Help a brother out! Mauser safety

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Help a brother out! Mauser safety

Post by BoerAndRifle » 29 May 2018, 10:00 pm

I've got a bit of a problem, and I hope someone in the upstanding Australian shooting community can help.

I've had my M38 Swedish Mauser for a little over a year now and its functioned perfectly. Something's gone wrong though. When the rifle is uncocked and in the middle safety position, I'm unable to work the bolt. When its cocked though I can work the bolt in the middle position just fine.

Any idea what I can do to fix? Am I missing something way too obvious?

Thanks guys!
BoerAndRifle
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Help a brother out! Mauser safety

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 May 2018, 7:21 am

G'day BoerAndRifle,
Sounds normal to me, uncocked at position 2 (vertical) or 3 (right) the bolt should be locked. With the action cocked, position 2, bolt should open for unloading but striker should not fire, cocked position 3, bolt should again be locked. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 30 May 2018, 10:22 am

Ive never intentionally tried using the safety on an uncocked mauser but the cocked operation described is what you would expect.
Bigjobss

Post by marksman » 30 May 2018, 11:39 am

I dont know much about the 96 myself but this may help
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu2rHqM0RGU
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing