Rifle cover options

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Rifle cover options

Post by GQshayne » 28 Apr 2020, 5:26 pm

I am looking for a rifle cover (again). I bought a Neoguard Varminter cover, but there is no way it would fit over the Tikka Deluxe stock with Montecarlo cheekpiece, and beaver tail fore-end. I never considered it to be overly large, but it is a fair size I have to admit. The Neoguard was not even close to being an option, so that rules out the Bocashield as well.

DSCN1245.JPG
DSCN1245.JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 7103 times

DSCN1237.JPG
DSCN1237.JPG (765.46 KiB) Viewed 7103 times

So I have done some googling, but not much success so far. I thought a Neoguard could be made to fit if I cut it in two pieces, and discarded the centre piece that goes around the action. I am mainly looking to protect butt and fore-end anyway.

Something like this would be ok, but this one is not likely to fit over my cheek piece.

https://www.beartooth-products.com/coll ... ltree-edge

So that leaves making one out of some suitable material. Neoprene is good, and you could use some thinner stuff than usual to help with feel. Bit of mucking about but doable.

Does anyone know of a decent one on the market that may suit my stock????

Cheers,
Shayne
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Rifle cover options

Post by solarpak » 29 Apr 2020, 8:26 am

Shayne,
the joys of walnut......nice stock profile on the Tikka (certainly not a Plastikka!!!)

The only choice neoprene - camo tape can tend to go tacky and cause more problems .....
Or just use the rifle as is and enjoy!!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 29 Apr 2020, 8:15 pm

solarpak wrote:Shayne,
the joys of walnut......nice stock profile on the Tikka (certainly not a Plastikka!!!)

The only choice neoprene - camo tape can tend to go tacky and cause more problems .....
Or just use the rifle as is and enjoy!!

C.

Thanks Con, I had already decided camo tape was not a good option. Looking like a home made neoprene one might be a good option. I actually have two of those rifles with the same stock. As you say, very nice, but need looking after.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 29 Apr 2020, 10:41 pm

Left of field - have you seen those hand held (very small) sewing machines? They are about $50 from memory but they can follow contours - so you could snug up a cover with one ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Apr 2020, 7:57 pm

solarpak wrote:Shayne,

C.

Easy solution,,,,,,,, put this one in a glass case,,,,,,,,, protected by alarms,,,,,,,,,,,

And buy something you can actually use in the bush,,,, or, as already said, "use it, and enjoy"

It's only the first real scrape or ding that hurts.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 30 Apr 2020, 8:26 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Left of field - have you seen those hand held (very small) sewing machines? They are about $50 from memory but they can follow contours - so you could snug up a cover with one ?

I haven't seen what you refer to, but I agree that making something to suit is a good option.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2020, 8:27 pm

You cant just buy a sock and cut it up?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 30 Apr 2020, 8:30 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Easy solution,,,,,,,, put this one in a glass case,,,,,,,,, protected by alarms,,,,,,,,,,,

And buy something you can actually use in the bush,,,, or, as already said, "use it, and enjoy"

It's only the first real scrape or ding that hurts.

I agree it is to be used. But I like to look after them while using them. Some care will allow both. The other rifle that is not pictured here, I have owned for over 30 years now.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2020, 8:35 pm

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GQshayne » 30 Apr 2020, 8:45 pm

Oldbloke wrote:You cant just buy a sock and cut it up?

Yes I could for sure. Like the idea of neoprene better though.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 30 Apr 2020, 8:46 pm

TassieTiger wrote:These are simple to use...
https://www.fruugoaustralia.com/handy-s ... gKRhfD_BwE

Are you sure!!! LOL
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Apr 2020, 9:02 pm

If I’m loading rifles into the Ute to head away and I’m a case short I wrap one in a sleeping bag or blanket , I always was and will always be a bit feral
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 23 May 2020, 6:53 pm

G'day, I found this in a local gun shop recently:

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/gear/ ... -gun-cover

I wanted a cover for my .222 rifles with ATN NV scopes that could be taken off quickly and put back on equally quickly if it rained or I needed to move position. It is very roomy and open [elasticised] at the bottom. I can't remember how much.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 27 May 2020, 7:33 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day, I found this in a local gun shop recently:

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/gear/ ... -gun-cover

I wanted a cover for my .222 rifles with ATN NV scopes that could be taken off quickly and put back on equally quickly if it rained or I needed to move position. It is very roomy and open [elasticised] at the bottom. I can't remember how much.

Jim

I saw that too. Looks good.

But I am after a cover to be left on during use, such as spotlighting out a window, where it can get a few knocks on it. I bought a used wetsuit yesterday, so the shaped sleeves etc should make it a bit easier. When I get around to it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 May 2020, 8:46 pm

Sell it and by a cheap rifle with a plastic stock like I have. Lol Won't worry so much then. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by HikeandHunt » 27 May 2020, 11:00 pm

If you want that neoprene material, just cut the leg off an old wetsuit.
HikeandHunt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 28 May 2020, 8:50 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sell it and by a cheap rifle with a plastic stock like I have. Lol Won't worry so much then. :thumbsup:

Next you will be offering to do a swap for me. :crazy: :roll:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 May 2020, 9:45 pm

GQshayne wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Sell it and by a cheap rifle with a plastic stock like I have. Lol Won't worry so much then. :thumbsup:

Next you will be offering to do a swap for me. :crazy: :roll:

Na mine's only about 5 years old. Yours is much older. I would need some additional compensation. After all, my stock is more weather and scratch resistant. :allegedly: :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 29 May 2020, 8:42 pm

Had a bit of a stuff around with the wet suit today, and have concluded that starting with a straight piece of neoprene is easier. The wet suit is shaped and has seams in it, and in the end it is close but not close enough, and the seams just end up in the middle of it where you don't want them. I will likely end up with a piece of each, as that is what is handy.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 07 Jun 2020, 2:19 pm

GQshayne wrote:I am looking for a rifle cover (again). I bought a Neoguard Varminter cover, but there is no way it would fit over the Tikka Deluxe stock with Montecarlo cheekpiece, and beaver tail fore-end. I never considered it to be overly large, but it is a fair size I have to admit. The Neoguard was not even close to being an option, so that rules out the Bocashield as well.

DSCN1245.JPG

DSCN1237.JPG

So I have done some googling, but not much success so far. I thought a Neoguard could be made to fit if I cut it in two pieces, and discarded the centre piece that goes around the action. I am mainly looking to protect butt and fore-end anyway.

Something like this would be ok, but this one is not likely to fit over my cheek piece.

So that leaves making one out of some suitable material. Neoprene is good, and you could use some thinner stuff than usual to help with feel. Bit of mucking about but doable.

Cheers,
Shayne

I just ordered a Beartooth slip on recoil pad and the stock guard without the bullet loops. Recoil pad for my 7600 308 and the stock guard for a nicely stocked lever action. The two with delivery totalled $89 Aussie Dollars. They look ok online, but I’ll see what I think of them when they turn up.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 07 Jun 2020, 7:36 pm

Shootermick wrote:
GQshayne wrote:I am looking for a rifle cover (again). I bought a Neoguard Varminter cover, but there is no way it would fit over the Tikka Deluxe stock with Montecarlo cheekpiece, and beaver tail fore-end. I never considered it to be overly large, but it is a fair size I have to admit. The Neoguard was not even close to being an option, so that rules out the Bocashield as well.

DSCN1245.JPG

DSCN1237.JPG

Cheers,
Shayne

I just ordered a Beartooth slip on recoil pad and the stock guard without the bullet loops. Recoil pad for my 7600 308 and the stock guard for a nicely stocked lever action. The two with delivery totalled $89 Aussie Dollars. They look ok online, but I’ll see what I think of them when they turn up.

I got a Beartooth one for my dad a few years back. Fits his straight stocked Sako well and has worked well.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hunter257 » 12 Jun 2020, 11:10 am

if you want a neoprene gun cover to fit snuggly it will have to be made specifically. why not contact one of the wetsuit repair companies and get them to make one. trust me it will be quite cheap, but probably only black, though they might have camo for spear fishing suits. there's a mob in Sydney that could do it easily. Remember these guys can custom build a diving suit for @$700 so a two piece 'bikini' for the fore end and rear end of the stock would be a piece of piss, especially if it either pulled on or velcro'd on instead of zipping.
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 12 Jun 2020, 7:47 pm

It's going to be a DIY job when time permits. Soon.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by scruffa » 24 Jun 2020, 3:08 pm

Hi all,
I have pretty much the same question except I'm looking for recommendations for a softcover bag (not neoprene) that
a) is affordable
and
b) will be able to be used for both my Adler tactical shotgun and my Sauer scoped .308 (not at the same time)

any suggestions?

Cheers.
scruffa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jun 2020, 4:21 pm

Not certain what you are after. I'm guessing cover frowned and but.

I made a cheek riser from some light leather. Basic but works.

20200624_161319.jpg
20200624_161319.jpg (247.55 KiB) Viewed 6081 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 26 Jun 2020, 8:59 pm

scruffa wrote:Hi all,
I have pretty much the same question except I'm looking for recommendations for a softcover bag (not neoprene) that
a) is affordable
and
b) will be able to be used for both my Adler tactical shotgun and my Sauer scoped .308 (not at the same time)

any suggestions?

Cheers.

If you are talking about a normal old soft gun case, my dad got a Spika one for not a lot of money and it is good thing. I would have a look at one as an option for sure.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hercl » 27 Jun 2020, 8:57 am

I don't know what case will fit it, but that is a nice looking bit of timber :thumbsup:
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment