M License

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

M License

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Feb 2019, 9:53 pm

I'm going to do the course for my M License tomorrow morning (23/02/19)

Hopefully I'll jump through all the hoops successfully,,, :thumbsup: :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: M License

Post by Gaznazdiak » 22 Feb 2019, 10:06 pm

WTF is an M license?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 22 Feb 2019, 10:11 pm

Crossbow?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 22 Feb 2019, 10:19 pm

No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 22 Feb 2019, 11:34 pm

Gonna start to collect exotic knives DJ???
:D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2019, 1:55 pm

Nah Mate,,,,,, but I do have to find a good supply of nice apples and a "trusting" wench. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Feb 2019, 2:57 pm

I have my M licence have had it for the last 12 months i haven't done anything with it. The size of any crossbows available today means that you would need roughly a 16 gun Gun safe to store the thing Asset have finally opened a range at north lakes (only one in brisbane) oh and on top of that every archery club that i spoke to in regards to sighting in wont allow you to shoot a crossbow on the grounds that they are too "dangerous". I only do probably 4 farm trips a year and almost everything there is skittish, practicality wise i think they are a house brick amongst knives.

I too when I went for my M licence was keen as but the more i looked into it the more it seems like a waste of time.

Not to sound like a buzz kill just my 2 cents
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2019, 4:34 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I have my M licence have had it for the last 12 months i haven't done anything with it. The size of any crossbows available today means that you would need roughly a 16 gun Gun safe to store the thing Asset have finally opened a range at north lakes (only one in brisbane) oh and on top of that every archery club that i spoke to in regards to sighting in wont allow you to shoot a crossbow on the grounds that they are too "dangerous". I only do probably 4 farm trips a year and almost everything there is skittish, practicality wise i think they are a house brick amongst knives.

I too when I went for my M licence was keen as but the more i looked into it the more it seems like a waste of time.

Not to sound like a buzz kill just my 2 cents

I haven't owned a crossbow, but I'd just assumed you break it down for storage? That'd be a pain in the arse to store assembled.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm

Thanks for that No149er, that would mean that the pocket knife I'm never without, that has a thumb stud for opening is illegal then without a special permit.
What a bloody nonsense as though it's going to be any more dangerous if it's opened with one hand FFS.
Nanny strikes again :roll:
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Feb 2019, 8:30 pm

Yep, passed the test, now just a wait for the beaurocracy wheels to start/finish turning.

Yes Azza, I agree with what ya sayin Mate,,,, not only that but, a .30 cal (for example) rifle is much cheaper to feed as well.
However, the cross bow does have a place, and will come in handy for what I've got in mind albeit not all that often.
If you've got a farm Mate, you don't have to bother the rifle range dudes for sighting in anyway.

Alas, sigh, :thumbsdown: ( :sarcasm: ) I will have to build another safe. Now I wonder what else I might have to get to be able to make use of all that space. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 24 Feb 2019, 7:12 am

Die Judicii wrote:Nah Mate,,,,,, but I do have to find a good supply of nice apples and a "trusting" wench. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

Do ya have to store a CB in a safe? :unknown:
I thought it was a case of "restrict access for unauthorized persons" ie lockable cupboard or room and maybe a trigger lock??, :unknown:
I've never really looked at the regs for cat m :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Feb 2019, 10:03 am

Daddybang wrote:

Do ya have to store a CB in a safe? :unknown: :

Yeah Mate,, apparently so.
Same as an ordinary firearm, so I was told.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 24 Feb 2019, 10:17 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Daddybang wrote:

Do ya have to store a CB in a safe? :unknown: :

Yeah Mate,, apparently so.
Same as an ordinary firearm, so I was told.

From Weapons Regulations

Part 25 Restricted items
142 Storage measures and other precautions about access to restricted items
(1) A person who possesses a restricted item must, when the item is not in the person’s physical possession, store it in a locked container.
Maximum penalty—10 penalty units.
(2) A person who possesses a restricted item must take reasonable precautions to ensure the item is not accessible to persons who are not lawfully entitled to possess the item.
Maximum penalty—10 penalty units.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Feb 2019, 10:52 am

I just re-read that pdf you linked No149er, at tthe bottom of the list of nefarious weapons is a list of recognized astronomical organizations.
WTF is that about I wonder.
I can be slow on the uptake sometimes, but that one eludes me completely.
Gummint moves in mysterious ways their blunders to achieve, huh.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 24 Feb 2019, 11:14 am

Gaz, strange as it may seem, some laser pointing devices are forbidden unless being used by a member of those Astronomical Organisations to indicate a celestial body.
I think that 5mW is the maximum power for general over the counter stuff, but these "celestial pointers" (usually green light) can exceed 10W.
Do an eBay search and you'll find endless varieties.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Feb 2019, 12:06 pm

No1_49er wrote:Gaz, strange as it may seem, some laser pointing devices are forbidden unless being used by a member of those Astronomical Organisations to indicate a celestial body.
I think that 5mW is the maximum power for general over the counter stuff, but these "celestial pointers" (usually green light) can exceed 10W.
Do an eBay search and you'll find endless varieties.

Aha!
There you go then, thanks mate :thumbsup:
As a former amateur star gazer, I have one myself. A ball tearing 250mW 532nm jobby, cost me $22.
I got mine before the d!ckheads started pointing them at planes etc, and got them banned.
Of course there were people posting instructions for modifications so they can actually light a match with them.

Seems no matter what we invent there will be a fvckwit out there to misuse it and spoil things for everyone.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 24 Feb 2019, 12:24 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Seems no matter what we invent there will be a fvckwit out there to misuse it and spoil things for everyone.

Yep usually by posting on the net!!!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 24 Feb 2019, 12:40 pm

Check Qld Weapons Act, section 67. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... W2RqSW6EbN
Be very careful with what you say you have, and what is permitted. Less than 20mW.
Just saying.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 24 Feb 2019, 1:06 pm

No1_49er wrote:Check Qld Weapons Act, section 67. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... W2RqSW6EbN
Be very careful with what you say you have, and what is permitted. Less than 20mW.
Just saying.

Did I say "have"?

Bloody auto-complete, I meant had, I lost it :oops:
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Runnymede » 25 Feb 2019, 2:40 pm

Have to admit it sounds like a hassle and all too hard. I have compound bows and the arrow velocity isn’t that much slower than a cross bow these days and as they are not a restricted item (yet anyway) they remain propped up in my study, each with a full quiver of hunting arrows ready to go. No secure storage requirements needed. I’m guessing the M license is just another way for the government to extort more money from us.....but then perhaps I’m just being cynical again....
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Feb 2019, 7:37 pm

I owned a few cross bows before they became restricted.
I never had a really expensive or top end cross - but I really fail to understand how / why they are deemed more dangerous than a compound bow??
I have a 65lb bow that I can cycle 3 times faster than a cross, is quieter than a cross, is arguably more accurate than a cross - power wise? Not sure but would be close...just seems a little strange to me.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Feb 2019, 7:53 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I owned a few cross bows before they became restricted.
I never had a really expensive or top end cross - but I really fail to understand how / why they are deemed more dangerous than a compound bow??
I have a 65lb bow that I can cycle 3 times faster than a cross, is quieter than a cross, is arguably more accurate than a cross - power wise? Not sure but would be close...just seems a little strange to me.

Totally off topic, apologies DJ, but how did you go with your astronomical telescope Tas?
Did you find anything suitable?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Feb 2019, 1:59 pm

Hi Gaz - I’ve booked in for a night with local astronomy club in April. They are holding the night at the Mt Pleasant radio telescope observatory - so will check a few out that night and decide which way to go. Cheers.

Back on subject .... BLAUCH!!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Dabi » 02 Apr 2019, 10:58 am

Anyone know how to get one in Vic? And does it only crossbows, or does it cover every other controlled weapons there is listed?
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment