Ruger Scout Magazines.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Ruger Scout Magazines.

Post by CAVEMAN » 07 Jan 2019, 2:06 pm

Afternoon all

I thought i would put together a quick comparison of the three magazine i have for the Ruger Scout, in case anyone is looking for the options.

The magazines i own are the Ruger steel mag, Ruger polymer mag and the Magpul P-mag 579. These are all 10 round magazines but the length and weight of all three differ a bit. With regards to fit to rifle the steel moves the most followed by the P-mag in the middle and the Ruger polymer mag with the snuggest fit.

For ease of use both the Ruger polymer and P-mag can be top loaded in the rifle or out, whereas the steel magazine takes manipulation to load from the front only. The P-mag feeds reliably and the Ruger polymer i cannot comment on at this point in time as i am yet to live test it. The steel mag feeds reliably, but it is difficult to load and significantly heavier.

The weights are

Ruger steel mag 248g
P-mag 579 124g
Ruger polymer 94g
Attachments
Magazines side.jpg
Magazines side.jpg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Pmag in rifle.jpg
Pmag in rifle.jpg (221.11 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Ruger polymer in rifle.jpg
Ruger polymer in rifle.jpg (239.59 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Ruger steel in rifle.jpg
Ruger steel in rifle.jpg (212.23 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Magazine spines.jpg
Magazine spines.jpg (39.13 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Last edited by CAVEMAN on 07 Jan 2019, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Ruger Scout Magazines.

Post by marksman » 07 Jan 2019, 2:18 pm

good info :thumbsup:

looks like your set up for pigs :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by CAVEMAN » 07 Jan 2019, 3:05 pm

It's a pretty nice little setup, but at the moment its just punching holes in targets till I find a property.

The scout scope is far more accurate than I was expecting.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Jan 2019, 5:15 am

Just a word of caution...
[Though it looks like you might be saved this grief...]

My Ruger Precision Rifle (.308) was supplied with the MagPul P-Mags, as they were struggling to supply genuine Ruger P-Mags.
[Yours look to be the genuine Ruger P-Mag, though it looks to have been manufactured by MagPul...]
Within 3 months, both of the Ruger-supplied MagPul mags were pretty much unusable, if I wanted to load the full 10 rounds into them.
It seems that the area at the top of the mag had been badly designed, and so the pressure of a full mag deformed the top of the mag, and caused it to spread out enough to have the lips start fouling the bolt.
Over time, it got really hard to pull the bolt back.
[Initially, and given the rifle was brand-new, I assumed I hadnt greased the bolt-race correctly, but when a mate was looking at the rifle, we came to realise it was all about the mag deforming..]
In that last photo of yours, I can see that your Ruger P-Mag doesnt have the same top to the mag as the MagPul version(yours look very similar to the much-stronger design of the MDT P-Mags), so hopefully you dont encounter the same problem. They mightnt be quite as easy to load, but at least they'll likely last the distance.

All of my AICS mags ( 5 and 10-round), and both my MDT P-mags, work just fine, and have done so for over 12 months since I bought the Ruger Precision. My MDT P-mags spend most of their time loaded, and they still work as well as day 1.

My LGS sent the mags back to Ruger, whom announced they would need the gun back to rectify the issue.
Given I can see the tops of the Magpul mags are deformed due to simply being too weak in that area, I'm at a loss to see how the issue can be in the rifle.
I asked the LGS to suggest to Ruger that they 'Have sex & Travel' (Phuk Off), as the stuffing around to send this rifle from Outback QLD down to Sydney/Melbourne to rectify what was obviously a poor mag design, was too stupid to consider.
The defective mags were returned, and it seems that Ruger have washed their hands of me....
I have the 2 MDT mags, 2 metal 10-round AICS mags, and 2 metal 5-round AICS mags, and they all work perfectly, so I'll just put that down to outstanding service from Ruger, and 'move on!'.....

See attached for differences between the MagPul mag(on left), and the MDT mags (on right).

Back about 8-10 years ago, Desert Channels QLD used a number of this same rifle, to nail many thousands of pigs from helicopters; down in the channel country.
I think they wore the barrel on the first rifle out; not sure how many rifles they went through in total...
They were shooting them from a helicopter, and I wish to god I get the call to do that job.....sigh.

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
20190108_043522 (2).JPG
20190108_043522 (2).JPG (263.73 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 08 Jan 2019, 8:00 am

I think that's the ar10 style mag to not an aics mag. I was reading into this myself and found people were having drama with that mag. I didn't even think they would work in a scout or precision.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 08 Jan 2019, 8:49 am

From the Ruger website.

"Patented multi-magazine interface functions interchangeably with AICS and M110/SR-25/DPMS/Magpul-style magazines (works with some M14 magazines)."

So what they gave you there was the M110/SR-25/AR10. Whereas the one for the my scout and your MDT is an actual AICS pattern. Quite intriguing that it is meant to function with two up to three vastly different styles of magazine, considering AICS is designed for bolt and the one you received is primarily for semi auto use. That might explain its failings in the application.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Jan 2019, 9:00 am

The RPR has a neat little mag latching system, where it will take the AI- style mags, as well as the AR-10 mags.

Mag on the right is the MDT AI-style poly mag that I bought for my MDT TAC-21 chassis system that I have my Rem 700 in.

Mag on the left is the one supplied with the RPR; supposed to be an AR-style mag.

The dual-mag latching system was one of the decisions to go with the RPR, over a Tikka TAC A1.
I love my Tikka T3 in 7mm-08, but I dont regret the choice of the RPR.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment