Lapping your Bolt??

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Lapping your Bolt??

Post by SCJ429 » 11 May 2018, 10:35 pm

Very nice Brett, one day I too will own one. What are you building with this one?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 12 May 2018, 9:36 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Very nice Brett, one day I too will own one. What are you building with this one?

Already built and taking trophy's :)
IMG_3490.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG (233.86 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 13 May 2018, 8:47 am

Is the break removable Brett?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by brett1868 » 13 May 2018, 12:12 pm

sungazer wrote:Is the break removable Brett?

The brake is screwed on and can be removed though I've no reason to do so. It's big enough that I can clean the insides without any grief :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 13 May 2018, 6:45 pm

I have a brake on my 378 WM and a lot of carbon builds up between the crown and the brake. I have to take it off after every shoot to soak the carbon. Beautiful looking rifle and I love your front rest, Seb Neo?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 13 May 2018, 7:38 pm

i was more interested in how it shoots with it on and off. I know Brett uses it for target comps. The crown of a muzzle is one of the most important parts and can have a huge impact on grouping. It is what forms the pressure wave around and behind the projectile and just any small damage can cause big problems. So thats the real question do you notice any difference in accuracy with it on and off? It is a test that has to be done under ideal conditions and at 150-200yrds to give the projectile time to stabilize but not too much to be influenced by environmental. Yes it is a gun like no others in Aus.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 13 May 2018, 10:05 pm

I just use valve grinding paste to smooth up any of my actions, needed it for that atrocity that is a Ruger action (worst action I've ever had to deal with) now it's nice and smooth after the grinding paste treatment.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Gunsmithing