Recommended adjustable torque drivers?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Recommended adjustable torque drivers?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 18 Apr 2018, 9:33 pm

Been looking at buying a torque driver for a while, what does everyone like/dislike?

I found the vortex torque drivers at a good price, and i see the wheeler fat wrench on the net alot
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Recommended adjustable torque drivers?

Post by rsj223 » 18 Apr 2018, 10:58 pm

I have the wheeler fat wrench dont like it 100% and only got it to resolve some issues but it was not the problem, make an offer if you like to try this type
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Apr 2018, 11:00 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Been looking at buying a torque driver for a while, what does everyone like/dislike?

I just use a quarter-inch drive, inch-pound torque wrench.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 19 Apr 2018, 5:44 am

What brand do you have bladeracer?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 19 Apr 2018, 6:09 am

Warren and brown make the best torque wrench i've ever used, came across it at trade school a few years ago assembling engines
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Justin9mm » 19 Apr 2018, 12:40 pm

I'm looking for a torque wrench to buy. If anyone has a good 1/4 Drive in/lbs wrench they want to sell and are in Melbourne, let me know. Looking to buy a decent one cheaper than buying retail to save me some cash.

Cheers.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2018, 3:00 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:What brand do you have bladeracer?

I can't be bothered going back through several years of Ebay history just now.
Mine is "branded" Nielson 20-200in/lb, but I'm sure it's just a generic Chinese-made tool.
It came in a blow-mould case with some sockets and a short extension.
I can't recall the price but something over $100 from memory.

Just checked the Vortex, it looks like a great price.
I have a messed up right hand so I don't much like the screwdriver-style designs.

Remember to treat it as a precision instrument, keep it cased and take the tension out of the springs during storage.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Apr 2018, 3:23 pm

Any large bicycle shop should have the small 1/4" drive torque wrenches, think I got mine from Clarence St Cyclery in Sydney.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Justin9mm » 19 Apr 2018, 3:47 pm

brett1868 wrote:Any large bicycle shop should have the small 1/4" drive torque wrenches, think I got mine from Clarence St Cyclery in Sydney.

I know you can get those but they are in NM and I know its an easy conversion but I want to be able to set things to the exact manufacturers in/lbs specification. I'm looking for a better quality one than the cycle ones you can buy for $50-$60.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2018, 3:56 pm

Justin9mm wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Any large bicycle shop should have the small 1/4" drive torque wrenches, think I got mine from Clarence St Cyclery in Sydney.

I know you can get those but they are in NM and I know its an easy conversion but I want to be able to set things to the exact manufacturers in/lbs specification. I'm looking for a better quality one than the cycle ones you can buy for $50-$60.

If you equate high price with high quality this would do the trick for sure.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Warren-Brown-Deflecting-Beam-Torque-Wrench-1-4-1-25Nm-320510/122110084440

I would definitely recommend one that clicks so you can both feel and hear it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Apr 2018, 5:08 pm

Justin9mm wrote:

The one I got has selectable units including in/lbs and wasn't cheap but there are plenty of budget alternatives on the market.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 19 Apr 2018, 7:08 pm

I have the Wheeler fat max. Which I don't mind.
Just make sure you buy one that does inch pounds. Wouldn't mistaking use foot pounds
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 19 Apr 2018, 10:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Justin9mm wrote:

If you equate high price with high quality this would do the trick for sure.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Warren-Brown-Deflecting-Beam-Torque-Wrench-1-4-1-25Nm-320510/122110084440

I would definitely recommend one that clicks so you can both feel and hear it.

Yeah nah.. I meant more higher quality like the FAT Wrench or Vortex one which they are around the $120 mark.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 19 Apr 2018, 11:43 pm

G"Day KC

Something like this may fulfill your requirements ?...

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... ive/214303

Or if you prefer more brand name stuff....?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-1- ... h_p6120104

These two examples both offer IN/Lb and Nm on the one tool, they are certainly not alone in that aspect... One thing I'll add is that this kind of gear (regardless of what you get) requires care... As said by bladeracer, "treat it as a precision instrument, keep it cased and take the tension out of the springs during storage".... :thumbsup:

Also, examine the warranty if you are inclined to spend up big on one... I think you will find that even the mobs that offer lifetime warranty on most tools, like Sidcrome/Kincrome, Repco etc....... will offer significantly less warranty on such tools.. Read the fine print..!!!!!

:drinks:

The drunken dingo :D
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 20 Apr 2018, 12:02 am

darwindingo wrote:G"Day KC

Something like this may fulfill your requirements ?...

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... ive/214303

Or if you prefer more brand name stuff....?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-1- ... h_p6120104

These two examples both offer IN/Lb and Nm on the one tool, they are certainly not alone in that aspect... One thing I'll add is that this kind of gear (regardless of what you get) requires care... As said by bladeracer, "treat it as a precision instrument, keep it cased and take the tension out of the springs during storage".... :thumbsup:

Also, examine the warranty if you are inclined to spend up big on one... I think you will find that even the mobs that offer lifetime warranty on most tools, like Sidcrome/Kincrome, Repco etc....... will offer significantly less warranty on such tools.. Read the fine print..!!!!!

The drunken dingo :D

The Super cheap one only starts at 40in/lb so is not suitable. The Kingchrome starts at 17.5in/lb which is better. One that reads down to 10in/lb would be ideal.
Last edited by bladeracer on 20 Apr 2018, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Apr 2018, 12:06 am

darwindingo wrote: As said by bladeracer, "treat it as a precision instrument, keep it cased and take the tension out of the springs during storage".... :thumbsup:

I forgot the most important bit - never lend any precision tool to anybody!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 20 Apr 2018, 12:46 am

bladeracer wrote:
darwindingo wrote: As said by bladeracer, "treat it as a precision instrument, keep it cased and take the tension out of the springs during storage".... :thumbsup:

I forgot the most important bit - never lend any precision tool to anybody!

That is the best bit of advice that could be given, Re.. precison tool's :thumbsup:

Fair call on the torque stuff mate.. I should have been more focused on the intended application rather than the warranty and IN/Lb and Nm on one tool,etc.... :drinks:

Drunken Dingo
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Return to Gunsmithing