One scope , two rifles.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

One scope , two rifles.

Post by Zappa » 15 Dec 2018, 2:42 pm

I only have one scope that i need to share between a 223 howa 1500 and a cz455 for the time being. I would like the groups opinion on what mounts i need ?
The scope i have is a Bushnell 4.5 x 18 x 40 with a 25mm tube. Ive mounted a PIC rail on the Howa and the CZ has its own dovetail on its receiver. If i need to remove the PIC on the howa and replace it with something else, i dont have an issue with that.

I would like to permanently have the rings clamped to the scope as to not disturb it too much.
The thing that sticks out is those cantilever type quick release rings but Ive read ppl dont like them. Too flimsy.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: One scope , two rifles.

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2018, 3:31 pm

Zappa wrote:I only have one scope that i need to share between a 223 howa 1500 and a cz455 for the time being. I would like the groups opinion on what mounts i need ?
The scope i have is a Bushnell 4.5 x 18 x 40 with a 25mm tube. Ive mounted a PIC rail on the Howa and the CZ has its own dovetail on its receiver. If i need to remove the PIC on the howa and replace it with something else, i dont have an issue with that.

I would like to permanently have the rings clamped to the scope as to not disturb it too much.
The thing that sticks out is those cantilever type quick release rings but Ive read ppl dont like them. Too flimsy.

I have swapped scopes as I mount scopes during load development on rifles I don't generally shoot scoped.
I prefer QD pic rail mounts on a single rail, not two separate mounts. If you have two separate mounts I would loosen one ring, tighten the base screws, and then tighten the ring to ensure you aren't twisting or bending the scope, or simply buy a one-piece rail. Make sure your rails have slots that match otherwise you'll have to move a ring anyway.
You can get pic rails to fit onto dovetails.
I also prefer to buy the 30mm rings with inserts just because I like options, and I have a 30mm scope I occasionally use. The inserts also give you the option of being able to machine offset inserts to build cant into the scope if you wanted to.

You can try noting the turret positions to zero on each rifle, but I don't bother. I just boresight, and fire a group to zero, then take a photo of the turret positions for reference.

Frankly, the AR Optics 4.5-18x40 is cheap enough currently, I would just buy several of them and spend more time shooting than swapping scopes ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2018, 3:37 pm

Zappa wrote:The thing that sticks out is those cantilever type quick release rings but Ive read ppl dont like them. Too flimsy.

I can't think of this cantilever type QD flimsy ring you mentioned.

Mine are cheap Chinese ones similar to this.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Release-QD-30mm-25-4mm-Scope-Ring-Mount-Adapter-fit-20mm-Picatinny-Rail/181971374172
I use them on lots of different rifles and am constantly removing them with no problems whatsoever. The separate base is also useful for making other things you want to hang off a pic rail, like brass catchers. I buy these things in bulk and have a stack of wall-mounted bins full of rail and scope accessories as I'm always messing about with them :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 15 Dec 2018, 8:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Zappa wrote:The thing that sticks out is those cantilever type quick release rings but Ive read ppl dont like them. Too flimsy.

I can't think of this cantilever type QD flimsy ring you mentioned.

Mine are cheap Chinese ones similar to this.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Release-QD-30mm-25-4mm-Scope-Ring-Mount-Adapter-fit-20mm-Picatinny-Rail/181971374172
I use them on lots of different rifles

The ones you've linked are the ones I was told to avoid.
Given you're using them and can vouch for them , I might consider them.

Just need to find a real aussie ebayer that sells them and can get them to me before xmas.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2018, 6:00 pm

Zappa wrote:The ones you've linked are the ones I was told to avoid.
Given you're using them and can vouch for them , I might consider them.

Just need to find a real aussie ebayer that sells them and can get them to me before xmas.

They're cheap enough that they're probably worth trying.
You would also need a dovetail-pic rail as well. Is the rifle drilled and tapped to allow a rail?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 16 Dec 2018, 6:44 pm

bladeracer wrote: Is the rifle drilled and tapped to allow a rail?

The cz has a dovetail integrated on top of the receiver. 11mm I've measured.

So the pic rail should theoretically clamp on top of the dovetail. A PIC rail with those QD rings would be the way to go until my favourite Bushnell rimfire scope comes back on sale.

Then each rifle can have their own scope.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2018, 7:02 pm

Zappa wrote:
bladeracer wrote: Is the rifle drilled and tapped to allow a rail?

The cz has a dovetail integrated on top of the receiver. 11mm I've measured.

So the pic rail should theoretically clamp on top of the dovetail. A PIC rail with those QD rings would be the way to go until my favourite Bushnell rimfire scope comes back on sale.

Then each rifle can have their own scope.

There are a few different ways of putting a pic rail onto the dovetail, either one-piece or two-piece rails.

Actually, a quick Google finds a rail specifically for it that simply slides into the dovetail.
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156323
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 16 Dec 2018, 7:10 pm

Nice. I like that a lot. Doesn't interfere with the ejection port and I like the leveling feature with the two additional set screws.
Hmmm
Probably cost about $90 aus shipped
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2018, 7:22 pm

Zappa wrote:Nice. I like that a lot. Doesn't interfere with the ejection port and I like the leveling feature with the two additional set screws.
Hmmm
Probably cost about $90 aus shipped

Yep, proprietary rails are expensive, I have some EGW rails for my Rugers.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 16 Dec 2018, 7:23 pm

I have an Area419 rail on my CZ 455; bought it through Delta Tactical.
Single-piece, and slides onto the dovetail, and then has 4 cross-boltss to clamp it there.

Mine is a 15MOA rail; pretty sure they do a 25MOA as well.

It has a spirit level at the back, which is not much use for me.
But the rail is nicely made and finished.

Medium-height rings seem to be plenty to allow my Vortex Crossfire II 4-16x50 to hang off the end of it.

I did it to go the other way; mount either the Vortex or my NV scope onto the CZ, as the NV scope has integrated Picatinny mounts.
Pretty happy with the setup.
I've tested out the Vortex extensively on the new setup, and when I miss, it's because of the idiot behind the trigger...
Havent shot anything with the NV scope yet, but I saw ANOTHER ginger ninja (rabbit) this morning, so I'm wondering if a night session mightnt be on the cards.
Elder brother (Navy) is arriving for a couple of days soon, and he's had a blood-feud running with the Ginger Ninja gang for over 5 years, so I'm sure He's IN...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 18 Dec 2018, 1:20 am

Mate I’d be saving up and getting another scope.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 18 Dec 2018, 6:20 am

JimTom wrote:Mate I’d be saving up and getting another scope.

Where's the fun in that ???

If Ive been good this year, the fat man with the long grey beard might slot something under the chrissie tree. :unknown:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 18 Dec 2018, 10:34 am

Zappa wrote:
JimTom wrote:Mate I’d be saving up and getting another scope.

Where's the fun in that ???

If Ive been good this year, the fat man with the long grey beard might slot something under the chrissie tree. :unknown:

One can only hope mate. Let us know how you go.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment