Looking for a New Sand Bag or Rest for off the Bench?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Looking for a New Sand Bag or Rest for off the Bench?

Post by TBJ » 18 Jul 2018, 3:22 pm

As the Title Suggests I'm looking for a New sand bag or maybe even a Rest for shooting off the bench, and also maybe for shooting foxes and rabbits, I had a cheapo set of Spika front and rear that I got for $55, but they were never tall enough and have started to fall apart. What do you guys recommend? I was looking at the Caldwell Tack Driver, What do you guys think of them? what are some of your other suggestions?

Also on a side note, wondering about getting some steel targets for shooting, maybe some spinners or gallery style targets for .22 and maybe .223 and also some gongs for bigger stuff out a bit further at 300 or 400m plus saves me having to walk out every time. also for the gongs what sort of frame do you guys use to hang them?

Thanks
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Looking for a New Sand Bag or Rest for off the Bench?

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jul 2018, 4:20 pm

TBJ wrote:As the Title Suggests I'm looking for a New sand bag or maybe even a Rest for shooting off the bench, and also maybe for shooting foxes and rabbits, I had a cheapo set of Spika front and rear that I got for $55, but they were never tall enough and have started to fall apart. What do you guys recommend? I was looking at the Caldwell Tack Driver, What do you guys think of them? what are some of your other suggestions?

Also on a side note, wondering about getting some steel targets for shooting, maybe some spinners or gallery style targets for .22 and maybe .223 and also some gongs for bigger stuff out a bit further at 300 or 400m plus saves me having to walk out every time. also for the gongs what sort of frame do you guys use to hang them?

Thanks

I just use a Caldwell rear bag on the bench, and just use my left hand under the butt in the field. I lay my left hand across my right bicep with the toe of the stock in the V of my thumb. Tiny muscle contractions are all that are required to adjust aim.

For gongs I have a five-foot length of 410UB that I stand on end for the rare occasions I want to shoot steel at longer distances, and a pile of half-size and fifth-size Silhouette targets. I prefer to recover my bullets though, which steel targets don't allow. I also have some of the .22LR flip-over re-settable targets that I've been using for practicing offhand. You hit the first one which flips up onto a rail, then shoot the next one, which knocks the first one down, and so on. I just set it up so the targets can flip around without worrying about getting caught.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 18 Jul 2018, 4:32 pm

I have seen the Caldwell and they are terrible once you have used a good rest. Have a look on the Q Store https://www.q-store.com.au/collections/ ... rests-bags at the SEB bags although ATM they are all sold out or at the Protector bag at Ammo Galore https://www.ammunitiongalore.com.au/ind ... tektor.php Both are so much more solid that the Caldwell. I have and use both the Seb is really good for a target rifle type stock and the Protector smaller more portable for other use. As for front Rest I use a bipod if you want a really stable bipod again have a look at the VRA store or Q store https://www.q-store.com.au/collections/ ... tick-bipod https://www.q-store.com.au/collections/ ... fset-bipod https://www.q-store.com.au/collections/ ... ass-bi-pod all much more mobile and easier to move than a good rest
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 18 Jul 2018, 7:55 pm

I use a caldwell tackdriver front bag...it lives permanently in the car sitting on the trans tunnel right behind the console in the back seat.
I have a little sock filled that sits with it also.
Can (and i do...!!) just pull it out & throw it over the bonnet for a fox or bunny.
Also pretty steady for off a bench.

There is a guy that sells them unfilled & posted to almost anywhere in AU for $30...just get one & fill it with rice. Cheap as & good to have if driving around & get that long shot on a fox.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 18 Jul 2018, 8:02 pm

I do the same as Stix. I've got a couple of long sox filled with rice that I use for rear bags or if I need a bit of extra height at the front as well.

I've got a collection of reactive targets for the 22, plus a 6" bisaloy gong, and a 9" flywheel I use for 22 wmr, Slugs and the 25-06. My boy prefers shooting drink cans full of water....
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jul 2018, 8:29 pm

Just make one - I just leave this one sitting up near the windshield as I drive around the paddocks, then it's just a matter of grabbing it and positioning it around the vehicle to suit, simples! Jean legs make great sandbags too, got quite a few of those floating around the joint too, cut it to the size you want, stitch one end up, fill it with sand and then stitch the other end up, I usually get the wife to stitch both end up on the sewing machine, leaving a bit of a hole in one end that will fit the neck of a coke bottle with the arse end cut out of it, I pour the sand through that like a funnel, then stitch it up by hand. :thumbsup:

A simple setup for shooting from the drivers side through the passenger window (gotta remember to poke the muzzle out the window or she gets a tad rowdy in the cab :lol:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 19 Jul 2018, 9:15 am

+1 for the jeans leg. Made a couple since seeing the tip on here a while back and they work a treat! :thumbsup: :drinks:

IMG_20180714_155504.jpg
IMG_20180714_155504.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 3972 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by southwest shooter » 19 Jul 2018, 10:20 am

Socks and rice , we use this setup to great affect in Syria .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 19 Jul 2018, 5:46 pm

Sungazer, wondering about those rests, they all seem to be rear bags, what about the front?

Cheers for the suggestions, when I wear out my current pair of work jeans I'll give the leg and sand idea a go, Sounds like I'll probably give the Caldwell a look next time I go to the LGS.

Also wondering about gongs, what sort of frame can you get? or build to hold the gong, I was thinking about something a little bit portable so I can take it to the range and also out to a mates properties with some sort of ease. What size gongs do you suggest for different ranges? also want to be able to shoot .22 up to .300WM or maybe even bigger? AR500? who makes good inexpensive ones?
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 19 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm

I think it was Superduke who had a gong hanging from a saw horse from the hammer shop. That is a great portable frame. I use star stakes as a more permanent frame and trees.
Have a look at STS targets they have all the information and targets. Also if you are just after some 120 mm gongs Sterk has them cheap.
The size of the gong is up to you to decide for the distance. Most gongs are 2 MOA or you can hang two a 2 and a 1 MOA gong then there are others that want a 4 or bigger MOA dicide what you want it for and how good a shot you want to register. Also think about missed shots it helps to know were they go so you can learn and adjust.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Rgo » 20 Jul 2018, 10:34 am

I did the jeans leg as well, couple of different sizes. I vacuum sealed the rice so it would'nt matter if they got damp.
Rgo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 20 Jul 2018, 11:00 am

One of the best things to pack the bags with is Sand Blasting sand. Can be bought at SCA.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Jul 2018, 12:26 pm

sungazer wrote:One of the best things to pack the bags with is Sand Blasting sand. Can be bought at SCA.

I just use sand from the sandpit across the road :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jul 2018, 9:32 pm

100_4807.JPG
100_4807.JPG (374.93 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You guys are spending waaaaaay too much hard earned cash.

This is my "Super Deluxe" rest.
It works a treat, lives on the bonnet, easily relocated, and if not the right height it's just a matter of rolling it over or squashing it a bit.

I've taken some pretty long shots using it, with really good results.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Griffo7.62 » 01 Aug 2018, 8:32 pm

Just got a tab gear rear bag. It comes prefilled with some kind of plastic shot, best one I've used
Griffo7.62
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment