What's a good filler for rest bags?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

What's a good filler for rest bags?

Post by Snip3o » 20 May 2019, 9:59 am

Just bought one unfilled set off Ebay to sight in the scope on my new .22. My first thought was to fill it with rice but i'm going to be storing it in my shed and that could attract rodents and moisture quite easily, my 2nd thought was sand but that would probably leak out of the stitches. What have you guys used and what are your experiences?

Thanks.
Savage B22 - 22LR
Snip3o
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: What's a good filler for rest bags?

Post by eddahenry » 20 May 2019, 10:41 am

Sand blasting media if you want heavy ,, or Kitty litter for light (but keep it out of moisture )
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Col » 20 May 2019, 12:00 pm

Rice
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2019, 12:32 pm

Snip3o wrote:Just bought one unfilled set off Ebay to sight in the scope on my new .22. My first thought was to fill it with rice but i'm going to be storing it in my shed and that could attract rodents and moisture quite easily, my 2nd thought was sand but that would probably leak out of the stitches. What have you guys used and what are your experiences?

Thanks.

I used dirt but out in the weather it went rock hard over time and got to be a nuisance having to soften it every time I wanted to use them. I also filled them with empty .22LR brass, which was better, but holds water.

I bought a 3kg bag of plastic pellets that was suggested on here. I like it, but the 3kg bag is not big enough to fill a Caldwell front and rear bag so I ordered another 5kg bag. 5kg would fill a set of bags.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-x-Kilo-Plastic-Poly-Pellets-For-Weighted-Blankets-Quilts-and-Toys-/264075768947

I also bought one set of Caldwell bags already filled, they use walnut shells.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2019, 12:33 pm

eddahenry wrote:Sand blasting media if you want heavy ,, or Kitty litter for light (but keep it out of moisture )

That's a good point. I bought a 10kg bucket of media for this reason, but completely forgot to try it, and now I can't even recall where I left it - might have to have a dig around in the sheds I think :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2019, 2:14 pm

I just use sand out of the sandpit from across the road - I like my sandbags heavy so I can leave them on the bonnet of the car whilst out spotlighting and driving around looking for ferals.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 May 2019, 3:58 pm

I used rice as well.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CrackThump » 20 May 2019, 6:46 pm

Has anyone made their own rest bags.?

what material did you use for the outer.??
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2019, 7:01 pm

CrackThump wrote:Has anyone made their own rest bags.?

what material did you use for the outer.??

Those ones in my post are all home made, Jean legs make good shooting bags as does calico and any material really, it doesn't have to be special, just need to be able to hold media of some sort and be durable. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Snip3o » 20 May 2019, 8:33 pm

Hey everyone thanks for the replies, looks like i'll have to buy some blasting media then, thanks for the suggestion!
Savage B22 - 22LR
Snip3o
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Hunter257 » 20 May 2019, 10:59 pm

I bought ebay bags too and used sand
makes them bloody heavy but nice to shoot off
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2019, 5:47 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Those ones in my post are all home made, Jean legs make good shooting bags as does calico and any material really, it doesn't have to be special, just need to be able to hold media of some sort and be durable. :thumbsup:

Same here. Trouser legs filled with rice or wheat.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2019, 1:29 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Same here. Trouser legs filled with rice or wheat.

I hate when that happens :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 22 May 2019, 6:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Same here. Trouser legs filled with rice or wheat.

I hate when that happens :-)

Ain’t it weird how 1 grain of rice in your shoe can ruin your day?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 22 May 2019, 8:06 pm

Unpolishes short grain rice.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2019, 8:29 pm

Bill wrote:Unpolishes short grain rice.

Doesn't it congeal when it gets wet?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by snag » 07 Mar 2020, 7:59 pm

Personally, I use macadamia nuts ('cos I live on an old macadamia farm). Blokes I know use pine bark. Either way, light and not affected by moisture.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scruffa » 24 Jun 2020, 3:02 pm

I also heard that the bb's used for the airsoft guns work well. Weather doesn't impact and light weight.
scruffa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2020, 3:10 pm

scruffa wrote:I also heard that the bb's used for the airsoft guns work well. Weather doesn't impact and light weight.

Illegal import.
I ordered some for powdercoating bullets, got stopped by Border Force as "ammunition".

I use these.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-X-Kilo-Plastic-Poly-Pellets-For-Weighted-Blankets-Quilts-and-Toys/263943925330

I really should try them for powdercoating as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jarhead » 24 Jun 2020, 4:01 pm

SNip3o,

I used plastic bead filler, and will recommend this for a rear squeezy bag. Will last forever and not attract rodents or absorb water. Also it has a great control feel when doing the elevation squeeze...…. I have used sand before and will not go back as this plastic fill is so much better.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shooting-Gu ... SwohVc1M8C

CrackThump- What a great name!

I made my last rear bag for a US Marine Corp reunion. We went to the NRA facility in Whittington New Mexico and had some >1000meter challenges setup for old times sake. I found some of my old pre Desert Storm Jungle camoflage uniforms and made a rear bag out of that. I got quite a few smiles on the range when I pulled it out.

IMG-2138[4287].JPG
IMG-2138[4287].JPG (1.7 MiB) Viewed 9884 times

IMG-2139.JPG
IMG-2139.JPG (1.73 MiB) Viewed 9884 times
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2020, 4:13 pm

Gees thats expensive...!!

I should go buy another bag of the stuff i used & sell it off in lots like that...thats between 600% to 1000% profit, based on the incredibly high price i paid for a 20kg bag, less the cost of the zip lock bag id have to buy for individual portions...WOW...!!

Does anyone know how hard it is to set up as an ebay seller...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2020, 4:36 pm

Stix wrote:Gees thats expensive...!!

I should go buy another bag of the stuff i used & sell it off in lots like that...thats between 600% to 1000% profit, based on the incredibly high price i paid for a 20kg bag, less the cost of the zip lock bag id have to buy for individual portions...WOW...!!

Does anyone know how hard it is to set up as an ebay seller...?

It's not cheap, but it does work well, and it's not consumable.
$12 for 500gm bags is very steep.
I've bought 3kg, 5kg and a 10kg bag so far, the bigger bags work out cheaper per kg. I have one shooting rest that takes 7.5kg of the stuff.

Anybody with an Ebay account can sell or buy.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jarhead » 24 Jun 2020, 4:40 pm

Hey Stix,

You are not wrong!

I didn't notice the price before posting that link and I didn't buy from them...….I bought from the below linked seller at 1/2 the price for the same stuff.....same as Bladeracer posted……. though it was only $6 for 500gms last year when I purchased......

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/500gram-Aus ... 3965116205
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2020, 6:00 pm

Jarhead wrote:Hey Stix,

You are not wrong!

I didn't notice the price before posting that link and I didn't buy from them...….I bought from the below linked seller at 1/2 the price for the same stuff.....same as Bladeracer posted……. though it was only $6 for 500gms last year when I purchased......

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/500gram-Aus ... 3965116205

Yea mate but even thats expensive...

I could still sell the stuff i payed an exorbitant price for & still make 600%--thats six times what i payed for it...less the cost of the zip lock bag...
So if i halved that price you paid id still make a killing...& i could get it a lot cheaper...

I thought about selling it years ago long before i even suggested it on here but figured no one would buy it...stoopid me...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by grumpy308 » 24 Jun 2020, 6:04 pm

Garnet used for sandblasting works the best in sandbags. Haven't bought any for a while but used to get it from auto pro in 25kg bags, not sure if they still do it. Check out any metalworking place that does sandblasting and I'm sure they would help you out with enough to fill a sandbag for not too much coin. Regards Malcolm.
grumpy308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2020, 6:07 pm

Stix wrote:Yea mate but even thats expensive...

I could still sell the stuff i payed an exorbitant price for & still make 600%--thats six times what i payed for it...less the cost of the zip lock bag...
So if i halved that price you paid id still make a killing...& i could get it a lot cheaper...

I thought about selling it years ago long before i even suggested it on here but figured no one would buy it...stoopid me...!!!

I think I paid $90 for the 10kg bag, delivered, so $6/kg at PoS, but $9/kg if you have to ship.

I don't imagine there's a huge market for it though, especially if you target shooters only. You could probably buy 200kg for a buck or two per kg, but then you have to store it for a few years, dishing out 500gm bags as required. Personally, I'd find that to be a pain in the butt :-)

I've tried a few different fillings and always had problems, primarily due to weather, the plastic pellets are immune to everything. The only concern is a split bag dumping a pile of plastic in the paddock.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jun 2020, 6:12 pm

grumpy308 wrote:Garnet used for sandblasting works the best in sandbags. Haven't bought any for a while but used to get it from auto pro in 25kg bags, not sure if they still do it. Check out any metalworking place that does sandblasting and I'm sure they would help you out with enough to fill a sandbag for not too much coin. Regards Malcolm.

The problem I had with that was the weight, makes the bag too heavy for lugging around. If you're leaving it in the paddock though it's not bad.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Jun 2020, 6:14 pm

Glad this thread came up, was just asking myself the same question.
Just found these on eBay
Attachments
Screenshot_20200624-180915_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200624-180915_eBay.jpg (343.23 KiB) Viewed 9863 times
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ash_hendo » 24 Jun 2020, 6:46 pm

Snip3o wrote:Just bought one unfilled set off Ebay to sight in the scope on my new .22. My first thought was to fill it with rice but i'm going to be storing it in my shed and that could attract rodents and moisture quite easily, my 2nd thought was sand but that would probably leak out of the stitches. What have you guys used and what are your experiences?

Thanks.

I used sand, but was not happy as bits leaks out and I don't want gritty stuff on my bench.I'd like to use 6mm plastic BB's but they're illegal now I believe. maybe I'll go to a sewing shop and by a bag of small beads......

I'd stay away from foodstuff as Rats will definitely chew it in a shed.

The cleaning medium suggestion sounds interesting, never thought of that, I have some of that laying around so might try,
Last edited by ash_hendo on 24 Jun 2020, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 24 Jun 2020, 6:47 pm

thats what l use now, Stix put me onto them plastic poly beads, lighter than rice and the mice in the shed dont eat it
good stuff :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment