removing all the creep from a Howa HACT trigger

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

removing all the creep from a Howa HACT trigger

Post by Rikta » 06 Feb 2018, 10:24 pm

As the title says, I am curious if anyone has been able to take out the first "stage" on the trigger to eliminate or at least mostly eliminate the creep on the trigger, to me its not smooth at all and the sheer amount of creep is just stupid, can almost recite the alphabet in the time it takes to take up the slack.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: removing all the creep from a Howa HACT trigger

Post by sungazer » 07 Feb 2018, 7:38 am

I have but its not what I was after. I bought a spring kit I will find a link and post it for you. I went through a few different combinations of the springs as I like the two stage and with both the springs the first stage was too easy and with adjustment it tuned into a single stage and at one point it was also dangerous with it going off on a hard bolt close ect. Anyway I found the spring combination that gave me the longest first stage pull to a point then it would break crisp and sharp. I used one original and one new spring in the end.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Rikta » 07 Feb 2018, 10:13 am

sungazer wrote:I have but its not what I was after. I bought a spring kit I will find a link and post it for you. I went through a few different combinations of the springs as I like the two stage and with both the springs the first stage was too easy and with adjustment it tuned into a single stage and at one point it was also dangerous with it going off on a hard bolt close ect. Anyway I found the spring combination that gave me the longest first stage pull to a point then it would break crisp and sharp. I used one original and one new spring in the end.

sheesh couldn't think of anything worse than purposely putting creep on a trigger, can not in any way see the appeal of having all that extra travel and therefore torsional movement to account for, even my archery releases are as sensitive and haired off as they can be.

but yes please do find me the link, would be greatly appreciated... cant stand how long of a pull it has before you get to the sear. and have been putting off buying a $200+ timney for it.
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 07 Feb 2018, 11:10 am

Rikta wrote:
sungazer wrote:I have but its not what I was after. I bought a spring kit I will find a link and post it for you. I went through a few different combinations of the springs as I like the two stage and with both the springs the first stage was too easy and with adjustment it tuned into a single stage and at one point it was also dangerous with it going off on a hard bolt close ect. Anyway I found the spring combination that gave me the longest first stage pull to a point then it would break crisp and sharp. I used one original and one new spring in the end.

sheesh couldn't think of anything worse than purposely putting creep on a trigger, can not in any way see the appeal of having all that extra travel and therefore torsional movement to account for, even my archery releases are as sensitive and haired off as they can be.

but yes please do find me the link, would be greatly appreciated... cant stand how long of a pull it has before you get to the sear. and have been putting off buying a $200+ timney for it.

Send it to Glen Couglan (ebay trigger dude). $60 and guaranteed work.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by marksman » 07 Feb 2018, 11:52 am

buy a better trigger with creep adjustment :thumbsup:
the older howa triggers are a much better fully adjustable trigger :thumbsup:

or you can cut the hact spring a little at a time to adjust, utube is your friend
give it a go and if it dont work out buy a better trigger :drinks:

I think they hact these triggers :thumbsdown: I dont like them
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Rikta » 07 Feb 2018, 1:19 pm

marksman wrote:buy a better trigger with creep adjustment :thumbsup:
the older howa triggers are a much better fully adjustable trigger :thumbsup:

or you can cut the hact spring a little at a time to adjust, utube is your friend
give it a go and if it dont work out buy a better trigger :drinks:

I think they hact these triggers :thumbsdown: I dont like them

yeah all the YouTube fixes lighten the trigger but all the creep is still there, useless... from what i saw of glens stuff also he doesn't take out the first stage, the creep is what really bothers me, couldn't care if the trigger was 1lb or 3lb but that creep is inherent in the design i think... well from my efforts following the YouTube tutorials it is anyway...

and yeah the old howa triggers were/are amazing, almost as good as an expensive match grade set trigger if you tune them up... the old boy has a cmc mountaineer and its absolutely lovely
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2018, 1:51 pm

Just send it to Glen Coughlan mate, the HACT triggers come out great when he tunes em and he will remove the 2 stage setup and make it a single stage if you want and they are every bit as good as the CMC Version (got both and can't see SFA diff in em once Glen did his magic too em both.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 07 Feb 2018, 1:57 pm

The cutting the spring down dosent lighten the trigger as so man claim it does. The spring has the same tension no matter what it will shorten it somewhat but that spring is the second break point not the distance or pressure of the first stage.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 07 Feb 2018, 3:07 pm

Cutting springs is dodgy.

Glen will set the trigger to your specs. In my case 2lb break no creep at all.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Rikta » 07 Feb 2018, 3:11 pm

Gwion wrote:Cutting springs is dodgy.

Glen will set the trigger to your specs. In my case 2lb break no creep at all.

will he go to 12oz? lol
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 07 Feb 2018, 3:20 pm

He'll go to 8oz as far as i know.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Rikta » 07 Feb 2018, 6:24 pm

Gwion wrote:He'll go to 8oz as far as i know.....

sweet anyone got contact info for him aside from fb? i dont do fb
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm

Rikta wrote:
Gwion wrote:He'll go to 8oz as far as i know.....

sweet anyone got contact info for him aside from fb? i dont do fb

I don't know if it's still valid but try gcoughlan@hotmail.com

this is one of the phone No's I have for him, again not sure if it's still active - 0420406165
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Gunsmithing