Voere .22 rear sight

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Voere .22 rear sight

Post by Stoney » 29 May 2018, 7:09 pm

G'day All, Just a quick question if I may. I recently inherited an old 60's? Voere .22 from my Uncle and I was wanting to fit a decent scope to it as it came with the original 4x15 high power sniper scope he bought for it lol. So I need to remove the back ramp sight as the scope I want to fit is hitting up against it. There is no barrel band or a screw on the sight so...…..does that mean it is soldered or dovetailed on? How do I get it off? I have a bad history of f*cking things so I have now learnt to ask questions. Cheers.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Voere .22 rear sight

Post by marksman » 30 May 2018, 4:45 pm

it really could be either as you have said Stoney
soldered or dovetailed
we need a photo to be certain :unknown:
dovetailed, just drift it of or soldered heat and a tap moves them :thumbsup:
they are IMO a very well made rifle
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 30 May 2018, 6:03 pm

let uncle at it with a nine inch grinder stoney, she'll be right :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 30 May 2018, 6:16 pm

marksman wrote:it really could be either as you have said Stoney
soldered or dovetailed
we need a photo to be certain :unknown:
dovetailed, just drift it of or soldered heat and a tap moves them :thumbsup:
they are IMO a very well made rifle

Rightio, here are some pics. I don't want to start bashing away and do damage. The front sight is the same it sits on top of a flattened off area at the muzzle. It's a good old gun marksman. It has a lot of sentimental value to me.
Attachments
20180530_174209.jpg
20180530_174209.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 5153 times
20180530_174201.jpg
20180530_174201.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 5153 times
20180530_174130.jpg
20180530_174130.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5153 times
20180530_174107.jpg
20180530_174107.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 5153 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 30 May 2018, 6:22 pm

bigrich wrote:let uncle at it with a nine inch grinder stoney, she'll be right :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah...………...Nah mate.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 May 2018, 6:32 pm

i could be mistaken stoney, but i reckon if you drift out the pin holding the "adjustable" part to the rear sight base, you might find a screw under there. thats how my rear sight on my krico was attached. i have a nice gunsmithing pin punch kit down here.....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 30 May 2018, 6:52 pm

bigrich wrote:i could be mistaken stoney, but i reckon if you drift out the pin holding the "adjustable" part to the rear sight base, you might find a screw under there. thats how my rear sight on my krico was attached. i have a nice gunsmithing pin punch kit down here.....

I should have asked Mr Krico in the first place it seems :lol: Seeing that our rifles are literally cousins from the Motherland :lol: I guess I shall come for a visit then :D
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 May 2018, 7:09 pm

that's BARON VON KRICO , dumbkoff ! :lol: cost ya a coopers but :lol: might be away on a trip this weekend but, just waitin' to here from old mate :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 31 May 2018, 2:24 pm

bigrich wrote:i could be mistaken stoney, but i reckon if you drift out the pin holding the "adjustable" part to the rear sight base, you might find a screw under there. thats how my rear sight on my krico was attached. i have a nice gunsmithing pin punch kit down here.....

my thoughts as well
sometimes I have seen them put on with a screw and silver solder
if it is silver soldered heat with a plumbers torch and tap lightly, it will fall off when ready
the solder is a bitch to remove
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 04 Jun 2018, 5:25 pm

marksman wrote:

my thoughts as well
sometimes I have seen them put on with a screw and silver solder
if it is silver soldered heat with a plumbers torch and tap lightly, it will fall off when ready
the solder is a bitch to remove

So it seems it is soldered. How hard/How do you remove the solder Marksman? The front sight is dovetailed, the hood is steel but surprisingly the sight itself is plastic?
Attachments
20180604_155903.jpg
20180604_155903.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 5095 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Jun 2018, 7:56 am

Gunna have to take the action out of the stock, heat up the sight with uncle’s butane torch ( if he can find it ), heat it till you see the surface colour change, then give it a gentle tap . You don’t want to heat it anywhere near red or glowing. If the rear sight were bare metal, it would turn a slight “blue “ colour when the heat is about right
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 06 Jun 2018, 8:44 am

Rather than the various attempts at butchery that have been suggested wouldn't it be simpler to just fit taller rings?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 06 Jun 2018, 4:33 pm

the way I have done it to a few is to remove the barrel and action put it in a vise with soft jaws
apply heat with a plumbers torch moving the heat all over the sight and barrel, tapping it till it will just fall off
the solder may still be present after it falls off and wont take blue
so its either put up with it or remove and reblue
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 06 Jun 2018, 5:30 pm

bigrich wrote:Gunna have to take the action out of the stock, heat up the sight with uncle’s butane torch ( if he can find it ), heat it till you see the surface colour change, then give it a gentle tap . You don’t want to heat it anywhere near red or glowing. If the rear sight were bare metal, it would turn a slight “blue “ colour when the heat is about right

Apparently Silver solder is a whole different ballgame to tin/lead solder mate.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 06 Jun 2018, 5:41 pm

straightshooter wrote:Rather than the various attempts at butchery that have been suggested wouldn't it be simpler to just fit taller rings?

Yes, straightshooter that is true. I just hate having to put overly tall rings on any rifle.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 06 Jun 2018, 5:59 pm

marksman wrote:the way I have done it to a few is to remove the barrel and action put it in a vise with soft jaws
apply heat with a plumbers torch moving the heat all over the sight and barrel, tapping it till it will just fall off

So there would be a patch of bright unblued barrel?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 06 Jun 2018, 6:06 pm

Maybe taller rings and a stockpack to raise cheek position ?

You risk buggering an impressive piece of kit, that will never again be manufactured.

The Jolly Hun knew how to make rifles for sure.
Last edited by Tiger650 on 06 Jun 2018, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 06 Jun 2018, 6:57 pm

Stoney wrote:
marksman wrote:the way I have done it to a few is to remove the barrel and action put it in a vise with soft jaws

So there would be a patch of bright unblued barrel?

no usually a patch of solder
I have tried using a solder sucker while melted to get it off but not much luck
it has been sanded, polished and reblued to fix the appearance
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 08 Jun 2018, 7:56 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Maybe taller rings and a stockpack to raise cheek position ?

You risk buggering an impressive piece of kit, that will never again be manufactured.

Yes, Tiger650 I have decided to just get some taller rings. Way less hassle.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Jun 2018, 9:31 am

straightshooter wrote:Rather than the various attempts at butchery that have been suggested wouldn't it be simpler to just fit taller rings?

butchery ? ya spoiling my fun straightshooter , i even went and got a blue and white stripped apron and everthing ! :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 09 Jun 2018, 10:09 pm

Stoney wrote:
Tiger650 wrote:Maybe taller rings and a stockpack to raise cheek position ?

Yes, Tiger650 I have decided to just get some taller rings. Way less hassle.

Cheers Stoney

A velcro affixed stock pack will be cheap ex Ebay and cheek height can be tuned with a little foam rubber sheet or whatever.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing