Quality Assurance - Black Carbon Gong

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Quality Assurance - Black Carbon Gong

Post by brett1868 » 23 Apr 2019, 10:00 pm

I was looking for a shooting gong and found a company in Melbourne called "Black Carbon" that made some heavy duty 50BMG rated ones. A local shop to me was an agent so I had them order in the biggest, toughest and heaviest one they had. A week later and $200 paid I had a 25kg 16mm Bisalloy 500 hexagonal plate. I'm currently at the bugout and after a quick coat of paint and improvising a frame from star posts and wire I put the first shots on target. From 300m with a 50BMG firing a 750gr AMAX projectile it left but a smudge.
Disappointed at the shear lack of any damage it was decided to up the abuse hit it from a distance of 100m. Video is of a guest shooter to the bugout firing a single shot followed up by me firing another 3 (not on video), none of the 4 shots @100m did anything other then leave a lead smudge on the plate. I'm ramping the abuse up a level tomorrow and will try to mark it with something a bit faster, the M99 .416 Barrett with a 395gr brass VLD at 3160fps :)

300m
https://youtu.be/REc7MHjNEGU

100m
https://youtu.be/WGFONkDJPkw
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Quality Assurance - Black Carbon Gong

Post by ClaytonT88 » 23 Apr 2019, 10:53 pm

Wowzers. That is one serious gong.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Apr 2019, 11:18 pm

brett1868 wrote:I was looking for a shooting gong and found a company in Melbourne called "Black Carbon" that made some heavy duty 50BMG rated ones. A local shop to me was an agent so I had them order in the biggest, toughest and heaviest one they had. A week later and $200 paid I had a 25kg 16mm Bisalloy 500 hexagonal plate. I'm currently at the bugout and after a quick coat of paint and improvising a frame from star posts and wire I put the first shots on target. From 300m with a 50BMG firing a 750gr AMAX projectile it left but a smudge.
Disappointed at the shear lack of any damage it was decided to up the abuse hit it from a distance of 100m. Video is of a guest shooter to the bugout firing a single shot followed up by me firing another 3 (not on video), none of the 4 shots @100m did anything other then leave a lead smudge on the plate. I'm ramping the abuse up a level tomorrow and will try to mark it with something a bit faster, the M99 .416 Barrett with a 395gr brass VLD at 3160fps :)

300m
https://youtu.be/REc7MHjNEGU

100m
https://youtu.be/WGFONkDJPkw

It's funny how it all works hey, a mate and I were shooting at a 10mm hardox plate quite a few years ago now, we used 338 lap, 308, 223, 222 and 22.250 only one that penetrated it was the 22.250 everything else just left the usual splash mark on it and that was it. :unknown: Small diameter and high velocity seem to do the trick on it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 23 Apr 2019, 11:29 pm

Not very accurate is it..... :lol: :lol:

Thought you would have at least made the first splash even bigger.... :sarcasm:

So far I haven't found anything that will do more than take the paint off the 12mm plates I have. No way would I test closer than 100m, I've found bits of a bullet that have almost come home to roost.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Apr 2019, 11:38 pm

Tungsten inserts should leave a mark :thumbsup: probably not legal in the land of oz though.

I thought you'd be retrieving the gong from across the boarder after a smack from the Fiddy

Thanks for sharing Brett 8-)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Apr 2019, 8:11 am

I wonder how Ti would perform at similar thickness - that metal is insanely hard.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Apr 2019, 8:39 am

The cost would be silly. Also its also lighter so less mass.

But great work Brett
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 24 Apr 2019, 6:08 pm

Wow...that hits with a sharp bit of slappidy...
Phew'.
Who'd wana be in the forces fighting an enemy with them buzzin through the air... :unknown:

Good little vids... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Apr 2019, 7:54 pm

I'll probably see BC's owners tomorrow and will pass on your comments. We have been using their duelling tree for pistol and rimfire rifle shooting, as well as their "Ivo" target base for rifle and have found them to be very good. I have some of their paper targets they sell but have yet to use them, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 24 Apr 2019, 8:58 pm

one of my crew turned up with a 250mm round piece of bissalloy 10mm thick and nothing would touch it at 100.I gave it a Winchester 175gn failsafe at 20 metres and it made a slight bulge
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 25 Apr 2019, 12:03 am

Apollo wrote:
No way would I test closer than 100m, I've found bits of a bullet that have almost come home to roost.

I'd ditto that, that's a hell of a lot of energy being dissipated.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 25 Apr 2019, 12:06 am

No1Mk3 wrote:I'll probably see BC's owners tomorrow and will pass on your comments. We have been using their duelling tree for pistol and rimfire rifle shooting, as well as their "Ivo" target base for rifle and have found them to be very good. I have some of their paper targets they sell but have yet to use them, Cheers.

No worries, they have the videos already as I sent them a link. I’ve also given them my blessing to use the footage for any promo work they like. My laptop is flat and I’m having off grid power issues at the bug out but will post the video of the .416 abuse tomorrow night. We managed to mark it with the brass VLD’s but barely more then a small centre punch mark about the size of a pin head. I’m going to move over to another property tomorrow and I’ll smack it with some BMG brass VLD’s from the big gun but doubt that’ll mark it. More videos of gong abuse coming soon :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 25 Apr 2019, 12:20 am

Apollo wrote:Not very accurate is it..... :lol: :lol:

Thought you would have at least made the first splash even bigger.... :sarcasm:

So far I haven't found anything that will do more than take the paint off the 12mm plates I have. No way would I test closer than 100m, I've found bits of a bullet that have almost come home to roost.

Wasn’t shooting for groups on this occasion, actually wound up 3” between shots on the 300m video. On the other video there’s just a lead smudge from 3 shots within an inch of each other. Also there’s 2 different shooters so you’ll get slightly different impact points. Group shooting will be the next couple days at 1000yds in preparation for the Aus titles coming up in Aug. The second shooter is a member here and I’ll leave it up to him if he wants to identify himself. Suffice to say he handled the 50 & 416 without issues and I’ll let him comment on the experience if he so wishes.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 Apr 2019, 10:53 am

Great but of footage. I really enjoy shooting gongs but don't have anything in my safe that hits with anything like that sort of authority :-)
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2019, 8:06 pm

brett1868 wrote: More videos of gong abuse coming soon :D

Well I'm blue in the face,,,,,, but still holding my breathe,, ????
:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 07 May 2019, 8:46 pm

Fark they hit hard. you can see the ground dust erupt either side of the impact...I reckon it’s from where the Gong is screaming out all his air “WHAT THE F...”
Awesome bit of kit.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 May 2019, 8:48 pm

How's the look of shock :o on the plate's face when it gets the bejesus smacked out of it :lol:
20190507_201325.jpg
20190507_201325.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 4425 times

20190507_201651.jpg
20190507_201651.jpg (102.57 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 07 May 2019, 9:06 pm

Here's the .416 Barrett video, apologies for the delay I've been flat stick with work and forgot to update this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhMjhkMdJiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS4uHSa-s-c

The dust cloud is from the projectile disintegrating on impact and spraying the ground with fragments. We found flakes of brass up to 20m from the gong so I definitely wouldn't recommend being any closer then 100m. Never got round to trying the gong with the 50BMG brass rounds as I spent most of the next day practising my 1000yd shooting. Practise yielded a best group of 4.88" @ 1000yds with a 5-7m/s wind gusting from 10 O'clock which is right in the ball park of where I want to be :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 07 May 2019, 9:16 pm

brett1868 wrote:Wasn’t shooting for groups on this occasion, actually wound up 3” between shots on the 300m video. On the other video there’s just a lead smudge from 3 shots within an inch of each other. Also there’s 2 different shooters so you’ll get slightly different impact points. Group shooting will be the next couple days at 1000yds in preparation for the Aus titles coming up in Aug. The second shooter is a member here and I’ll leave it up to him if he wants to identify himself. Suffice to say he handled the 50 & 416 without issues and I’ll let him comment on the experience if he so wishes.

Great stuff Brett, was only a stir... ;)

Good to see you having a bit of fun again.

Not quite as long range as you but I'm off to the 500m Fly Nationals next month. Since I haven't competed for years I'd better get some practise in myself so I can hopefully hit something, well, at least the target. It's going to be interesting since it's been so dry here and livestock everywhere getting them all out of the way for a few rounds at a target.

I'll just use my little Pea Rifle (6.5mm) but it still stirs up dust hitting Bisalloy plates.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 May 2019, 10:36 pm

Apollo wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Wasn’t shooting for groups on this occasion, actually wound up 3” between shots on the 300m video. On the other video there’s just a lead smudge from 3 shots within an inch of each other. Also there’s 2 different shooters so you’ll get slightly different impact points. Group shooting will be the next couple days at 1000yds in preparation for the Aus titles coming up in Aug. The second shooter is a member here and I’ll leave it up to him if he wants to identify himself. Suffice to say he handled the 50 & 416 without issues and I’ll let him comment on the experience if he so wishes.

Great stuff Brett, was only a stir... ;)

Good to see you having a bit of fun again.

Not quite as long range as you but I'm off to the 500m Fly Nationals next month. Since I haven't competed for years I'd better get some practise in myself so I can hopefully hit something, well, at least the target. It's going to be interesting since it's been so dry here and livestock everywhere getting them all out of the way for a few rounds at a target.

I'll just use my little Pea Rifle (6.5mm) but it still stirs up dust hitting Bisalloy plates.

Where are the Nationals being held? Might wander over and say hi and check out the fun :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 07 May 2019, 10:44 pm

SSAA Batemans Bay - June long weekend.

Light Gun Saturday, Heavy Gun Sunday and 200y Rimfire Monday.

Sorry but a 50BMG would be over the range limit of less than 8mm....

http://500-m-fly-shooter.1062065.n5.nab ... 10401.html
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 May 2019, 11:26 pm

Apollo wrote:SSAA Batemans Bay - June long weekend.

Light Gun Saturday, Heavy Gun Sunday and 200y Rimfire Monday.

Sorry but a 50BMG would be over the range limit of less than 8mm....

http://500-m-fly-shooter.1062065.n5.nab ... 10401.html

Might head down with the boy and the Hipster 6.5 Creedmoor just for fun. I'll check out the rules and register after checking my calendar as I've got a lot on for the next few months. Even if I make it a day trip to torment you it'd be worth the drive :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment