Hearing Protection for cold weather

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Hearing Protection for cold weather

Post by Jorlcrin » 20 May 2024, 9:52 am

Folks,

I've been a devoted wearer of hearing protection for the past 3 decades at least.

I find I prefer decent electronic muffs, but there are many of the market that arent very good.
And many that dont last very long.
And many have stupid electronic controls, which are hard top locate and adjust, especially wearing gloves.

I've used a range of both passive and electronic muffs over this time, and keep a mix of both.
My current go-to electronic muffs are a a pair of Howard Leight 'Impact Pro' muffs, which have an NRR of 30db, and have a simple volume control thats easy to use.
But they are bulky, and pretty much negate the use of anything to keep my elderly noggin warm.

I avoid ear-plugs, because most tend to irritate my ears when I use them.

However, given I'm doing regular hunting sessions at sunrise, and given the cold bitey wind from the South is knocking me around, I expect I'll have to choose between earplugs, or keeping the head warm..

I'm going to trial some of the "DECIBULLZ CUSTOM MOLDED PERCUSSIVE EARPLUGS", and fit the optional lanyard to them.
That way, I'll be able to wear a beanie or balaclava, and not freeze an eyebrow off.
I'm hopeful that by moulding them to my ears, they are a bit more comfortable than the usual plugs.

Questions:-
Has anyone used them?
Or has anyone used other ear-plugs that they find good to use?
Or does anyone make a beanie with whacking big cutouts for muffs??
Jorlcrin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Hearing Protection for cold weather

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 May 2024, 4:30 pm

2305281.jpg
2305281.jpg (8.21 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Howard Leight make a balaclava style Polar Hood full neck protection, front zip, foldaway sun visor, specifically for use with ear muffs.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 May 2024, 8:44 pm

NRR of 30db, is actually a fairly low level of protection.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 21 May 2024, 12:54 pm

Try one of these...
Silencer-image-ATF-7.png
Silencer-image-ATF-7.png (601.37 KiB) Viewed 1355 times

Oh wait, i forgot... The Gov who so called looks after it's people actually couldn't give a stuff about us and instead we must resort to other methods of protection.

I've got a pair of the Decibelz, they're good but you have to mold them well which is time consuming and even then they warrant a perfect seal to function effectively.

The wax plugs from the chemist do a great job, seal well and are reusable and cheap, unsure of their protection rating.

Cant beat earmuffs IMO but they get in the way of things of course.
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 May 2024, 1:18 pm

Hey Mate, Will send u a PM tonite with details of a product that will solve all the questions/problems your asking about. Cheers
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
And,,,,It's been proven,,,,, the most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were all canines.
Whilst in most cases ignorance should be excused,,,,,,, stupididty simply cannot.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment