Compensator = muzzle brake?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Compensator = muzzle brake?

Post by kritch » 13 Jan 2014, 2:12 pm

Can someone confirm for me, is a muzzle brake and compensator the same thing?

People seem to refer to them slightly differently?

Same thing different language? Or slightly different thing?

If so, what?

Ta.
kritch
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Compensator = muzzle brake?

Post by yoshie » 13 Jan 2014, 8:18 pm

Ports, breaks, compensator all the same thing. There are different designs but they all do the same thing.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Norton » 13 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm

Same thing, different title.

Muzzle brake or recoil compensator depending on your preference.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hucka » 13 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm

Brakes will often diffuse the muzzle flash too, so they become a "compensator/flash hider" if the maker wants to market it as something more too.
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by TAC21_308 » 12 Mar 2014, 11:49 pm

Well I'm not convinced. Lol. Ive just had a look through the last ssaa mag and found an add with the same manufacturer listing Muzzle break, compensator and flash suppressor. Now I'm a fitter and turner. No expert but right into choosing the right one for my TAC21. If you google images for them you eventually will find a sketch which shows the expected blast/ gas paths and reflected blast/ gas patterns. There is a lot to it when you look at it in a 3d perspective look at a round one and consider paths, then compare that to another, and a rectangular one. Forces will be very different. What percentage is sacrificed to reduce recoil, muzzle lift, flash redirection etc. I'm hoping to shoot 1000m into 1' square. So getting it right is essential.
My mates .338 lap mag clears such a big area under the barrel we now shoot it off another 3m ground mat to keep dust down.
.308 TAC21, .44 magnum, 22-250, 12G u/o, 12g bolt, .177 dynamax, .177, .177, .22, 30/30 nowhere for vermin to hide....
TAC21_308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by meek » 13 Mar 2014, 7:47 am

I haaate shooting in the dust.

Not even with a braked rifle, when it's that fine dust... Only takes a couple of shots and your gear is filthy and your just as bad :lol:
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TAC21_308 » 11 May 2014, 12:03 pm

Well my research has ended,, not due to terminology resolution but due to having found what appears to be the best choice for me. Have a look at the terminator T3! Movie on YouTube "5 muzzle breaks compared to T3"
.308 TAC21, .44 magnum, 22-250, 12G u/o, 12g bolt, .177 dynamax, .177, .177, .22, 30/30 nowhere for vermin to hide....
TAC21_308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Hucka » 13 May 2014, 3:49 pm

Got it yet? Shot it?

Or waiting for delivery?
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by jastreb » 04 Jul 2014, 2:43 pm

TAC21_308 wrote:Well my research has ended,, not due to terminology resolution but due to having found what appears to be the best choice for me. Have a look at the terminator T3! Movie on YouTube "5 muzzle breaks compared to T3"

Wow, that's impressive to watch.

For those that haven't seen it here is direct link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PKOEy54NrI
Steyr Pro Varmint .243 [Burris Eliminator III 4-16x50]
Tikka T3 Super Varmint [Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP]
Anschutz 1712 FWT .22 [Tasco 6-24 x44 Target]
Diana Mod54 AirKing .177 [Tasco 3-9 x50]
jastreb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 07 Jul 2014, 8:57 am

Monster brake in the middle there...
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TAC21_308 » 17 Dec 2014, 12:15 am

Yeah it's fitted now. Sorry I missed these other posts. It's definatly ear protection must be worn!!!! But now shoots like a .222
TAC21_308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tiiger » 17 Dec 2014, 2:36 pm

They work, there is no argument about that.

Whether or not your ears can stand the cost though is a real problem.

Lots of guys would rather have the recoil.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TAC21_308 » 19 Dec 2014, 12:36 am

Yeah I made the mistake of shooting it twice without any ear protection. My ears rang for about 2 weeks!!!!! Recently I was out pigging and forgot my ears. Let's say that even though I was out in the open. I just stood and watched that pig run, and run, and run,,,,,then went to my dogs on another.
TAC21_308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2014, 6:18 am

Compensators are generally used on pistols where gas is ported up, the reason is to "Compensate" for muzzle jump. Brakes are ported to the sides and are desigend to vent gas rearwards to "Brake" the recoil while flash suppressors vent in all directions. Many designs are out there but the best I've come accross is he massive clamshell style one on my Steyr HS50 M1. Makes the 50 feel like a 22-250, actually kicks less then my mates Rugar 308.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by teedo » 19 Dec 2014, 1:11 pm

brett1868 wrote:while flash suppressors vent in all directions.

They vent... but they do nothing for recoil right?

Just about the burning flash?
teedo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 19 Dec 2014, 4:39 pm

teedo wrote:

No, the whole idea is to redirect the gases to counteract the recoil. All different designs but they do the same thing. Some counteract muzzle jump, others overall recoil. Their trade off is that gas gets redirected back towards the shooter and they appear louder.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2014, 5:49 pm

teedo wrote:

Correct...they do nothing to reduce recoil as there's no angular plates in them to redirect gas rewards. If there's anything there to redirect gas then technically it's a brake. Brakes & Compensators will also limit flash though a purpose built flash suppressor won't reduce recoil.

Below is a great article that answers your question perfectly, with pictures and videos.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/foghorn/ask-foghorn-whats-the-difference-between-a-muzzle-brake-a-compensator-and-a-flash-hider/
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2014, 6:02 pm

yoshie wrote:Ports, breaks, compensator all the same thing. There are different designs but they all do the same thing.

Yoshi...Read the article in my other post mate as they are definitely not all the same, each has a specific purpose hence the different names. A classic example of a compensator can be seen in "The Punisher" movie. Pistols mainly use compensators as they suffer most from muzzle jump due to the geometry of the barrel / grip and enable the shooter to maintain sight on target much better during rapid fire although the Desert Eagle 50 Cal pistol is fitted with a brake.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 21 Dec 2014, 7:03 am

Off topic...

At my local 22 range pretty much everyone's shooting sub-sonics and there is a bit of space between each shooter so it's relatively quiet. No need for ear muffs (IMO) and no one wears them.

There is this one f***ing guy though who has some tacticool .22 who shoots hi-velocity ammo with a compensator that I'm pretty sure was designed solely to create an ear splitting crack and wreck the ears of anyone with in 20 metres.

All conversation is killed when he turns up because the hearing protection has to go on.

I fkn hate 'em! :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment