Painting a rifle stock

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Painting a rifle stock

Post by Cal-ApeR » 07 Aug 2018, 1:46 pm

Hi all,

Looking at painting an ugly old plastic stock. The yanks seem to use "krylon paint". I can't seem to find any here.

Just wondering what you guys use for paint and your process? Wanting something to take knocks, I assume it would need sealing?

Any help is appreciated.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 181
Queensland

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2018, 6:18 pm

Just thinking about that myself. Most animals see very little colour so as my stock is black I reckon just need a few "patches/blotches" of tan or grey and I will have a fair Cammo effect.

But I don't know what to use either. I would have thought any oil based paint would do.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5306
Victoria

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by sungazer » 07 Aug 2018, 8:08 pm

I suppose it depends on what type of finish you are after. if its a strong smooth finish like a fiberglass type finish. I would paint it with a good undercoat and then a enamel paint. ideally it would be a two pack poly euro-thane but they are pretty pricey and not as easily touched up. For best results you would really need to spray paint the stock, (not canned stuff, but still better than brush I would think)
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1689
Other

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2018, 9:48 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Hi all,

Looking at painting an ugly old plastic stock. The yanks seem to use "krylon paint". I can't seem to find any here.

Just wondering what you guys use for paint and your process? Wanting something to take knocks, I assume it would need sealing?

Any help is appreciated.


I've painted plastic internal car trims.
Just use a flexible plastic primer and a flexible plastic paint.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5438
Victoria

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by Stix » 07 Aug 2018, 10:32 pm

Id go a flat matt paint if its a plastic stock.

If you want a camo finish use this...great stuff...!! :thumbsup:
2018-08-07 21.59.09.jpg
2018-08-07 21.59.09.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1080 times
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2402
South Australia

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by Cal-ApeR » 07 Aug 2018, 10:49 pm

Stix wrote:Id go a flat matt paint if its a plastic stock.

If you want a camo finish use this...great stuff...!! :thumbsup:
2018-08-07 21.59.09.jpg


This looks the go. Where did you pick this up? I guess a can of this will do and would easily touch up? Would you need to prime it with this stuff?

Any ideas for sealing it, if at all?
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 181
Queensland

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2018, 11:06 pm

Have considered simply wrapping the stock with the silicone bandages rather than painting it?
It's cheap, easy to take on and off to change the pattern and can be wrapped around the accessories as well, like the scope, bipod legs and sling. In a couple of minutes you can change your rifle from snow camo, to desert, to night, to jungle, woodland, etc.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Roll-Camo-Stretch-Bandage-Camping-Hunting-Camouflage-Tape-for-Gun-Cloths-new/311862195289
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5438
Victoria

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by Cal-ApeR » 08 Aug 2018, 7:13 pm

To be honest I haven't. Have you done it?
I guess it would feel ok. Anything has to be better then my current great coloured stock.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 181
Queensland

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Aug 2018, 7:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:Have considered simply wrapping the stock with the silicone bandages rather than painting it?
It's cheap, easy to take on and off to change the pattern and can be wrapped around the accessories as well, like the scope, bipod legs and sling. In a couple of minutes you can change your rifle from snow camo, to desert, to night, to jungle, woodland, etc.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Roll-Camo-Stretch-Bandage-Camping-Hunting-Camouflage-Tape-for-Gun-Cloths-new/311862195289


Got a roll on the way. Saw a roll of the same stuff at Aussie Disposals today at $8
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5306
Victoria

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2018, 8:31 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:To be honest I haven't. Have you done it?
I guess it would feel ok. Anything has to be better then my current great coloured stock.


Yep, got tons of the stuff - it's cheap :-)
Will likely last forever as it's not adhesive at all, just "sticky".
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5438
Victoria

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by Cal-ApeR » 08 Aug 2018, 9:06 pm

Cheers. Will check it out. I guess this way I can always remove it and paint it if I don't like the finish. Thanks for the idea.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 181
Queensland

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by marksman » 12 Aug 2018, 11:14 am

take advise from stix about the camo painting
he has done some unbelievable good work with camo paint
I'd recommend him :thumbsup:
User avatar
marksman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2047
Victoria

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2018, 12:09 pm

Tell us more about the cammo paint?
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5306
Victoria

Re: Painting a rifle stock

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2019, 9:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Have considered simply wrapping the stock with the silicone bandages rather than painting it?
It's cheap, easy to take on and off to change the pattern and can be wrapped around the accessories as well, like the scope, bipod legs and sling. In a couple of minutes you can change your rifle from snow camo, to desert, to night, to jungle, woodland, etc.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Roll-Camo-Stretch-Bandage-Camping-Hunting-Camouflage-Tape-for-Gun-Cloths-new/311862195289


Got a roll on the way. Saw a roll of the same stuff at Aussie Disposals today at $8


I have been using this for a while now. Looks great. The down side is any gun oil on it and it starts to disolve and goes all sticky.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 5306
Victoria


Back to top
 
Return to Shooting accessories and equipment