Brno Mod 2 bedding

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Brno Mod 2 bedding

Post by Stix » 05 Apr 2018, 5:01 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of some GOOD info on bedding a mod2 brno...
&/or has anyone done their own that can pass on some tips & how to's...?

I desperately need to do mine & have never bedded a rifle before. :problem:

Im after specifics of brno's in particular.

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Brno Mod 2 bedding

Post by Wombat » 05 Apr 2018, 8:26 pm

The CZ section on Rimfire central has what you want :thumbsup:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Apr 2018, 9:48 am

Thanks wombat....it will take a lifetime to go through all that info...

This might be a stupid question, but can anyone tell me where to get bedding compound from & what i should buy...?...
Maybe im pressing the wrong buttons but ive searched for some time last night & basically got zip...!!! (the only hit i got was a kit from Magnums).

Also does anyone know if its worth putting pillars in a brno mod 2, & if so are there pillars/bedding kits available for them anywhere locally...?

Again maybe im pressing the wrong buttons, but i cannot find one pic or vid anywhere on bedding a mod 2...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 06 Apr 2018, 12:48 pm

Buy some devcon liquid steel or go to ballisticstudies.com and grab a bedding kit.

Pillars i have biught from brownells or sinclairs a couple of times.

Bedding isn't rocket sience but it does take time and attention to detail. Never bedded a Brno or CZ so won't comment further.

Use the custom google search on the forum to find threads about bedding rifle actiins. :thunbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 06 Apr 2018, 12:51 pm

You can buy JB weld from most industrial shops and Devcon from either Nathan Foster site or Blackwoods. Personally I like pillars or even bedding blocks glued into wooden stocks. It really takes out the issue of torque setting of the action screws just do them up as tight as you like. More so with bedding blocks with pillars and bedding dont be a gorilla.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 06 Apr 2018, 1:01 pm

devcon from ebay for what to use :thumbsup: what I would recomend
www.ebay.com.au/itm/Devcon-High-Strengt ... SwHPlWeSZP

or JB weld but is a bit harder to use as is more runny, a couple of more steps to use efficiently
www.ebay.com.au/p/J-B-Weld-8265S/250170 ... ad9f3ff608

very quickly
make sure your barrel is floating, or make it by sanding the barrel channel out to suit
tape around the barrel at the forearm tip so the action will fit to that level, holds the barrel where you want it when you take out material for epoxy
take a bit of material out of the stock for the epoxy to fit, about 2mm is all you need, rough the area up for adhesion

mix epoxy very well
use kiwi neutral shoe polish for a release agent ......

ya know what I just googled bedding a brno and have a look at this
www.msgo.com/threads/bedding-the-cz-452 ... avy.48166/

I use play doe but not as much as this guy and get the same results
also tape down the sides of the stock where the devon will spill out to save your stock finish
clean up the devcon after you set the action into the stock with cotton buds soaked in water
do not use brute force to seat the action down, some pressure is required but you want no stress on the action
seat the action so its sits like it did before you started
think about it before hand, dont take shortcuts, work it out in your head how it will go before hand, you will be fine with it :drinks:
if you muck it up dont worry about it grind it out and have another go, its not the end of the world :thumbsup: :allegedly:

good luck with it and good onya for having a crack :drinks: :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 06 Apr 2018, 1:23 pm

Not sure if that shoe polish is still available. Lee lube also works well and just to be sure dust it with graphite.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TheDude » 06 Apr 2018, 2:01 pm

I used jb weld for mine but would try devcon next time as it is runny. Kiwi netural boot polish you can get from coles or Woolies. Playdoe or plasticine and masking tape to cover the bits you don’t want bedding compound.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Apr 2018, 2:58 pm

Just on the topic of setting your bedding without inducing any stress to the action. I follow the instructions from Nathan Foster and use guide posts in the action screw holes (plenty of release agent over tape for a snug but not tight fit to ensure your action screw will be centered and not contacting the pillars or screw holes), then use rubber cut from old bike inner tubes to tie the action to the stock. Place your rubber tie downs over the action screws as much as possible.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wombat » 06 Apr 2018, 6:49 pm

If you can draw up what pillars are needed, I'll turn up a couple of sets in brass, give you one set and keep the other. I've been considering doing my Model 2 for a while.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Apr 2018, 7:14 pm

Wow, thanks guys, some great info there. :drinks: ..honestly marksman, i dont know where all that info was hiding in the many hours of searching & reading i did last night...!!

I managed to get on to a helpful smith in Vic today...he mentioned Armagrout & said he thinks its the best one at the moment--but he mentioned the release agent was crap so dont use it....but the quantaties of the ones youve sent the links to are smaller...
Last night i couldnt find anything---now its like subway--too many choices...!! :lol:

Been hunting around today for ali tube to no avail...

Thanks again guys...lots to digest & lots to do...!!!
Ill keep you informed as i (very slowly)progress...! :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 06 Apr 2018, 7:50 pm

Wombat wrote:If you can draw up what pillars are needed, I'll turn up a couple of sets in brass, give you one set and keep the other. I've been considering doing my Model 2 for a while.

Mate im not sure what id need at this point...im doing my research.

For those interested, Heres the history of my brno---
It shot great-for 25 years & has knocked over many a fox & one or so bunnies in that time...-was my go to fav rifle of all time.
Then i re finished the stock on my 22-250 & got all excited about sexy accurate guns so decided to play with the brno---(bad idea) i floated it because the barrel had a lot of pressure on it, thinking it can only make it better... :o Baou/Baouw (sound effect)...it shot worse...so i floated it some more & the stock moved & hit the barrel agian...so i floated it more...each time it shot worse...!!!...(i know--im thinking EXACTLY the same as all of you right now...!!!)

I took it to a smith who noticed the rolled pin/action screw housing thingo was sitting proud of the inside of the stock so with out bothering to check it was properly seated he ripped it out & milled 3mm off of it.
Now its too short & the rifle shoots worse again.

That was all 2 years ago--spoke to another smith who wanted to cut 3 inches off the chamber end of it & somehow rechamber it...i dont think so buddy...!!!!!
Then it sat in another place waiting for it to be bedded for nearly a year...then i went in & the guy said he was going to put screws in knox forms & machine this & bed that Bend this bit & make that up etc etc but it would be cheap...being desperate i let it go for another few months & still nothing...
Long story short i was in there one day & asked what it was going to cost & they said over $300.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Its my bunny gun for gods sake--im not defending my world championship BR comp next week...!!!
So i took it away...it shot before i floated it & fukd with the barrel pressure, so i figure bedding it back is the way to go--& i dont trust any of these guys.

Here i am 6 months later & i want my gun back & shooting. (it shoots 40mm groups at 50m now, misses & clips bunnies out to 60yds--so i dont use it).

So the mod 2 has a rolled pin (of sorts) that the action screw houses through...to me this is the same as a pillar--it stops the stock from crushing. (correct me if im wrong)
Thanks to an incompetant gunsmith mine is now too short & i crush timber when i do up the screw...so i was going to replace it.
I managed to get hold of a new one, but its too long & i dont have a lathe so i was going to get some cheap ali tube to try & butcher it with my belt sander back to the same length as the depth of the stock.

As for the front screw, well ive floated (too much) the channed, & also further relieved the timber where the barrel nut is for the front screw.

To tell the truth wombat im not sure what dimensions these pillars should be/if they need to be bedded in as well...or anything else...i just see guys on the net drill them out in a press--i dont have a press so not something i want to try freehand (yet--although i am pretty good with a drill). Hence why i was going to get some ali tube of the same dimensions as the rolled pin.

I was going to get some ali tube, sand it down to sit just proud of the timber (so the action sits 1mm high), plug everything up with platdoh & try a mock-up bedding with some plastibond next time up the farm & shoot it then & there.
If it worked id rip it all out & then properly relieve the timber & sand down the tube.
So at this point im not sure of what dimensions to give you wombat...
But your offer is a very kind one, & one i wish i could accept right away...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 06 Apr 2018, 10:11 pm

Well, if you want to just go with a straight tube, give me the ID the OD and oversize OAL and I'll turn up a couple out of scrap. It'd take five minutes, four of which would be finding a 5.3mm (at a guess) drill.
My 72 Model 2 does not have the rolled pins you describe- its just timber, the pins may either be from later production or added by someone in the past.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Apr 2018, 10:11 am

mock up bedding is a waste of effort mate and its a pita to get it out
do your practice with the real thing
just dont use a 5 minute setting epoxy
it really sounds to me after reading the rifles history that it likes to have forend pressure to shoot
that signals a flaw in the barrel but can shoot with the forend pressure
its not hard to put it back, you have your stock in a position that you can hang a weight of the front sling swivel screw
devcon the forend tip where your want the pressure, kiwi polish the barrel, hang a weight of the sling swivel screw (a bucket of water ect...)
put the rifle together as normal and let the devcon set,
you can also try some card board between the barrel and forend tip to see if it will improve it first

the idea of the forend pressure is to shorten the harmonics of the barrel, short fat barrels are more accurate at short distance
and why so many factory rifles have it especially when they have a skinny barrel, it can be a problem with timber stocks if you have warping
IMO its not the way to go but some rifles wont shoot without it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Apr 2018, 3:50 pm

Stix,
I have no idea what the rolled pin thingo is but I have owned a Mod2. Have you relieved the stock under the front bedding screw?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 08 Apr 2018, 12:04 am

It could be that the roll pins are some previous owners attempt at pillar bedding.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 09 Apr 2018, 9:56 pm

Here's a post on Rimfire Central detailing how to do a bedding job on a CZ 452 (which isn't all that different from the older Brnos) - mostly.

Different models have different ways the bedding works, but ...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=553474
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Homer » 10 Apr 2018, 1:35 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Stix, if and I quote; "I desperately need to do mine & have never bedded a rifle before. :problem:"
My best advice, is to take it to a Gunsmith, that has a good reputation on doing what you want.

Anything else (going on your above comment), sounds like a recipe for the ruination, of yet another good firearm.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Stix » 29 Apr 2018, 1:01 pm

Hi guys...
I disappeared for a bit, & so apologise for not responding to your reply posts.
Without going into much detail, i feel i should give some reason to my apparent ignorance...
There i was (nearly) ready to bed my brno & before i had a chance to read any of your suggestions i recieved news of a death & so ive been otherwise consumed with doing what i could to help my daughter sort out that mess, & ive not had the mental time or space to log on at all.

Ive even had fox & cat skins (that should be cuddly little rugs by now) still sitting in a pickle just outside the back door all that time with barely even a stir, & not even touched a piece of brass, let alone seen a rifle in this time...
(Im in so much shooting withdrawal its not funny...!!..perfect weather now & fox season & im home & hating it...but there's lots of foxes out there that are happy ive been otherwise preoccupied).

Anyway, all is sorted now, & ive got some catch-up to do...lots of brass to size & load & a shoulder that is threatning to self dislocate if i dont beat it with recoil from a few butt stocks.

Ill revisit this issue of my brno very soon i hope...in the mean time, apologies for not responding & thanks to all who posted valuble info up for me...!!!
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 29 Apr 2018, 1:16 pm

Sorry to hear about ya troubles stix but welcome back mate!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Apr 2018, 2:42 pm

+1 :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Apr 2018, 3:30 pm

Daddybang wrote:Sorry to hear about ya troubles stix but welcome back mate!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

+2 stix. condolances to you and your family mate
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Apr 2018, 4:42 pm

G;day stix sorry to hear about the bad news mate and hope all is good now
just take it easy with your withdrawals and don't over do it mate
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 29 Apr 2018, 7:20 pm

Thanks guys...
All is good now...it's my girl that'll gets hits hardest..
And grandad...thanks for the sentiment, but let me assure you in order to save barrels, ill have at least 4 rifles on the next bench im sitting at...sheesh...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 29 Apr 2018, 8:16 pm

Sorry to hear that Stix, always difficult times. Glad to hear you've got the train back on track
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Dec 2018, 11:05 am

Can anyone tell me--does an action screw need to be a snug fit to an aluminium pillar...?

I was going to buy some ali tube to replace the rolled pin in the stock of the brno mod 2.

The existing clearance is about 2.2mm in total (1.1mm all around the action screw).

If i buy the ali tube thats readily available, there will be approx 1.25mm clearance all around the action screw.

Will this suffice for a .22 or should i get something turned up...?
(I dont have a lathe)...
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Dec 2018, 11:40 am

Stix,

[Sorry to hijack this...]

I have a neighbor who has resurrected his brothers Brno Model 2.

It looks to have been manufactured in 1976. Serial No is 237 XXX, and he assures me the barrel has 'CZ Brno Mod. 2.'

I wondered if you knew anything much about the differences between the Model 2 and the Model 2E, and if you knew what serial number was the end of the Brno-made versions, before it moved to the CZ-made model?
I have read on the rimfire forums that there was a number of them assembled by CZ using the leftover parts from the Brno production, but I wondered if you knew any more info on the Model 2, and how it differed?

Also, neighbour is moaning that he has run out of Remington Yellow jackets(discontinued), and that the CCI stingers arent anywhere near as effective in knockdown compared to the Remingtons. What do you run in yours?

Sorry to hear about the family grief; I hope things settle down for you and yours.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 07 Dec 2018, 1:07 pm

Hi Rod...
I dont mind a hijack...but i do hope i get my answer... :D

If by family grief you're refering to me--that was earlier this year & lets just say its all dead, buried & over with... :)
So i want to get back to bedding my brno.

I dont know differences between 2 & 2e...mine is 1970 mod 2.

I run subsonic hollowpoints for hunting...if you hit them in the right spot everything i shoot with them falls over & not every rabbit runs away from firing subs... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2018, 1:40 pm

Stix wrote:Hi Rod...
I dont mind a hijack...but i do hope i get my answer... :D

If by family grief you're refering to me--that was earlier this year & lets just say its all dead, buried & over with... :)
So i want to get back to bedding my brno.

I dont know differences between 2 & 2e...mine is 1970 mod 2.

I run subsonic hollowpoints for hunting...if you hit them in the right spot everything i shoot with them falls over & not every rabbit runs away from firing subs... :thumbsup:

The E has the hogsback style stock comb, I think the E is for Euro but don't quote me on it. :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sungazer » 07 Dec 2018, 3:59 pm

Stix you should have clearance around your action screws. It is often quite a bit larger than what you have. Look at the pillars Lumly might have some dimensions on them. It is only the last 5 mm that is more the size of the screw/ bolt that acts as a washer of sorts. The clearance is there just to allow that little bit of natural movement and misalignment that is always going to happen. I tighten mine down pretty tight one things have settled.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Next

Return to Gunsmithing