Ammo carry in the field

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Ammo carry in the field

Post by mickb » 24 Apr 2019, 5:15 pm

How do you guys carry your cartridges when you are in the field, meaning gun ready looking for game? Always interested to hear others setups. I wear a fishing vest these days in the heat, plenty of pockets for mags and loose cartridges without looking too tactical.
Last edited by mickb on 24 Apr 2019, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Ammo carry in the field

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Apr 2019, 5:27 pm

I carry 3 in mag and 3 in top pocket
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 24 Apr 2019, 5:38 pm

deer hunting 3-5 in the mag is plenty but if varminting a carry bag like this one, I can take a small drink, a knife, range finder ect
zuffel.com/products/sidekick-sling-bag-acu

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Apr 2019, 5:47 pm

I use a belt mag...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 24 Apr 2019, 7:00 pm

Mate I have one of these. Generally enough between it and a four in the mag. I also have one of those bags like marksman which I carry other essentials like small first aid kit, PLB, etc.
Attachments
6AD97F81-7F59-4F15-ACC2-5C4A154A5AEC.jpeg
6AD97F81-7F59-4F15-ACC2-5C4A154A5AEC.jpeg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Apr 2019, 11:06 pm

I carry 3 in mag and 3 in top pocket

Same here! :D You really don't need a lot of ammo when hunting game, most of the time it's one or 2 shots and that's all she wrote, nothing else seen after that. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2019, 2:15 am

I normally take two ten-round mags of centre fire, long and short range loads. I'll usually also carry a pair of soft ammo wallets of twelve-rounds each. With .22LR I take a couple of full mags plus two or three boxes. I'd rather have more than I need than run short. It's not like ammo is heavy or bulky.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 25 Apr 2019, 7:00 am

30 round old school leather ammo belt.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Apr 2019, 9:44 am

bigfellascott wrote:Same here! :D You really don't need a lot of ammo when hunting game, most of the time it's one or 2 shots and that's all. :unknown:

Same here for most hunting.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Apr 2019, 11:16 am

bladeracer wrote:I normally take two ten-round mags of centre fire, long and short range loads. I'll usually also carry a pair of soft ammo wallets of twelve-rounds each. With .22LR I take a couple of full mags plus two or three boxes. I'd rather have more than I need than run short. It's not like ammo is heavy or bulky.

Mate, you going hunting animals or supporting the infantry? :D
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2019, 11:25 am

TassieTiger wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I normally take two ten-round mags of centre fire, long and short range loads. I'll usually also carry a pair of soft ammo wallets of twelve-rounds each. With .22LR I take a couple of full mags plus two or three boxes. I'd rather have more than I need than run short. It's not like ammo is heavy or bulky.

I just like to have options :-)
If I don't see any live targets I'm quite likely to have a bit of fun anyway, can't do that if you leave your ammo at home.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Apr 2019, 2:45 pm

TassieTiger wrote:

Or a bad shot? :D :sarcasm: I used to do the same thing when I was young, as I got older I realised I was carting way too much stuff including ammo that I really didn't need to be carting around, now all I take is a rifle with loaded mag, a few rounds in my pocket and maybe a knife depending on what I'm doing and some water, that's about it these days for an armed bushwalk. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2019, 3:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Or a bad shot? :D :sarcasm: I used to do the same thing when I was young, as I got older I realised I was carting way too much stuff including ammo that I really didn't need to be carting around, now all I take is a rifle with loaded mag, a few rounds in my pocket and maybe a knife depending on what I'm doing and some water, that's about it these days for an armed bushwalk. :drinks:

If I'm only going out for a couple hours on the farm I'd do similar, plus binoculars. But more ammo as I'll probably stop for some shooting somewhere.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Apr 2019, 3:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Or a bad shot? :D :sarcasm: I used to do the same thing when I was young, as I got older I realised I was carting way too much stuff including ammo that I really didn't need to be carting around, now all I take is a rifle with loaded mag, a few rounds in my pocket and maybe a knife depending on what I'm doing and some water, that's about it these days for an armed bushwalk. :drinks:

If I'm only going out for a couple hours on the farm I'd do similar, plus binoculars. But more ammo as I'll probably stop for some shooting somewhere.

Shooting targets you mean mate?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2019, 3:45 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yep, paper or steel.Seems a shame to bring live ammo home again :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Apr 2019, 5:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yep, paper or steel.Seems a shame to bring live ammo home again :-)

:lol: fair enough to mate - I’m the opposite these days I try not to waste it as I really can’t be bothered reloading if I can avoid it - mind you I can’t avoid it much longer as my reloads are very low at the moment.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Apr 2019, 5:56 pm

If it’s a known area for top quality / high end game I try not to make any residual noise from target shooting - but if it’s run of the mill area it’s hard not to let a few sight checkers loose...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 25 Apr 2019, 6:17 pm

My new Sauer 100 takes 5 and 1 up the spout. There is an optional ten round mag for maybe 130 bucks so I will prob just carry a spare mag in a pocket
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 25 Apr 2019, 10:38 pm

if im on a cull,,50+ a few,not that i use all of them but as im out all day i don't want to run out,, if im going bunnying, a couple of boxes but i rarely go through one but again i don't want to run out :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 26 Apr 2019, 8:06 pm

My favourite hunting is after pigs, on foot. In the old days, I had an ammo belt, but in later years I found I had no need for a spare 20 rounds. Also, the ammo belt meant that cartridges often rubbed on my rifle stock. I like to carry a spare mag, which is in a pouch on a belt. I also have an Uncle Mikes Cartridge holder that holds 10 rounds, with them folded up inside, so nothing will rub. So that gives me 18 rounds total.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Apr 2019, 9:38 pm

tom604 wrote:i, if im going bunnying, a couple of boxes but i rarely go through one but again i don't want to run out :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with optimism but you DEFINITELY hunt in different places than me lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by tom604 » 27 Apr 2019, 12:51 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
tom604 wrote:i, if im going bunnying, a couple of boxes but i rarely go through one but again i don't want to run out :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with optimism but you DEFINITELY hunt in different places than me lol.

will admit it's been about a year since ive got good numbers,, still got 15 the last time i went out but the owner of the property has told me that the calixi/mixi has knocked the heck out of them since then :thumbsdown: haven't shot a fox this year either :thumbsdown: might be able to get on the deer later in the year so things may be looking up :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment