Vertical grips and Thumbhole stocks

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Vertical grips and Thumbhole stocks

Post by PaddyT » 21 May 2018, 10:55 am

Ok- lesson for simpleton (me), can someone explain to me what the advantages of these would be- do they reduce felt recoil? Do they improve the shooters hold on the rifle- hence give an improvement in accuracy- Current rifles are LA101 and a Tikka Lite in 223 but looking at a Tikka light in 308 for hunting later this year- would any of these gain an improvement from the use of either of these things- or is it just a "feel" thing
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Vertical grips and Thumbhole stocks

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2018, 11:15 am

PaddyT wrote:Ok- lesson for simpleton (me), can someone explain to me what the advantages of these would be- do they reduce felt recoil? Do they improve the shooters hold on the rifle- hence give an improvement in accuracy- Current rifles are LA101 and a Tikka Lite in 223 but looking at a Tikka light in 308 for hunting later this year- would any of these gain an improvement from the use of either of these things- or is it just a "feel" thing

I much prefer a pistol grip, makes carrying the rifle easier, and for me, it makes accurate shooting easier. I don't think I've ever owned a thumbhole stock, but I've held them. They're similar to a pistol grip, but not the same for me. I have a messed up hand so it may be that I just find a pistol grip easier, others may not. Too many people think "tacticool" and apply reasoning based on what they perceive somebody else might think of them, instead of considering there may be legitimate reasons all militarys transitioned to pistol-grip rifles decades ago, and simply try it for themselves.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 21 May 2018, 12:15 pm

I've got a thumb hole on a air rifle of mine which is the heaviest firearm i own, it does make a difference is how it handles, i can put alot of pressure on the back to lift the front, hard to explain in text but its personal preference really
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by sungazer » 21 May 2018, 12:41 pm

I have a thumb hole on one of my rifles so I can compare them. The thumbhole is really good on a carry gun there are just times when it works for you. shooting wise for me i think it fits a smaller hand better of course that is going to vary on design. any vertical you are getting is probably more due to the angle of the bottom of the butstock.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 21 May 2018, 9:55 pm

Positional shooter all use thumbhole or pistol grip stocks, the Anschutz SuperMatch thumbhole is one of the best around. Most 3P Anschutz shooters now opt for the Aluminium Precise stock which uses a pistol grip. Try a few, you may find you prefer them even if they look a bit ugly.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 22 May 2018, 8:43 am

I find the vertical grips and/or thumbhole stocks to be a bit kinder on my wrist; likely an old age thing...

The way I hold a vertical grip seems a bit more 'relaxed' to me; the more traditional style of stock finds my wrist extends at more of an angle.

Elder brother (who broke a wrist years ago) says the same; the pistol grip feels more comfortable for him to operate.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 22 May 2018, 11:01 am

Thanks fellas , have ordered a pistol grip for my Tikka - $40 delivered so not exactly going to break the bank if i dont like it- will give it a run on Friday
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 25 May 2018, 2:44 pm

You get a more direct approach to the trigger from a thumbhole or verticle grip. More control. Better precision.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PaddyT » 26 May 2018, 8:17 am

Tried out the vertical grip last night at the range- feels good in the hand- rifle is very accurate anyway so no change there- shot a couple of rounds off the shoulder and thats were i felt is was nicer - my offhand shooting on the other hand is still in need of practice!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Jun 2018, 6:10 pm

When you are shooting offhand keep the recoil pad very high in your shoulder, I have only the bottom tip touching my shoulder, one of those times an adjustable stock would be very handy.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 27 Jun 2018, 4:15 pm

One point not mentioned yet is "felt recoil", a pistol grip allows a certain amount of recoil to be absorbed by the arm which leave less to be felt by the shoulder :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 28 Jun 2018, 8:25 am

brett1868 wrote:One point not mentioned yet is "felt recoil", a pistol grip allows a certain amount of recoil to be absorbed by the arm which leave less to be felt by the shoulder :)

Cheers Brett, thats the info i was after, looked at the Hatchers thumbhole stocks at Shot Show and really liked the feel, I have a pretty crook shoulder from 25 years as a fast bowler and ive had some mental concerns about building up to a heavier caliber from the 22 and 223 that i currently have. the concept building in my mind is to get a Tikka T3X Varmint or CTR in 308 and have it fitted out with a Hatcher thumbhole and very absorbent recoil pad,the idea being that i will have enough retained weight in the rifle from the heavier build and the abilty to "spread" the recoil through my whole body rather than just keep belting my shoulder. Anyway- will keep thinking and looking.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing