Removing trigger creep on Anschutz 1416 (manual isn't right)

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Removing trigger creep on Anschutz 1416 (manual isn't right)

Post by stephencee » 01 Jan 2014, 9:35 am

Hi all,

I've posted this on other forums and got some info, posting again to hopefully hear from someone who's actually got the same rifle and has done this.

I'm looking for some help on removing the trigger creep on a new anschutz 1416D. There is quite a lot before it fires.

I have the manual for the '1400 series' which came with the rifle and it says this

2.2 Adjusting the optimum sear engagement on a single stage trigger by means of the sear engagement adjusting screw [2]:
> Cock the trigger
> Turn sear engagement adjusting screw [2] (second stage) clockwise until the trigger releases.
> From this setting, turn sear engagement adjusting screw [2] approx. 1/3 turn anti-clockwise.

The problem is the trigger pictured in the manual is not the one in the rifle. Picture attached below.

1416t.jpg
anschutz triggers
1416t.jpg (15.43 KiB) Viewed 13677 times

Like you can see, the housing is a little different and instead of a flat head screw in place [2] like the manual says there is a small Allan key instead.

Can anyone familiar with Anschutz confirm for me that this allan key should be the same? Or if it's different.

I don't want to just start screwing in or out without knowing, or just "give it a go" and stuff something up.

Thanks guys.
Anschütz 1416 D HB
stephencee
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Removing trigger creep on Anschutz 1416 (manual isn't ri

Post by stephencee » 01 Jan 2014, 9:36 am

I forgot. If someone can tell me if it's ok to dry fire the 1416D I'd like to know this too.

Thanks.
Anschütz 1416 D HB
stephencee
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Chickenhawk » 01 Jan 2014, 9:46 am

Lorgar just got the 1416. You could PM him.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 01 Jan 2014, 11:20 am

G'day,

Yep, I recently got the 1416D HB. Same action is the regular 1416 but just heavy barrel and beavertail stock.

Same trigger as your bottom picture as far as I can see.

Mine had quite a bit of creep too and I had the same "1400 series" manual which wasn't much help.

The trigger creep was taken out by turning the Alan Key socket on the trigger where the flat head screw is pictured though.

As I wasn't 100% sure when I started, I just turned the Alan Key a 1/4 clockwise then fired into a spent brass casing to feel if the creep was reducing. It took about a full turn to take it to where I was comfortable with it.

Should be the same for yours' just go carefully obviously.

After you've done your adjustments be sure to test the trigger thoroughly and work the bolt open and close, back and forth aggressively to make sure it won't accidentally discharge if knocked or if the bolt is closed quickly.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 01 Jan 2014, 11:21 am

And Anschutz have this on their website about dry-firing their rifles.

Question: Is it possible to dryfire rim fire rifles?

Answer: If you dryfire rimfire rifles it is always advisable to put an empty shell into the chamber.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Hinky » 02 Jan 2014, 12:38 pm

That's disappointing that it's so bad for both your rifles straight out of the box?

An Anschutz isn't exactly cheap, you'd think they'd do better for the money you pay.
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Grrzrr » 02 Jan 2014, 1:21 pm

Hinky wrote:That's disappointing that it's so bad for both your rifles straight out of the box?

As they're adjustable, I suppose there is less incentive for them to fine tune them at the factory before shipping.

Save themselves the labour cost when shooters are just doing to do it themselves anyway.
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by nords » 02 Jan 2014, 5:03 pm

I read somewhere on their site that the factory trigger is set to the "safest" setting when they leave the factory.

Apparently that means heaps of creep and a heavy-ass trigger.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by maxi » 03 Jan 2014, 9:23 am

They probably have some liability if a trigger is set too close or too light at the factory?

If there was an accidental discharged and you could prove it was due to the factory trigger settings?

One in a billion kind of situation, but no chances taken I guess.
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by VICHunter » 03 Jan 2014, 9:42 am

I'm leaning towards the saving man hours/cost option :lol:

Anyway, at least you can adjust it so it's not a big deal.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 03 Jan 2014, 10:01 am

With a bit of adjustment I'm sure they're great.

Ask anyone with some experience what a some good 22 rifles and Anschutz is always on the list.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 438 » 10 Jan 2016, 9:55 pm

My rifle is an Anschutz 1403. It has a 2 stage trigger. There are 3 screws on mine. I have adjusted 2 of them.The screw on the side adjusts the creep. In my case the travel to the second stage. The screw reached from the bottom adjusts the weight of the trigger pull. The 1400 series are sporting class rifles, They don't adjust down much below 1 lb. At least mine doesn't.
I am told that the match class, say 1700 series rifle triggers will fit the 1400 action. The trigger pull on these is set in ounces or even grams. The 4 I have fired discharge just as soon as you touch the trigger,called a hair trigger.
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Jan 2016, 1:56 pm

Lorgar wrote:And Anschutz have this on their website about dry-firing their rifles.

Question: Is it possible to dryfire rim fire rifles?

Answer: If you dryfire rimfire rifles it is always advisable to put an empty shell into the chamber.

Used rimfire shells have to be rotated, otherwise they jam in my experience, which was a long time ago but this vid might be of interest:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85tUrBclL1E
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Harper » 13 Jan 2016, 9:54 am

438 wrote:The 1400 series are sporting class rifles, They don't adjust down much below 1 lb. At least mine doesn't.
I am told that the match class, say 1700 series rifle triggers will fit the 1400 action. The trigger pull on these is set in ounces or even grams. The 4 I have fired discharge just as soon as you touch the trigger,called a hair trigger.

About 4 ounces I think they are.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Woofgear » 28 Dec 2016, 10:20 pm

Sorry for this green question..... I have the same issue; here's the question.... Do you have to remove the trigger from the stock to make these adjustments? I'm sure the answer is yes p, but wanted to make sure

Be kind to my mistakes, Cheers, Mark
Woofgear
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Lorgar » 29 Dec 2016, 1:50 pm

I'm assuming you mean remove the action from the stock... yes, that's correct. (You don't remove the trigger.)

It's been a while since I adjusted mine but from memory you can adjust the trigger weight via the bottom screw while the action is mounted, but to adjust/remove the creep you will need to remove the action from the stock to access the hex screw on the side of the trigger.

My gun are at the dealer for storage while I'm away for the holidays, will check for you in a week when I'm back in town and pick them up.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Woofgear » 29 Dec 2016, 6:23 pm

Many thanks for your swift reply and support, off with the stock it is (once I get my torque driver)

Cheers, Mark
Woofgear
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2016, 6:38 am

Hinky wrote:That's disappointing that it's so bad for both your rifles straight out of the box?

An Anschutz isn't exactly cheap, you'd think they'd do better for the money you pay.

It's call Lawyers - haven't seen one trigger on any rifle that didn't need some adjusting to make them better - they all go with the Lawyer trigger settings from my experience, anyway most can be adjusted fairly easily or simple mods to make them more user friendly (thank god). :thumbsup:

P.S. the worst factory trigger I ever had the displeasure of owning was my Sako L461AI - that thing was crap no matter how much you stuffed around with it, end result was me selling the bloody PITA - I've got no time for rifles that are crap and that thing was crap to me! :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 30 Dec 2016, 9:32 am

I've got an old Annie 1530 in 222 Rem made in 1963 and the trigger is the lightest, smoothest and crispest of any rifle I've ever used, probably because in 1963 lawyers didn't set trigger pull weights.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2016, 9:55 am

happyhunter wrote:I've got an old Annie 1530 in 222 Rem made in 1963 and the trigger is the lightest, smoothest and crispest of any rifle I've ever used, probably because in 1963 lawyers didn't set trigger pull weights.

Did you own it from new or buy it 2nd hand?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 30 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
happyhunter wrote:I've got an old Annie 1530 in 222 Rem made in 1963 and the trigger is the lightest, smoothest and crispest of any rifle I've ever used, probably because in 1963 lawyers didn't set trigger pull weights.

Second hand. I wasn't born in 1963. Most my guns are older than me :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2016, 9:14 pm

happyhunter wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Second hand. I wasn't born in 1963. Most my guns are older than me :D

That's what I though but figured I'd ask, probably worked I would say if I had to guess, either way it doesn't matter so long as it's working as one likes - that Sako I had was a real disappointment in that department sadly and was one SOAB to get working right (way over complicated trigger for mine) the Tikka was an easy tune as was the Ruger and Brno Mod 2, I never touched the Howas as I know Glen would make them the best they could be so sent them to him, I never had to work the Savages as they'd already been done and are brilliant triggers for the most part.

Anyway mate enjoy the Annie, they are a well made rifle (had one as a kid). :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Gunsmithing