What's a good filler for rest bags?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: What's a good filler for rest bags?

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2020, 6:59 pm

marksman wrote:thats what l use now, Stix put me onto them plastic poly beads, lighter than rice and the mice in the shed dont eat it
good stuff :thumbsup:

Pretty sure Stix was also the reason I tried them.

I bought a large cross-shaped bag that I think somebody here posted about. Haven't tried it yet though, been too cold and wet for shooting :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 26 Jun 2020, 11:07 pm

I'm going to try kilmdried sand in a sock from the next landscaping job I do haha :)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 27 Jun 2020, 9:19 am

I ordered 5kg of those filler beads, I plan to put some sand in first to weight the bottom down and take up some space.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Jun 2020, 9:22 am

scruffa wrote:I also heard that the bb's used for the airsoft guns work well. Weather doesn't impact and light weight.

My very young kids play with some of these types of things - tiny polymer grains that you soak in water and they increase x 10 original size.
Had no idea - if they are the same thing - they were illegal to buy. An ebayer in qld sells 10,000 for $9
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 27 Jun 2020, 11:59 am

Aliqua wrote:I'm going to try kilmdried sand in a sock from the next landscaping job I do haha :)

this does work but it is very heavy, does work though
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2020, 12:28 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
scruffa wrote:I also heard that the bb's used for the airsoft guns work well. Weather doesn't impact and light weight.

My very young kids play with some of these types of things - tiny polymer grains that you soak in water and they increase x 10 original size.
Had no idea - if they are the same thing - they were illegal to buy. An ebayer in qld sells 10,000 for $9

Those are for gel blasters, not Airsoft, different stuff. Airsoft is just a plastic ball.
Gel blasters are still legal in Qld, Airsoft is still illegal in all states, thus there can be no genuine reason to support an import permit for the ammunition.

I don't think gel blaster "ammo" is illegal anyway though as it used in other fields.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Jun 2020, 2:33 pm

Roger. Cheers for clarifying.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by moudzj » 27 Jun 2020, 4:43 pm

Why not bean bag filler ? Can weight the bottom with some sand right ?
moudzj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 29 Jun 2020, 6:13 am

You could go around to the local chapter of the Greens and ask for some of their shredded paper, it may appear that they have lots of it. :roll:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jul 2020, 6:36 am

Stix wrote:
Jarhead wrote:Hey Stix,

You are not wrong!

I didn't notice the price before posting that link and I didn't buy from them...….I bought from the below linked seller at 1/2 the price for the same stuff.....same as Bladeracer posted……. though it was only $6 for 500gms last year when I purchased......

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/500gram-Aus ... 3965116205

Yea mate but even thats expensive...

I could still sell the stuff i payed an exorbitant price for & still make 600%--thats six times what i payed for it...less the cost of the zip lock bag...
So if i halved that price you paid id still make a killing...& i could get it a lot cheaper...

I thought about selling it years ago long before i even suggested it on here but figured no one would buy it...stoopid me...!!!

Carpet industry buys it by the ton. cheap as chips.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by WookyMysta » 23 Aug 2020, 6:54 pm

[quote="Stix"]Gees thats expensive...!!

I should go buy another bag of the stuff i used & sell it off in lots like that...thats between 600% to 1000% profit, based on the incredibly high price i paid for a 20kg bag, less the cost of the zip lock bag id have to buy for individual portions...WOW...!!

Does anyone know how hard it is to set up as an ebay

Yeh, you should buy 4 pallets of the stuff. That way you can feed your bank account, rather than help your fellow man
:clap:
WookyMysta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Aug 2020, 7:51 am

WookyMysta wrote:
Stix wrote:Gees thats expensive...!!

I should go buy another bag of the stuff i used & sell it off in lots like that...thats between 600% to 1000% profit, based on the incredibly high price i paid for a 20kg bag, less the cost of the zip lock bag id have to buy for individual portions...WOW...!!

Yeh, you should buy 4 pallets of the stuff. That way you can feed your bank account, rather than help your fellow man

Ummm...you mean act like every other business out there? Do you want things to be free to you ? :unknown:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by flashman » 24 Aug 2020, 9:23 am

Spot on poly beads work the best , don't have to worry about getting wet ,or rats eating it.................. :mrgreen:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 24 Aug 2020, 1:30 pm

WookyMysta wrote:
Stix wrote:Gees thats expensive...!!

Gees mate. Wasting energy having a selfish crack at someone is a little silly isnt it? I mean, why would you want to buy a huge quantity at a good rate then have to pay a heap of freight to ship it half way across this country to yourself?

Wouldnt you be better off finding a local supplier.?

What ever you do, dont look in this thread about ammo shortage & buying cheap in bulk viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14281 because there are lots of people there to get narky at for buying stuff cheap & noit telling you what they bought it for :problem:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Aug 2020, 6:09 pm

Whilst on the subject - If anyone is interested - I do have a line available on these poly pellet fillers as discussed above.
It is pretty much the ideal filler for rests - bar Not much else out there. Get creative with your pant legs, ya socks, etc - hell - if I had foxes over here I know what I’d be doing lol. One very COOL rest in the making!!!
I can get a kg for $10 plus post or for larger quantities, can get them down as low as $5 per kg plus postage.

Pm if interested.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Woden » 18 Nov 2020, 9:42 pm

Snip3o wrote:Just bought one unfilled set off Ebay to sight in the scope on my new .22. My first thought was to fill it with rice but i'm going to be storing it in my shed and that could attract rodents and moisture quite easily, my 2nd thought was sand but that would probably leak out of the stitches. What have you guys used and what are your experiences?

Thanks.

Did exactly the same thing for the same reason. I went to Coles and bought a 5kg bag of rice that filled both bags exactly. I figure if I'm out bush and I get lost at least I can cook the rice and won't starve! :D
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 18 Nov 2020, 10:50 pm

Where is rice and corn grown in Australia? I drive out west of bris and I see barley wheat and sorghum And maybe some pulses , is the rice hiding from me?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 19 Nov 2020, 6:08 am

Rice? Go to Leeton, NSW.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Skinna » 19 Nov 2020, 11:50 am

New survival technique for hunting...

Leave the eperb & bipod home...instead...Carry your bench bags around with you filled with 5kg's of rice...that way if you get lost for a month you'll be able to eat something...like stale mouldy rice... :thumbsup:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2020, 12:52 pm

Woden wrote:Did exactly the same thing for the same reason. I went to Coles and bought a 5kg bag of rice that filled both bags exactly. I figure if I'm out bush and I get lost at least I can cook the rice and won't starve! :D

You carry 5kg of rice with you in the bush????
30kg is about the most I want to be carrying in the bush, and I can find lots of things I'd rather carry than rice :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Woden » 19 Nov 2020, 6:34 pm

Sorry guys, maybe the smilie emoji didn't give it away but that was my attempt at sarcasm. I promise to be clearer next time!
DaZ
Woden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2020, 6:59 pm

Woden wrote:Sorry guys, maybe the smilie emoji didn't give it away but that was my attempt at sarcasm. I promise to be clearer next time!

My comment was humour also, I can't imagine too many people lugging shooting bags around in the bush :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment