Are retail prices over the top?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Are retail prices over the top?

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2019, 10:28 pm

Firearms industry would be no different to any other. Generally most stuff 100% mark up. Must shop around. And as mentioned earier, spend within your budget.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 24 May 2019, 11:11 am

Mickyj I would tend to agree insofar as smaller businesses overheads are now making it difficult to exist. The first is often real estate prices and therefore lease/rents skyrocketing. When our properties became betting odds for multinationals( aka linked to funds and stocks) in the late 1990's it bubbled their value several hundred % higher than they should be. These prices should more closely match normal population growth, which has only been about 30% over the same time.

Another is electricity bills, we sold our grids to multinationals to build and maintain, and they promptly went and screwed us for about 200% inflation over the next 20 years. Costs like these have to be passed onto consumers in order to run the small business.

Aussies are also some of the dumbest when it comes to happily paying for things we want. We don't have the competing markets of Europe nor the sheer size of the North American economy.

It hit me when I was working in the middle east and I saw all these cashed up Arab families driving tricked up hiluxes and landcruisers for 20-30k US. Everyone says oh yeah, less taxes, less tarrifs. Taxes and Tarrifs dont triple prices. We get f**** over basically because the companies set prices in line with customers credit limits ;)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Snip3o » 24 May 2019, 1:09 pm

Sus_scrofa wrote:Are people just cheapskate nowadays or what? If your too cheap or prices are too high for you Don't buy it
get a different hobby and stop whinging ! Prices in my lifetime have risen along with inflation, for example I have packets of 22lr winchester rabbit ammo bought in the 80s from kmart for $2.98, packets of super x bought from a brizzy shop for $3.85 10 years ago and nowadays you pay about $10, & oh yeah over those 30 + years my wages have increased so I have more disposable income. If you shop around and u can still find $5 packets of 22s around. I prefer to pay the extra cause cheap stuff is usually rubbish ( sometimes it works but) We Australia is a small population the importers / distributors of firearm related items have the biggest margins but also the highest risks. Most shops I shop at offer good service and I will buy from them and stay away from price discounters that have crappy service. Rant over...

Ive been informed guns usually have 10-15% Mark up , ammo is about 40% my mate tells me who works in a gun shop. Now that ain't big margins!!! Compared to other retail shops. So support your local or they won't be around when u need them.

This! My local gun shop pleasantly has really good prices and a good stock for how little the town is, support your local store!
Savage B22 - 22LR
Snip3o
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 May 2019, 3:36 pm

mickb wrote:We get f**** over basically because the companies set prices in line with customers credit limits ;)

About sums it up nicely.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 24 May 2019, 7:32 pm

Depends where you go, when I was shopping around for my 223 I got three stores at $1050 another two at around $1450, but ended up buying it from another for $745 all shops were within 40mins drive of one another
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch