Suitable fillers for range shooting bags ?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Suitable fillers for range shooting bags ?

Post by No1_49er » 21 Jan 2019, 7:21 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
No1_49er wrote:Zircon sand is the stuff you'll be looking for.
Read about it here: - http://www.6mmbr.com/sandcomparison.html

Where did you find your Zircon sand in Australia?

Bought mine a looooong time ago, before moving to Aus. From memory, it was that heavy stuff used for grit/sand blasting.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2019, 8:50 pm

I just use sand from the sandpit across the road in the park, I like my bags with a bit of weight to em as I leave em sitting on the bonnet when driving around the paddocks when spotlighting or whistling.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jan 2019, 8:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying split peas from the supermarket. If it does not work I can make dinner with it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 22 Jan 2019, 9:06 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying split peas from the supermarket. If it does not work I can make dinner with it

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice one mate. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jan 2019, 10:08 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying split peas from the supermarket. If it does not work I can make dinner with it

Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by No1_49er » 22 Jan 2019, 10:17 pm

I see that you're in Qld. There's a reason for using sand, or some other inert material. Which is why the Zircon sand is preferred, because of its higher density. Heavier for the same volume.
But, you do know what moisture (humidity) and split peas, or rice or other pulses do when you cook them. Don't you?
There's usually a bit of expansion involved, and they're inclined to be a bit squishy. Best you make sure that they remain very dry.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jan 2019, 7:02 am

No1_49er wrote:

I see that you're in Qld. There's a reason for using sand, or some other inert material. Which is why the Zircon sand is preferred, because of its higher density. Heavier for the same volume.
But, you do know what moisture (humidity) and split peas, or rice or other pulses do when you cook them. Don't you?
There's usually a bit of expansion involved, and they're inclined to be a bit squishy. Best you make sure that they remain very dry.

Put'em in a large sandwich bag before putting in the main bag! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jan 2019, 12:45 pm

Good point re moisture. Might blow my bags apart
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment