Successful Crow Caller ?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Successful Crow Caller ?

Post by grandadbushy » 02 Mar 2019, 3:07 am

G'day Kaid mate we all on here know that you are entitled to your opinion but i don't think that you are fully aware of how much money a crow can cost a farmer
and for you to say we should get our sh?t together proves you don't
Mate i'm 64 and 90 percent of my life i have shot ferals and pests ie dogs,camels, pigs,donkeys,wild scrubbers the list goes on and i have never had a farmer
ask me not to shoot a crow. These crows as was said previous will eat the eyes out of baby sheep, cattle , horses, pigs you name it and it's not only the young its
anything they will kill your chooks i have actually had a stock horse i was breaking in tied to a rail a crow swooped down and sat on the horses head lent over and pecked the horse in the eye i never finished breaking that horse and it lost the sight of the damaged eye
Now days i mainly shoot wild dogs wild scrubbers and pigs, now you say crows clean up the dead carcasses for the farmer but so do wild dogs and pigs far more than
the crow so are we to leave them and not shoot them as well as the crow ?
Mate before using strong talk like ''get your sh?t together" i'd get a little more back ground on the matter or risk a back lash from people on this forum that have spent all their lives on the land and delt with these pests and have far more insight into the issue than you do
Cheers mate
grandadbushy
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Mar 2019, 5:45 am

grandadbushy wrote:G'day Kaid mate we all on here know that you are entitled to your opinion but i don't think that you are fully aware of how much money a crow can cost a farmer
and for you to say we should get our sh?t together proves you don't
Mate i'm 64 and 90 percent of my life i have shot ferals and pests ie dogs,camels, pigs,donkeys,wild scrubbers the list goes on and i have never had a farmer
ask me not to shoot a crow. These crows as was said previous will eat the eyes out of baby sheep, cattle , horses, pigs you name it and it's not only the young its
anything they will kill your chooks i have actually had a stock horse i was breaking in tied to a rail a crow swooped down and sat on the horses head lent over and pecked the horse in the eye i never finished breaking that horse and it lost the sight of the damaged eye
Now days i mainly shoot wild dogs wild scrubbers and pigs, now you say crows clean up the dead carcasses for the farmer but so do wild dogs and pigs far more than
the crow so are we to leave them and not shoot them as well as the crow ?
Mate before using strong talk like ''get your sh?t together" i'd get a little more back ground on the matter or risk a back lash from people on this forum that have spent all their lives on the land and delt with these pests and have far more insight into the issue than you do
Cheers mate

Nicely put GDB :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Mar 2019, 12:32 pm

:thumbsup: Grand Dad.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Mar 2019, 1:15 pm

Die Judicii wrote:WTF,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not really sure about anything.
Is that what yer sayin ?
:lol:

No DJ...i just answered your questions in order of you asking them...

Here, look again...

Stix wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
Stix wrote:Well i mustve had my head in a bucket on farms throughout my life...

.never seen one on the back of a sheep either...& ive seen a few sheep...!!

Ah well...ill be on the look out now...!!

Really ???,,,,,,,,,,,, :shock: :shock: Yes...Really...As i said, i have not seen a crow do this...im sure im not the only one...many people have seen a fox & know they sleep & raise young from a den, but have not actually seen a fox come out of said den...

What the :wtf: ???:... ... :unknown: (otherwise translated to--dunno what this "WTF" is about...?!!?)

Are you a Kiwi in disguise ???? :unknown:...No...

Yes...

:unknown:

No...

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Mar 2019, 3:32 pm

sungazer wrote:You certainly have to be sure that it is a crow and not a carrawong which have a small stripe of white along the bottom of their tails. They are protected.

We have both here on the farm, very different personalities.
Crows/ravens are protected in most places these days as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Mar 2019, 6:27 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Stix,,,,,,,,,,, I was only yanking yer chain young fellah.
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Mar 2019, 6:33 pm

WTF...Young...?

Please convince my knees & liver of that...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by grandadbushy » 03 Mar 2019, 12:37 am

Yeah bladeracer we have both up here as well the crow and the carrawong the carrawong is more cunning than a hat full of monkies
When i plant seedlings in the garden they will hop along behind me and pull the seedlings out when i dig my garden up i can have up to 50 or more hopping around in the garden lf you don't watch them they'll eat the dog food after chasing the dog away they can be funny buggers at times but a pain in the arse most of the time
Up here we call them the jollywong and they are protected up here but not sure if the crow is but i don't think they are
grandadbushy
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 03 Mar 2019, 2:16 am

Worked for a contractor who was a shot firer who set up a dead tree with carrion then first thing in the morning he set it off.Got about 150 in one go.It was a very remote place and you could do stuff like that
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Mar 2019, 6:04 am

A lot of people don't realise foxes often live/sleep in trees that are standing not just hollow logs on the ground!
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Mar 2019, 9:38 am

bigfellascott wrote:A lot of people don't realise foxes often live/sleep in trees that are standing not just hollow logs on the ground!

When I was a ten year old my Father showed me something that will support what your saying BFS

He had found a fox that had obviously tried to get up into the lower parts of the spreading branches of a young tree.
Why,,,,,,, we never could figure out, maybe trying to get birds, or maybe a sleep in the shade,,,, :unknown:

But ol Brer Fox had come to grief.
About a meter and a half up from the ground there was a forked section, and the fox's head/neck was wedged in the fork with its body hanging below.
There were no other foot holds below for him, and you could see where his back feet/claws had scrabbled in the bark of the trunk in a desperate attempt to free himself.
So it was obvious that no person had hung a dead fox there.

He must have died a slow and cruel death, and due to weather conditions he had actually dried out and remained largely intact.
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 03 Mar 2019, 10:53 am

It happens occasionally with both sheep and goats. trying to reach leaves higher up on a tree, they slip, and end up with their head wedged in the fork of a tree. Usually saplings, that I've seen.
A slow & unpleasant way to die..

Also seen a juvenile Galah do it here at the house one day; right up the top of a Coolibah tree in the house yard.
No chance in hell of reaching the poor bugger, though we tried sorting out a long pole to push him out. He was about 15 metres up, and we just couldnt get anything long enough to reach, so we eventually had to shoot him.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Mar 2019, 11:50 am

hmmm...well ill follow this digression as well...

Barbed wire fences are not good either...& i dont just mean for us blokes when we let the top string slip while straddling a fence in our most vulnerable position....or when they annoyingly catch a part of your clothing & cause you to look like a drunk twat as your sent well off balance doing the ever so humerous 3 or more metre long balance regaining dance... :lol:

I came accros this a while back & call me a woos, but i found it a little disturbing & it certainly had a negative effect on me for the rest of the day to say the least...& the continued on for the next day as well.
They are such majestic & powerful creatures, yet as you can see here, also very vulnerable to the changes us white fellas have bought to their habitat.

This is a juvenile Wedgie & while small, was still a BIG bird, the pics really dont do its size any justice...obviously tried to fly away & wing dipped down & got caught on a barb, ended up hanging between top 2 wires...looking closely at it, you could see the more it struggled the more it its feathers got tied up & the barb bedded in...

It wouldnt have been there no more than a day I was in the area for 3 days...got me thinking 'if only came this track yesterday'...

20170609_092909 Copy.jpg
20170609_092909 Copy.jpg (325.14 KiB) Viewed 293 times

20170609_092859 Copy.jpg
20170609_092859 Copy.jpg (306.52 KiB) Viewed 293 times

20170609_092842 Copy.jpg
20170609_092842 Copy.jpg (343.62 KiB) Viewed 293 times
Stix
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment