Boyd stock sits to left

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Boyd stock sits to left

Post by newgunner » 16 Apr 2018, 9:13 am

hi guys ,
I noticed on my wifes new howa 1500 that the barrel is sitting hard to the left in the stock. Will this affect accuracy at all,or should i take it to allan swann and get him to fix it. It isnt free floating as it is i guess.
Any advice would be welcome

Cheers
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Boyd stock sits to left

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Apr 2018, 9:21 am

I'm no expert by any means NG, but one thing I do know is the barrel should be centralised and definitely not touching one side.
Perhaps take the action out and put it back with attention to where things are fitting.
Might pay to have it looked at by someone who knows how to remedy that.
If I'm talking through my blurter, someone who does know please set us straight.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by eddahenry » 16 Apr 2018, 9:49 am

thas a boydes stock for you ,, mine on my CZ455 tacticool was a massive pile of s**t to and yes sat hard left , gun shot like a pile of vomit ,, took pillers and a devcon bed to fix it
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Apr 2018, 10:09 am

Just loosen the front action screw, wedge something down the LHS of the barrel and do the screw up again and that should help keep it more centred (remove whatever it was you wedged down the side of the barrel of course after doing the screws up) I also recommend opening the barrel channels up on the Boyds (done it too about 8 or so now) I just use a sockets of varying sizes wrapped in sandpaper, doesn't take long and is easy as piss to do and just remember to seal it back up with some sort of clear coat to prevent moisture from getting in. None of mine have had any issues since doing the above and never beaded any of them and all shoot very well indeed for the most part (when I can be bothered even worrying about 5c size groups these days.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 16 Apr 2018, 10:43 am

have it decon bedded :thumbsup:
that is the only real answer :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Apr 2018, 12:04 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Just loosen the front action screw, wedge something down the LHS of the barrel and do the screw up again and that should help keep it more centred (remove whatever it was you wedged down the side of the barrel of course after doing the screws up) I also recommend opening the barrel channels up on the Boyds (done it too about 8 or so now) I just use a sockets of varying sizes wrapped in sandpaper, doesn't take long and is easy as piss to do and just remember to seal it back up with some sort of clear coat to prevent moisture from getting in. None of mine have had any issues since doing the above and never beaded any of them and all shoot very well indeed for the most part (when I can be bothered even worrying about 5c size groups these days.

+1. loosen the action screws as BFS suggests and wedge and retighten. this has worked for me on a few stocks. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Apr 2018, 8:14 pm

I am surprised to hear of issues with a Boyds stock, I was amazed at the quality of mine for the price. Well designed and perfectly inletted. Best $150 I have spent.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sawyers » 16 Apr 2018, 10:29 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I am surprised to hear of issues with a Boyds stock, I was amazed at the quality of mine for the price. Well designed and perfectly inletted. Best $150 I have spent.

Where did you pick up a boyds stock f9r $150
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Apr 2018, 11:21 am

Sawyers wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I am surprised to hear of issues with a Boyds stock, I was amazed at the quality of mine for the price. Well designed and perfectly inletted. Best $150 I have spent.

Where did you pick up a boyds stock f9r $150

Probably from Boyds directly, I was getting them for $130 delivered at one stage but now we can't buy them from there unless they are under their $99 limit which is a shame as they were great value at that price point. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 17 Apr 2018, 11:51 am

Take the action out and have a look in the stock for machining burrs etc. They often need a tiny bit of final fitting to get just right. Get a small chisel/file and make sure nothing is poking out.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2018, 12:57 pm

Supaduke wrote:Take the action out and have a look in the stock for machining burrs etc. They often need a tiny bit of final fitting to get just right. Get a small chisel/file and make sure nothing is poking out.

Yep, that's the first step. Then what BFS said if it doesn't fix it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 17 Apr 2018, 1:41 pm

Boyds stcks are 'semi-inletted'. They need a little final finishing.
Bed it...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Apr 2018, 2:09 pm

Gwion wrote:Boyds stcks are 'semi-inletted'. They need a little final finishing.
Bed it...

Nah they are fully inletted, sometimes you might need to do a little tweak to get them to fit (haven't had to do that to any of mine, actually I think one of them had to have the bolt knotch enlarged slightly (for the ruger from memory) but the rest have been drop in fits and I as a rule open the barrel channel up more as I like to ensure good clearance around the barrel. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2018, 3:23 pm

bedding is the only proper real fix, the rifle needs to be able to recoil and return to battery every time, exactly the same
this is the real remedy

a quick fix like wedging something in to move the barrel and action across might be ok for short distance but you will never get the best from your rifle

depends on what you want and what is acceptable to you :drinks:
but either way if your happy so am I :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 17 Apr 2018, 5:26 pm

The two Boyds i have had have both needed a bit of fitting.
Anyway... i just pillar and full length bedded them for good measure.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Apr 2018, 8:08 pm

Yes, the price direct from Boyds was $99 USD a few years back, I was going to chop the stock up to fit a child but after seeing it I couldn't bring myself to take to it with a saw. The only thing is it is a bit slippery but a bit of texture at the pistol grip helps me hold it. At $350 for a stock in Australia they are getting close to a GRS when they are on special.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by newgunner » 18 Apr 2018, 6:21 am

I decided to take the howa to allan swann and get it bedded and free floated properley. And get a good pachmeyer recoil pad fitted,the one the boyd stock has is crap. This way its done in a way that doesnt involve me screwing up the wifes gun. Its not worth the grief i would get off her for hurting her new baby ...lol
newgunner
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing