My question is how possible/hard/expensive would it be to just have the 30-06 converted to a 300 win mag?

My thinking is that I could use the 30-06 action, buy a quality barrel chambered in 300wm, and have them bedded and floated in an aftermarket stock and then i would kinda have a semi-custom rifle for not much more than the price of a new Tikka 300wm.

I am under the impression that the actions for the two calibers are the same, however please correct me if i'm mistaken. Am I missing something or oversimplifying the amount of work that would need to be done?

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks
rooboy82
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Convert 30-06 to 300 win mag

Post by Rikta » 29 Jan 2018, 2:06 am

dont bother, the cost of the smithing and then subsequent licensing changes etc... be cheaper to just buy a new 300win rifle. The two cases are different width, ones belted and one isn't, its not a rare wildcat or something its something that is readily available at any gun store, so just go a new rifle... save a hell of a lot of hassle and money. might even be able to keep your 30-06 if you do your application properly and still be ahead.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tripod » 29 Jan 2018, 7:03 am

No need for a new barrel a Gunsmith can run a reamer in and cut the chamber to 300WM and open the boltface, Then you would just have to sort out the magazine which will depend which model Tikka you have. Contact a good Smith and get a price.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by slickncghia » 29 Jan 2018, 7:29 am

wouldn't the Win mag be a different action length and strength?

As much as I like changing and the idea of smithing. I would be on team: remove scope, sell it, buy another in the calibre you want.
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 29 Jan 2018, 7:56 am

slickncghia wrote:wouldn't the Win mag be a different action length and strength?

As much as I like changing and the idea of smithing. I would be on team: remove scope, sell it, buy another in the calibre you want.

Reasonably sure that the Tikkas are all one action now, Even the new .22 rimfire interchanges with the centrefire stocks.
All this will depend on which model rifle he has.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Tripod » 29 Jan 2018, 7:59 am

I will say while it is possible to change it or sell it, Personally I would keep it AND buy another in 300WM :thumbsup:
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by wrenchman » 29 Jan 2018, 9:18 am

you will miss your 3006 when its gone if you dont reload there are more factory loads for the 06 then any other
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Jan 2018, 9:50 am

My question is why? Is the barrel stuffed?
Yes you could re-chamber / re-barrel, but then you'll need bolt-face modification, ( if the extractor allows for it ). Magazine would also have to be altered as the .300 WM is a larger diameter and belted.
The following is if you reload;
If you are chasing an increase in velocity and the barrel is okay, why not just get it re-chambered in .30-06 Ackley Improved? You'll get the velocity increase, ( if that is what you are after ), without the need to gear up and modify the rifle for a totally different case. Ackley chambers will take standard ammo, fire it and you now have your improved case. It is a one step process. ( There are a few minor things that can improve this process but, Ackley designed his chambers so that you can just fire a straight up factory load safely in the chamber.)
The only thing you'll need to buy will be a .30 caliber neck die, assuming you already reload your .30-06.
I've shot Ackley chambers in both hunting and competition, case life is drastically improved and I've got cases that have been reloaded more than 30 times having only been necked sized since fire-forming, that's it.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 29 Jan 2018, 12:12 pm

Rikta wrote:dont bother, the cost of the smithing and then subsequent licensing changes etc... be cheaper to just buy a new 300win rifle. The two cases are different width, ones belted and one isn't, its not a rare wildcat or something its something that is readily available at any gun store, so just go a new rifle... save a hell of a lot of hassle and money. might even be able to keep your 30-06 if you do your application properly and still be ahead.

hes in Victoria not WA
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jan 2018, 12:19 pm

Gamerancher wrote:My question is why? Is the barrel stuffed?
Yes you could re-chamber / re-barrel, but then you'll need bolt-face modification, ( if the extractor allows for it ). Magazine would also have to be altered as the .300 WM is a larger diameter and belted.
The following is if you reload;
If you are chasing an increase in velocity and the barrel is okay, why not just get it re-chambered in .30-06 Ackley Improved? You'll get the velocity increase, ( if that is what you are after ), without the need to gear up and modify the rifle for a totally different case. Ackley chambers will take standard ammo, fire it and you now have your improved case. It is a one step process. ( There are a few minor things that can improve this process but, Ackley designed his chambers so that you can just fire a straight up factory load safely in the chamber.)
The only thing you'll need to buy will be a .30 caliber neck die, assuming you already reload your .30-06.
I've shot Ackley chambers in both hunting and competition, case life is drastically improved and I've got cases that have been reloaded more than 30 times having only been necked sized since fire-forming, that's it.

I'm no fan of the .30-06 but I'd do the AI reamer rather than .300WinMag if you already have the .30-06 with a good bore.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by slickncghia » 29 Jan 2018, 12:47 pm

308 180gn 2650ft/sec
30-06 180gn 2800ft/sec
30-06 AI 180gn 2900ft/sec
300 wm 180gn 3000ft/sec

All give or take.
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by marksman » 29 Jan 2018, 3:02 pm

the big idea of the 300wm is that it can fit magnum case in a long action but you cannot seat the projectiles out far enough in a long action :thumbsdown:
if you want a 300wm get one in mag action not a long action or get a 300wsm in the tikka, they work well :thumbsup:
but buy a new tikka that is the calibre you want and keep the 30-06 :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jan 2018, 5:02 pm

I've never seen the point of rebuilding rifles. Unless the end result will be very special.

There are heaps of calibres to choose from in new rifles. If you can't find one to satisfy your need then you are very fussy indeed. And it's cheaper, and you get a warranty.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 30 Jan 2018, 9:22 am

G'Day Fella's,

RooBoy82, unless your present .30-06 has a 24"/610mm barrel, there is not point in a rechambering job.
As mentioned by others, you would be better off trading the 06 in on a .300 Win Mag.
FYI, if you are Recoil Shy, don't get any .300 Magnum!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by straightshooter » 31 Jan 2018, 8:01 am

Rooboy82
Just how much practical real world gain do you think you will see from a 300 Win Mag compared to a 30-06?
I would say in a practical sense not enough to bother with any change.
Nonetheless if you have decided that your shooting life will be incomplete without a 300 Win Mag then the cheapest way and more importantly the way with the least likelihood of any ongoing problems is to trade up to the factory rifle of your choice in that caliber.

Gamerancher
What you say about velocity increase and case life are are both true in an AI case but not both at the same time.
One extends case life by operating at sane or even reduced pressures, that is, pressures that never reach or exceed the yield point of your brass.
The legends about the massive velocity increase in AI cases are not supported when strict laboratory testing is involved and pressures are held to the same standard. That's because the increase in powder capacity is only slight.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 31 Jan 2018, 9:05 am

Who said anything about massive velocity increases? :unknown:
The increases are different in every case, some are more efficient than others, the .250-3000 Savage and .257 Roberts being a couple of the better ones.
( I have both standard and A.I versions of .257 Rob.)
Case life is extended mainly due to the mechanical properties of the "improved" case.
I've personally experienced this, not just read about it. I have cases that were used in a hunting rifle in a standard .257 Roberts chamber. These were run at near maximum loadings ( 100gr @ 3300f/s ) and reloaded numerous ( +10 ) times. They were then necked up to 6.5mm and fired in a new barrel chambered for 6.5/.257 A.I. that I used for silhouette. ( also at near max loads, 155gr @ 3000f/s. ) They went on to be fired over 30 times and I still have them. Tell me again how the case life is only due to reduced pressures.
The mechanical improvement actually allows the case to withstand higher pressures which is why there are a bunch of "modern" catridges that use Ackley's formula of minimum body taper and sharp shoulders. Think SAUM, RUM's, WSM's, PPC's, Creedmoors, etc.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2018, 5:41 pm

SO, In round figures the 300 wm pushes the 180gr 250fps faster than a 30-06
and the 220gr 300 fps faster than a 30-06

I would question the advantages, not a lot more.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 05 Feb 2018, 6:07 am

That 250fps brings around an extra 33% ft-lbf of kinetic energy, pretty significant increase, and handy depending on your needs.
Bigjobss

Post by slickncghia » 05 Feb 2018, 8:44 am

I'd question whether with a 22" barrel the difference really is 250ft/sec

I'm comfortably 2800ft/sec with 180s from my 22" 3006.

The 300 wm is really gonna want a 24+ to get max performance. With some googlefu at 22" 300wm is 100ft/sec slower than a 24+

I think you will find a 180 from a 22" 300 win mag is around 2900ft/sec.

Now for 210gr vlds. A bit different.

But for 180s definitely wouldn't bother
slickncghia
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Feb 2018, 3:22 pm

"I think you will find a 180 from a 22" 300 win mag is around 2900ft/sec"

Makes sense.
BTW what's the intended game at what distances?

I can just see it now. Pigs with a speed radar, checking the projectile speed just before it hits. Nope not gonna die that's 100fps too slow. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Feb 2018, 3:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I can just see it now. Pigs with a speed radar, checking the projectile speed just before it hits. Nope not gonna die that's 100fps too slow. :lol:

This just put a really funny picture in my head!!!! :twisted: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rikta » 05 Feb 2018, 5:22 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"I think you will find a 180 from a 22" 300 win mag is around 2900ft/sec"

Makes sense.
BTW what's the intended game at what distances?

I can just see it now. Pigs with a speed radar, checking the projectile speed just before it hits. Nope not gonna die that's 100fps too slow. :lol:

funny as it may be, the point originally made still stands, there is no gain over the 30-06 at that range/barrel length in that weight or higher projectile.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Feb 2018, 8:28 pm

We are wasting our time. Rooboy82 hasn't been back and that was his first post.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 05 Feb 2018, 9:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:We are wasting our time. Rooboy82 hasn't been back and that was his first post.

yeah was almost thinking it was a bit of a troll post
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 05 Feb 2018, 9:14 pm

I learn a lot from these topics.Now I am looking up all the load data
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Feb 2018, 7:16 am

While it is fine to post questions around these topics, you will usually get biased answers, ( for and against ) and also ones from people with no experience with the cartridge in question.
Best to do some research on the ballistics yourself, ( as you have done for the .338 Fed. ) see if it fits your purpose, dreams, then maybe some real world experience from other users of said cartridge can be sought to help with your decision.

Yes, I think we scared OP away. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing