Windex + vinegar for cleaning power?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Windex + vinegar for cleaning power?

Post by sneaker » 14 Feb 2018, 1:59 pm

Apparently this works pretty good for cleaning power residue?

Cheap option if it works.

Anyone do it?

Edit- Just powder, not copper fouling.
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Windex + vinegar for cleaning power?

Post by sungazer » 14 Feb 2018, 5:10 pm

yep I often use windex first. The patches come out really black and nasty for about 5-6 patches then O move up to either Hoppes or Carby cleaner or Sweets or a Hoppes foaming all depending on how many rounds since the last good cleaning. You may as well use something cheap to get the easy stuff out first before spending money on the more exotics.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Feb 2018, 9:31 am

I read an article on the Primal Rights site about using CLR, has anyone tried that?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 15 Feb 2018, 10:30 am

if its CLP, cleans lubricates and protects type of cleaner solvent you mean, I tried gunzilla that seemed to work but after a while gummed up my firearm to the point where it would not cycle the bolt smoothly because of the residue left behind, a real hassle to get off as well
when I went back to normal cleaning my rifle was full of copper and crap, I would not recommend this stuff to anyone :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 15 Feb 2018, 1:00 pm

Is this for smokeless powder too?

I've read this in a few places before but it was only mentioned for black powder.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 15 Feb 2018, 1:42 pm

sneaker wrote:Apparently this works pretty good for cleaning power residue?

Cheap option if it works.

Anyone do it?

Edit- Just powder, not copper fouling.

What are we cleaning powder residue off...??

Personally, I would not use either. My firearms are too expensive.

Windex is for cleaning glass and if it's not wiped off straight away it leaves a residue, I think it contains Metho and Metho leaves a dry powdery residue. Vinegar is an Acid and I'm certainly not putting that near my gear. Same reason I will not use Sweets, there are better and safer products.

There are many products designed for the purpose and they are not expensive, especially the tiny amounts used.

For cleaning the powder residue of Brass Cases, I use Ballistol. A little bit on a soft rag and any powder residue wipes off completely. If down a bore then the same and it's a lube as well. For a bore I use Bore Tech Eliminator, a few drops of a patch, the first patch is black then the second is a dark grey and gone on the next then it starts working on the copper. It's also a lube so can be left in a bore to soak.

Why waste your time with home remedies that could possibly cause damage.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Feb 2018, 2:36 pm

@marksman
Not CLP, CLR. Seemed strange to me but the author, Greg Dykstra, is a professional shooter and shooting instructor who uses custom built guns worth more than my car, so I can't imagine he's just speculating.
I just wondered if anyone else had heard this somewhat off-the-wall suggestion.
http://www.clrclean.com.au
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Tripod » 15 Feb 2018, 3:20 pm

Since CLR is for cleaning off Calcium, Lime and Rust and Bluing is Rust does anyone want to try it on there blued rifle? Be fine on S/steel or if you were absolutely sure it was only going to touch the inside of the bore.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 15 Feb 2018, 4:56 pm

As I said I use the windex, used it today there was nothing really left for the Hoppes to clean out even after a brush it works well. I dont think here is a need for the Vinegar save that for the potion when you clean your brass.
No matter how expensive the gun the barrels are consumables if you are going to shoot them and use them as a tool. A $1000 pretty much gets you a top of the line barrel fitted.
As for the beautiful wood and I will take wood over synthetic any day, it is weather proof most factory rifles have been two pack clear coated. Even the oil finished stocks are waterproof. One of mine is very soft wood oil finished and I use it a lot it is getting the odd scratch and dent It makes my skin twitch but I have to shrug it off and say it was meant to be used not to be on display in the locked safe. I gave it a bit of a sand back this year just to take out a scratch or two and re oil. I can see after a few years if I want to have it looking shiny and new I will have to replace it as well. It like the tradesman that only has had the one hammer for thirty years. Its had 30 new heads and 40 new handles.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Homer » 18 Feb 2018, 4:14 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Can I please suggest, that you do Not use ANY product that is not specifically designed for use in a firearm, in your firearms.

I have seen more firearms Ruined by self appointed experts, etc, that I have by use alone.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Homer » 18 Feb 2018, 4:14 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Can I please suggest, that you do Not use ANY product that is not specifically designed for use in a firearm, in your firearms.

I have seen more firearms Ruined by self appointed experts, etc, that I have by use alone.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Feb 2018, 4:31 pm

Thanks for emphasising that Homer. :thumbsup:
You do have a point thought. I'm going to try the Windex, seems the sds says it's just water and alcohol.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 18 Feb 2018, 4:57 pm

FYI the Hoppes no 9 foaming bore cleaner contains CAS #112-34-5 Butyl Carrbitol Look this one up otherwise known as Ethanol as in what makes you drunk or a cloase relative Methanol the other ingediant is CAS #111-76-2 Butyl Cellosolve or other wise known as 2-Butoxyethanol it has one less O again basically Ethanol they don't need to list water the gas is LPG 68476-86-8. Buy the products and have a look at what is inside them. You don't need to be any self proclaimed expert to do this it is just finding out for yourself what is in the product by a little bit of research.
I use the foaming cleaner as it has the properties to be able to soak all the barrel a little bit rather than the solvent sitting in the bottom of the barrel.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by sungazer » 04 Mar 2018, 10:49 am

As another source on the use of windex this article is interesting.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... sive-ammo/
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Mar 2018, 11:51 am

Thanks for that link Sungazer.
I think this is probably a silly question, but as a newbie reloader, I feel the need.
Hand loads with good brand primers such as CCI should not have this problem?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 04 Mar 2018, 12:20 pm

No the new primers are not corrosive and will not have this problem. I still use the windex as a first pass as it does get out the carbon just as it did in the article for the burnt powder. its cheap it works. I follow up with carby cleaner to remove windex, then I go onto either sweets, or Hoppes Benchrest copper remover, then carby cleaner and a final normal Hoppes for storage. Then before firing I use the carby cleaner to remove all oils. I also use Nylon and brass brushes as required and at 250 round intervals may use a JB paste. keeping on top of any fowling and having the barrel in the same condition every time it is used gives the best results for me. I always use a good fitting bore guide. Clean chamber as well every time and remove any oils that are in there from cleaning.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Mar 2018, 12:28 pm

Thanks for that. So carby as in carburettor?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 04 Mar 2018, 12:37 pm

:thumbsup: Yep I use the Nulon Throttle Body & Carby Cleaner
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Mar 2018, 12:05 pm

Windex that has vinegar in it, ( it'll be written on the bottle ), has been a popular black-powder solvent for years in the U.S.
I've not seen it here in Oz, then again, I've not gone looking. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 05 Mar 2018, 1:40 pm

I have never used any Vinegar in the solution. I think that is just the title of the thread and Vinegar should be considered on its own. I do put Vinegar into the mix when wet tumbling my brass. A squirt of dishwashing liquid, 1/4 cup Vinegar and either a squeeze of lemon or some Citric acid. that is for the 5kg one which can do 100 223 cases or 50 308 cases comfortably.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Mar 2018, 4:17 pm

Yeah, I get that, just saying what they use. The Windex with vinegar is how it comes. I've tried normal windex in my BPCR's and didn't like it, it seemed to promote rust.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

Gamerancher wrote: I've tried normal windex in my BPCR's and didn't like it, it seemed to promote rust.

What do u base that on? Just a feeling or did you run some sort of test?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Mar 2018, 4:49 pm

I cleaned the barrel with it,put it up for a while, ( couple of hours ) and when I ran a patch through it that came out rusty. Also, when I disassembled the action there was rusting in the nooks and crannies that hadn't been there before.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Mar 2018, 6:01 pm

Windex seems to be mainly water and methanol, could it be that the water. Is reacting with sulphur to create sulphuric acid?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Mar 2018, 7:13 am

Water is actually one the best things to clean blackpowder residue with, it is water soluble. The downside is that it also promotes rust. Hence a lot of folks use a water / soluble oil mix to patch out with. The soluble oil protects from rusting while the water does the cleaning. The mix is similar to the cutting fluid you would use on a lathe or mill.
To get back to the point, if you are using Windex, be sure to dry up afterwards and use an oil / protectant to finish.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 25 Mar 2018, 4:45 pm

I used to be able to get Windex with vinegar in the local stores but it does not seem to be available any more. Just Windex.
I just use soluble oil with water now in my BP rifles.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing