Thoughts on cleaning, Rod or Snake ?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Thoughts on cleaning, Rod or Snake ?

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Dec 2021, 6:02 pm

I've been looking at various brands of one piece rods for doing the .17 with.
I already have a bore snake.

But when looking closely at the one piece diameter/strength over their length,,, I wonder how they put up with the pressure without bending.

Anyone got much experience re brands good or bad ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Thoughts on cleaning, Rod or Snake ?

Post by Strikey » 06 Dec 2021, 6:41 pm

Boresnakes should only be used as a leash for walking the dog, get yourself a decent one piece rod such as a Dewey or Pro Shot, even the GunSlick rods aren't too bad. Ask a reputable gunsmith for their opinions of Boresnakes.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 06 Dec 2021, 7:23 pm

I actually just bought a 17hmr and in preparation I bought both a snake and a cleaning rod. Haven't use either yet though. I'm waiting on a barb and brush I bought online too.
The rod seems reasonably stiff. It's a birchwood casey coated steel for $32 or something. I can't see it being an issue with bending unless patches are too big.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 06 Dec 2021, 8:32 pm

Strikey wrote:Boresnakes should only be used as a leash for walking the dog, get yourself a decent one piece rod such as a Dewey or Pro Shot, even the GunSlick rods aren't too bad. Ask a reputable gunsmith for their opinions of Boresnakes.

You've got that right & gunsmiths love boresnakes gets them a lot of work
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Dec 2021, 8:40 pm

For proper cleaning only a good 1 piece rod for me, boresnakes should be considered a field expedient only, and just like the old pull through should never be dragged across the edge of the crown but be pulled straight out of the bore, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Dec 2021, 8:51 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:For proper cleaning only a good 1 piece rod for me, boresnakes should be considered a field expedient only, and just like the old pull through should never be dragged across the edge of the crown but be pulled straight out of the bore, Cheers.

Agree 100%
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Robin » 07 Dec 2021, 7:03 am

A bore snake is like a girl you meet in a pub, you get the job done but not totally satisfied, a cleaning rod is like a long term partner, it takes longer and when the job is done, you are satisfied with the result.

All in all, a rod will give u a better clean
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Dec 2021, 9:32 am

All sentiments expressed thus far are pretty much as I expected.
I'm thinking of going for a hardened stainless rod,,,,,, but the price tags are up there ,, ( $80 - $90 )
So,, nobody has had any issues with such tiny rods bending ??

Or,,, maybe meet some sheila in a pub,,,, and ask if she would help me get a cleaning job done with my new rod ?

:lol: :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 07 Dec 2021, 10:22 am

Well as they say size of the rod doesn't matter it is how you use it :lol:

Now that's out of the way die judicii I have 4 pro shot cleaning rods one including 17 Cal they are fine just keep it centered if you can't do that get yourself a bore guide all will be fine .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 07 Dec 2021, 5:43 pm

one piece stainless rod and bore guide for me. I carry a 3piece alloy one in the field for emergencies tho...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by boingk » 07 Dec 2021, 10:52 pm

Bore snakes should be considered disposable. They are good for drying, unfouling or removing debris but not reliably cleaning copper or lead deposits.

If you are in a warzone, a bore snake is brilliant.

But a rod - of any type - is better. Ideally single piece, yes, but even a multi is better than a bore snake.

What do I do? I have a nice little cased kit with basic brushes and mops. Its got a three-piece aluminum rod setup with brass jags and works a treat. They're $30 on ebay.

So long as the consumables (patches, mops, brushes) you put through the bore are clean the rod is secondary IMO.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by deye243 » 07 Dec 2021, 11:24 pm

This is what I keep in my bag

20211208_002229.jpg
20211208_002229.jpg (97.92 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 08 Dec 2021, 4:17 pm

Making me think here. Would a steel centre with carbon over the top avoid a lot of flex? I picture the stainless rods would flex a lot. Might even have a play with some carbon tube I've got laying around here
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 08 Dec 2021, 5:48 pm

The stainless rods dont flex much at least if you keep the pressure behind the rod.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by deye243 » 08 Dec 2021, 6:29 pm

What are you pushing through the bore you need a hell of a lot of resistance to have a problem
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 08 Dec 2021, 6:41 pm

I'm just going by comments of people talking about flexing. I actually thought I must be doing it wrong because I don't have that issue!
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Dec 2021, 8:42 pm

I bought a one piece stainless rod complete with jag and patches etc.
Should be here before Xmas.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 26 Dec 2021, 5:22 am

Replaced a stainless 1pc rod with a carbon fibre to reduce the risk of damage. Cutting the patches to the size that a nylon brush resistance is is the way to not bend or break anything.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 06 Feb 2022, 9:27 am

Die Judicii wrote:All sentiments expressed thus far are pretty much as I expected.
I'm thinking of going for a hardened stainless rod,,,,,, but the price tags are up there ,, ( $80 - $90 )
So,, nobody has had any issues with such tiny rods bending ??

Or,,, maybe meet some sheila in a pub,,,, and ask if she would help me get a cleaning job done with my new rod ?

:lol: :lol:

Obv they will bend in the barrel bore, but you get a coated (teflon or whatever it is) so it doesn't matter. And get a one-piece rod.

However I disagree with the negative sentiments about bore snakes. I use them a lot; the rifle which has had a boresnake through it the most is a .308 which has had thousands of rounds down it, cleaned with a boresnake most of the time and is still <1 MoA accurate.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Feb 2022, 10:21 am

FWIW Die Judicii
Part of the bigger picture is that a vice on a solid workbench is a Great Thing :D to have in your shed. Clamping the barrel leaves you with two free hands, which makes the job easier. If the rod bends and touches the bore, pull it back out and reduce the size of the patch.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bill » 06 Feb 2022, 3:34 pm

SPIKA make a lovely 4mm Carbon Fibre cleaning rod, makes sure you buy the small 17 call patches. I paid $65 for my 1 piece rod, I use it now to clean my 20 hornet.

Comes in a protective tube :drinks:

https://spika.com.au/products/cleaning- ... -fiber-rod
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2022, 4:11 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:FWIW Die Judicii
Part of the bigger picture is that a vice on a solid workbench is a Great Thing :D to have in your shed. Clamping the barrel leaves you with two free hands, which makes the job easier. If the rod bends and touches the bore, pull it back out and reduce the size of the patch.

Sh1t. I never do that. I made a simple wooden rifle rest, it get put in the Vice.

Not identical but along these lines.

https://youtu.be/HpwssJzoArg
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 06 Feb 2022, 4:15 pm

I just bought a little 6 inch rod for my pistols. So much better than using a 30 inch rifle rod. Should of done it moons ago.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Feb 2022, 6:43 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:FWIW Die Judicii

Sh1t. I never do that. I made a simple wooden rifle rest, it get put in the Vice.

Not identical but along these lines.

https://youtu.be/HpwssJzoArg

Er. Just to make everything perfectly clear, perhaps I should have mentioned that there is some protective material wrapped round the barrel before it goes between those nasty vice jaws :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Feb 2022, 6:53 pm

Cleaning rods are pretty useless for holding your trousers up.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment