Best way to clean a black powder rifle? (Muzzle end)

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Best way to clean a black powder rifle? (Muzzle end)

Post by juststarting » 04 Mar 2018, 3:39 pm

Wondering, what's the best way to clean a black powder rifle, when I only have access from muzzle end.

Specifically, my Martini Henry, last time I've completely stripped it, so cleaning from muzzle end was fine, because the breach end was fully stripped and I didn't care if dirt gets in to it. However, now that the rifle is assembled, I'm wondering about the best way to get this done.

Suggestions?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Best way to clean a black powder rifle? (Muzzle end)

Post by TheDude » 04 Mar 2018, 4:55 pm

Brush it out first with a brass brush to break up the crap, then using a funnel pour boiling water down the barrel from the chamber end. Should only need a couple of patches then to get it clean.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Mar 2018, 5:27 pm

Edit; I thought you were talking about muzzle loaders ...
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 05 Mar 2018, 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Mar 2018, 5:55 pm

juststarting wrote:Wondering, what's the best way to clean a black powder rifle, when I only have access from muzzle end.

Specifically, my Martini Henry, last time I've completely stripped it, so cleaning from muzzle end was fine, because the breach end was fully stripped and I didn't care if dirt gets in to it. However, now that the rifle is assembled, I'm wondering about the best way to get this done.

Suggestions?

I strip the barrel out of the stock so I can be sure to clean all BP residue out of it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Mar 2018, 6:51 pm

G'day juststarting,
These rifles survived decades of warfare in every climate around the world by being swabbed out with a patch of cold water, then oiled, nothing else. The usual method is to clean upside down with the stock elevated above the muzzle with a block or stand, the bore swabbed out with a wet patch or 3, then dry patches, then oiled. That cleaning fluid of on_one_wheels is most likely just an emulsion of Neatsfoot oil, which was all the old Parker Hale Black Powder cleaning and oiling fluids were, and is entirely un-necessary, for a great clean, soapy water with dishwashing liquid, wet a patch & swab. Swab with clean warm water, driy with clean patch, oil with your favourite gun oil. (any ATF for me, mixed 6 to 4 with kerosene), Cheer.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 04 Mar 2018, 7:09 pm

When I'm cleaning BP rifles from the muzzle end, eg lever guns, I tip them on their back so crud and patches falls out the ejector port rather into the action.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Mar 2018, 11:47 am

If you have a pretty good bore, it should clean well with just a few patches. There is no need to fill it with hot water. While this does remove the fouling, it also gets everything wet, so unless you want to promote rust in the nooks and cranny's I'd avoid it. Cartridge rifles don't have the action contamination you get with percussion or muzzle loaders.
Use a good one piece rod with a muzzle protector. Invert the rifle like Noisey says, patch with damp patches using anything from straight water, moosemilk ( water and soluble oil ), various commercial black-powder solvents, Windex.... the list goes on. Hoppes No.9 works well as a solvent, has excellent protective properties and can be left wet in the barrel. Harry Pope, ( look him up) was a firm believer in No.9.
Standard wet patch, dry patch technique is all that is required. Light oil when clean.
If your accuracy goes off after shooting a bunch of rounds it is a sign off fouling problems. Give it a quick clean and it should come good again.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Black powder shooting