Spotlighting rest

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Spotlighting rest

Post by Cal-ApeR » 01 Jun 2019, 8:19 pm

A quick one for you. I have a 24" varmint barrelled 223. Lovely rifle and very accurate but very very front heavy. I find that when spotlighting my arm tires. The window height is quite low which prevents me from using the sill as a rest.

Without spending $70-$150 on a simple rest, has anyone got a cheap fix? I was Thinking a thick blanket folded up may work but not sure. This is also my mates "fancy" ute that he doesn't want to ruin the paint on.

Ideas, pictures?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Spotlighting rest

Post by Roo farmer » 01 Jun 2019, 9:57 pm

DSC_0439.JPG
DSC_0439.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 5657 times
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 2:03 am

Pool Noodle on the window works ok, as does this

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 02 Jun 2019, 8:46 am

I have a setup like roo farmer's and it is very good and steady :thumbsup:

but scott I've never seen your setup, amazing :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Strangedog » 02 Jun 2019, 12:52 pm

Max box are ok..
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Jun 2019, 2:55 pm

Far out bigfella.. :wtf:

Swinging from lashed straps... :huh:

Bit of spotlighting bondage goin on in your paddocks... :shock:

But seriously, that would drive me nuts i rekon...there'd be no quickly jumping out for a shot over the bonnet with that set up...
But i guess if it works for ya... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 02 Jun 2019, 3:15 pm

When by myself i use a big iron rest off drivers door.

Out passenger side is a length of 42x35 (about 1300mm long from memory), with carpet wrapped & taped over one end, & a bit of foam rubber pipe lagging taped over the middle third.

I lift this up so it rests from dash (carpet end) to shoulder of passenger seat, & rest the forend on this...so far (touchin wood) ive not shot out the passengee side mirror on a car since the first one, some 25 years... :thumbsup:

I find what you need all depends on the car you're shoot'n out of...some cars (like my Triton) are a pig to shoot out of, & the mirrors are so high & big they restrict your shooting arc by half...

Best to sit in a car with a rifle & see what you need i rekon, cos window, seat & mirror heights fluctuate enormously between vehicles.

Tell your mate pumpkin to give up shootin & take up netball & leave the hunting to us men...!!
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 3:25 pm

marksman wrote:I have a setup like roo farmer's and it is very good and steady :thumbsup:

but scott I've never seen your setup, amazing :drinks:

Just something I whipped up after I had trouble with a standard window rest (I used a leather belt and it worked exceptionally well) so made that one up with a bit of adjustment in it. It's good enough for poking heads at 200m so plenty good enough for spotlighting duty :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 3:29 pm

Stix wrote:Far out bigfella.. :wtf:

Swinging from lashed straps... :huh:

Bit of spotlighting bondage goin on in your paddocks... :shock:

But seriously, that would drive me nuts i rekon...there'd be no quickly jumping out for a shot over the bonnet with that set up...
But i guess if it works for ya... :thumbsup:

The strap just slips over the spiggot (you can see it in one of the pics) so you just pull you rifle in like you normally would and slip the strap off, nothing hard or slow about it at all, it allows you the freedom to shoot in any direction you need (they used a similar sort of setup in the gunships in Vietnam wtih M60's hanging off em. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jun 2019, 6:25 pm

Temporary Duct tape and rags ( not necessarily for the rest part ) can protect any parts of the car around the entire window frame area and will protect the rifle too .....and it’s quiet ,,,,,,,and if he is really precious about his vehicle I have seen some cloth tape advertised as “leaving no residue”.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 6:54 pm

Here's a system I use when out shooting on my own - I can shoot out the passenger window (I don't shoot out the drivers side much as I can't get comfortable shooting that way so this system works fine for my needs.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 02 Jun 2019, 6:56 pm

Pool noodle on the window :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 7:00 pm

Chronos wrote:Pool noodle on the window :thumbsup:

Chronos

Already been mentioned. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jun 2019, 7:55 pm

This sort of topic reminds me of how easy it is to be night hunting from my quad with padded rests and 180 degree s of shooting with no windscreen in the way. Just don’t mention the word “winter “
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 02 Jun 2019, 8:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Here's a system I use when out shooting on my own - I can shoot out the passenger window (I don't shoot out the drivers side much as I can't get comfortable shooting that way so this system works fine for my needs.

Already been mentiined. :thumbsup:

:lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 9:44 pm

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Here's a system I use when out shooting on my own - I can shoot out the passenger window (I don't shoot out the drivers side much as I can't get comfortable shooting that way so this system works fine for my needs.

Already been mentiined. :thumbsup:

:lol:

Nope not that setup, she's a plank of wood taped to my passenger seat, ya just gotta remember to poke the barrel outside the vehicle or ya ears will be ringing all night long :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 9:48 pm

Blr243 wrote:This sort of topic reminds me of how easy it is to be night hunting from my quad with padded rests and 180 degree s of shooting with no windscreen in the way. Just don’t mention the word “winter “

Yeah great in one way and lousy in the other hey, not sure I'd want to be out spotlighting in -10 deg using one of them, hard enough out of the ute with the bloody windows down operating the light (ya need some good gloves to deal with that type of temp or a mate who's an idiot :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cal-ApeR » 02 Jun 2019, 10:47 pm

The strap method has really got me thinking. That is brilliant. Yeah, my mate is a skirt but I understand sort of. $65,000 and then getting it all scratched up. That's why I still drive an old Hilux that doesn't mind a flogging.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 03 Jun 2019, 8:15 pm

Pool noodle or similar on the window gets my vote. It would be quite easy to adjust elevation quickly by winding the window up or down, unlike other types of rests.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by xDom » 04 Jun 2019, 6:46 pm

I’ve just ordered one of those fillable bags that fit over the drivers side door with the window down ( naturally ).
It was only $12, anyone used one of those?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

xDom wrote:I’ve just ordered one of those fillable bags that fit over the drivers side door with the window down ( naturally ).
It was only $12, anyone used one of those?

What bags...?...got a link or pic...? :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 04 Jun 2019, 8:25 pm

Yeah do show a pic. Sounds interesting.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 04 Jun 2019, 8:29 pm

The one I bought was a bit cheaper but this one illustrates it better.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2580857685
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 11 Jun 2019, 8:31 pm

xDom wrote:The one I bought was a bit cheaper but this one illustrates it better.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2580857685

Looks pretty good I reckon.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 13 Jun 2019, 9:54 pm

I have made two types. One for the passenger where I actually remove the mirror out of its mount and have made a rifle rest that slots into the mirror mount and the other end hooks on the window sill. This is all padded with felt.
The other is for the driver...me..and as a lefty shooting from the drivers position is ideal. The drivers rest is a typical window sill mount/ door support type but the difference is that the mount actually cradles and holds the fore end in place and the butt is cradled in an U shaped cradle. The forend mount is articulated in 4 places which give me a full movement to swing the rifle left to right and up and down, one handed. This mount holds the rifle while driving the vehicle, the rifle is pointing slightly down and backward, and parallel to the vehicle but just out side of the vehicle. This enables me to drive with the left hand and use the spotlight with my right. To shoot, I swing the car to a suitable position and lift the butt out of its cradle and the forend swings easily on its mount into line. Sounds complex but is a very easy one hand shooting position.
Totally agree that the mounts need to be built to the vehicle as every vehicle is a bit different. Let’s face it there is seldom an ideal shot when spotlighting by yourself. No two targets are the same, vehicle is never level, critters move, are never in a ideal spot to shoot at them, you are often cramped and cold and then heater fails. Who doesn’t love a challenge?

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment