best field dressing knife

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

best field dressing knife

Post by bigrich » 03 Oct 2018, 9:22 pm

hi all, i've got a "cudeman" hunter knife with a 4" blade, which is okay if ya keep touching it up with a sharpener. so i'm looking for a better knife and wondering what you guys might recommend. gerber, buck , victoronix commercial knives. intended use is feild dressing rabbits, goats and deer. opinions ? :unknown: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: best field dressing knife

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Oct 2018, 10:22 pm

I have been using some inexpensive Swedish knives, because I have lost some expensive ones while hunting. Morakniv knives have been excellent and I now have several. Highly recommended.
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Oct 2018, 12:06 am

I know it's not a traditional field type knife but this Cold Steel Scimitar Spike is my favourite.
It holds an edge well.
Attachments
20181003_235149.jpg
20181003_235149.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 1117 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 04 Oct 2018, 4:36 am

Anything made by the Swedes is normally very good and a cold steel hunter made my short list as well. Keep those recommendations coming fellas :thumbsup:
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sus_scrofa » 04 Oct 2018, 6:54 am

Cold steel
Master hunter plus
20181004_065421.jpg
20181004_065421.jpg (172.07 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

I got mine from these guys.
https://nyati.com.au/collections/knives ... unter-plus
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Oct 2018, 7:19 am

I just use a butchers boning knife, cost around $20 and works a treat and farrking sharp son of a bitch it is too and keeps a great edge.
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by deanp100 » 04 Oct 2018, 8:04 am

There is nothing wrong with using a steel constantly while using it. In fact it is how it should be. People talk about how there knives hold an edge for an entire carcass and it might but it will have a better edge with constant steeling. A few strokes every few cuts is the go. The best knifes, looks aside are butchers boners and skinners.
deanp100
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 04 Oct 2018, 8:17 am

$35 from the local markets five years ago.
:thumbsup: :drinks:

IMG_20181004_080713.jpg
IMG_20181004_080713.jpg (475.21 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

A quick pass with a steel and they're good to go :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 04 Oct 2018, 8:27 am

I use Victorinox knives they're about the best for butchering all my boning ,skinning and slicing knives are Victorinox
another good older brand is Green River both these brands make various sizes and shapes which most likely would be good for
hunting purposes normally they are for the butchering trade
grandadbushy
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Oct 2018, 10:24 am

I've given up carrying the old Bowie - too flaming heavy and now just got a small folder and a boning knife.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Oct 2018, 5:31 pm

yeh well, you've given me a bit to think about guys, i might just get in the habit of giving the knife i already have a regular touch up with the steel when it;s being used. also i might go see a mate for some of his old cast offs, he's a butcher ........ ;) :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Oct 2018, 5:39 pm

i just remembered when i went to buy my knife i've already got, i asked the fella behind the counter for a general purpose feild knife, he handed me a 12" blade bowie ;) . i looked at him and told him i wasn't a buffalo hunter. :lol: "but this is what all the guys want !" .i ended up buying the 4" blade hunter instead. i don't shop there anymore.... :thumbsup: don't get me wrong but , bowies have their applications :thumbsup:
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 04 Oct 2018, 6:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I just use a butchers boning knife, cost around $20 and works a treat and farrking sharp son of a bitch it is too and keeps a great edge.

Yep, angled boning knife makes easy work where most hunting knives can struggle. You'll need to make some kind of sheath for it which is wasy enough

Chronos
.177 pellets through to .416 Ruger
Chronos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 04 Oct 2018, 7:09 pm

Get a good smooth steel and hang it around your waist on a chain and use it every couple of minutes . Every time you pause give the knife a couple of strokes each side.. the knife will appreciate it . I don’t judge a knife on how long it will last without sharpening , rather how quickly it comes back under a steel.
And Bowie knives have no purpose unless you are fighting Mexicans .
deanp100
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Oct 2018, 7:22 pm

deanp100 wrote:Get a good smooth steel and hang it around your waist on a chain and use it every couple of minutes . Every time you pause give the knife a couple of strokes each side.. the knife will appreciate it . I don’t judge a knife on how long it will last without sharpening , rather how quickly it comes back under a steel.
And Bowie knives have no purpose unless you are fighting Mexicans .

Yep, let that fine edge bend right over without correction and you're giving yourself work you don't need. I put give my old 1940's vintage dinner knife a few of strokes on the steel every couple of meals. It's getting thin after 30+ years but it still works like new every time.

You only have to watch a butcher at work, they cut a bit, steel, cut a bit, steel. They know.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 04 Oct 2018, 7:34 pm

If you aren’t cutting you should be steeling.
deanp100
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Oct 2018, 7:51 pm

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I just use a butchers boning knife, cost around $20 and works a treat and farrking sharp son of a bitch it is too and keeps a great edge.

Yep, angled boning knife makes easy work where most hunting knives can struggle. You'll need to make some kind of sheath for it which is wasy enough

Chronos

A bit of PVC pipe does the job fine. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Oct 2018, 8:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos

A bit of PVC pipe does the job fine. :thumbsup:

Go on.

You have me intrigued Scott, more info please.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment