Spotlighting rest

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Spotlighting rest

Post by GQshayne » 03 Jun 2019, 8:15 pm

Pool noodle or similar on the window gets my vote. It would be quite easy to adjust elevation quickly by winding the window up or down, unlike other types of rests.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by xDom » 04 Jun 2019, 6:46 pm

I’ve just ordered one of those fillable bags that fit over the drivers side door with the window down ( naturally ).
It was only $12, anyone used one of those?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2019, 7:16 pm

xDom wrote:I’ve just ordered one of those fillable bags that fit over the drivers side door with the window down ( naturally ).
It was only $12, anyone used one of those?

What bags...?...got a link or pic...? :unknown:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 04 Jun 2019, 8:25 pm

Yeah do show a pic. Sounds interesting.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xDom » 04 Jun 2019, 8:29 pm

The one I bought was a bit cheaper but this one illustrates it better.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2580857685
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 11 Jun 2019, 8:31 pm

xDom wrote:The one I bought was a bit cheaper but this one illustrates it better.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2580857685

Looks pretty good I reckon.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 13 Jun 2019, 9:54 pm

I have made two types. One for the passenger where I actually remove the mirror out of its mount and have made a rifle rest that slots into the mirror mount and the other end hooks on the window sill. This is all padded with felt.
The other is for the driver...me..and as a lefty shooting from the drivers position is ideal. The drivers rest is a typical window sill mount/ door support type but the difference is that the mount actually cradles and holds the fore end in place and the butt is cradled in an U shaped cradle. The forend mount is articulated in 4 places which give me a full movement to swing the rifle left to right and up and down, one handed. This mount holds the rifle while driving the vehicle, the rifle is pointing slightly down and backward, and parallel to the vehicle but just out side of the vehicle. This enables me to drive with the left hand and use the spotlight with my right. To shoot, I swing the car to a suitable position and lift the butt out of its cradle and the forend swings easily on its mount into line. Sounds complex but is a very easy one hand shooting position.
Totally agree that the mounts need to be built to the vehicle as every vehicle is a bit different. Let’s face it there is seldom an ideal shot when spotlighting by yourself. No two targets are the same, vehicle is never level, critters move, are never in a ideal spot to shoot at them, you are often cramped and cold and then heater fails. Who doesn’t love a challenge?

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment