Rifle mounted torches.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Rifle mounted torches.

Post by Blr243 » 01 Aug 2019, 3:17 pm

Good stuff mick. I didn’t know about pairing the 18650 batteries I use them tons on my strictly red walkabout head torch.. last thing I want is a fire on my head when I am trying to hunt in the dark
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 01 Aug 2019, 10:16 pm

yeah mate and I think its incredibly rare and maybe more an issue for non protected 18650 pairs. Batteries can be protected or unprotected, protected includes circuitry to regulate issues when they discharge. Some folks still use unprotected as they are much cheaper, like a few bucks vs $20-30 for protected. The guys on Candlepower forums can explain the facts better but for whatever reason they say its still good practice to pair 2 x 18650 in torches.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Desjer70 » 24 Feb 2020, 9:26 pm

My first post here, have read so much valuable information in the past and thought this is a topic that I can comment on with lots of personal experience. I have a couple of different generations of Olight M3x. Someone will have another favorite (i have not used nitecore for example) but I have not found anything else that is rifle/scope mountable that beats them for distance. I have a Fenix TK60 that is brighter, (4x18650) that I use for main spotlight if walking/stalking and 12v lightforce blitz is not practical. I like scope mount over barrel mount as does not change balance of rifle. I have tried the olight magnetic mount to barrel, but tapered barrel throws out alignment, and can get in the way if shooting off the back of ute or rested position or from ATV.. The inexpensive clamp style scope mounts found in most kits and readily available on ebay are cheap and easy. I use two clamps, one in front and one behind scope turret for exact alignment and stability. If you can only fit one, alignment is generally still good. Through a good quality scope i can see anything out to practical shooting ranges of 300m, and way beyond that (i shoot 243W when it is windy, 204 Ruger mostly for foxes, sometimes 17HMR for bunnies and foxes at <100m). When shooting from vehicle, I still think halogen is best spotlight, animals do not "stop and prop" as readily in super bright white LED light in my experience. What i Like is that once you get some eye shine, I can turn on the scope mounted M3x, and as soon as you place the hot center spot on the target, target acquisition is very easy, as the hotspot exactly matches the scope line of sight. This might be too late to assist the OP, but hope someone else reading this may find some value. I also tried the olight red filter, to address the target prop vs flight issue, but just reduced visibility too much at the ranges I shoot to. I found on ebay a cheap single power, red LED, single 18650 torch that is brighter than the m3x through filter, but have not had a chance to test it in the field as yet. I think it will be really good as rifle mounted torch while still using a halogen spotlight as main scanner for eye shine, but yet to be tested. Happy hunting. JD
Desjer70
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Feb 2020, 10:33 am

G'day Desjer70...

What is the new torch...?...
Do you have a link...?

Very keen to hear how it performs in the paddock...

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Am88 » 27 Feb 2020, 7:48 am

I use a nitecore for my deer, it's mounted with a sports match mount, I think the torch is a MT40 or something of the like holds 2 18650's. Only thing I had to do was add a 1/2" strip of leccy tape on the bottom part of the lens to help with scope glare
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 04 Apr 2020, 9:45 am

G'day,

Does anyone have actual knowledge of and experience with the [very expensive!!!] Sniper Hog Light Coyote Cannon Kit or the Sniper Hog Light 66LRX from the US?

I would like more IR range when using my ATN scopes. Having used the PARD 008 on my BRNO Mod 2 and seen how clear the image is it is obvious I need to get a stronger IR illuminator for my .222 Rem rifles. Presently I'm using a Wolf Eyes Ranger 56. It's pretty clear to about 100 yards, but the view gets more 'muddy' after that and it's a bit of a strain, especially with glasses, at longer ranges. Otherwise I might have to buy a vcsel type light from a UK maker.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 15 Apr 2020, 9:41 pm

Wolf Eyes SEAL .........never let me down ........

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by John » 15 Apr 2020, 11:23 pm

I’ve been using a led lenser and love it very bright 500lm great beam rechargeable ether 12v USB or 240 wall socket
There pretty expensive but well worth it over the cheaper rip off versions which I’ve all so tried
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 27 Apr 2020, 4:17 pm

Thought id post this up for those who dont know.

Olight are having a 30% off everything sale from midnight tonight...the email i got says its off the entire store so if youre looking for a rifle mounted light, tomorrow might be the time...

I love my Olight Javelot Pro 2100 lumen 1080m long range Hunting Kit

https://www.olightstore.com.au/hunting/kits/

You need to enter a code "olight30" apparently.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 27 Apr 2020, 4:48 pm

I have 2 Olight's I bought the Olight M3XS-UT Javelot and was really happy with it, you can clearly see foxes out to 300m probably further, for those not cashed up the olight site offers afterpay which is handy
https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-m ... eable-kit/

I also bought the newer Olight Javelot Pro when it was on special when released which would be close to 80% brighter and goes a fair way further.... makes my powabeam look like a candle lol, I bought a red filter (cant remember where I sat it, I can spend isolation searching now) I'd say it cuts the beam distance by at least 50%
https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-j ... led-torch/

https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-6 ... -diffused/

I have the two mounts below which I use both are good

Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by perentie » 27 Apr 2020, 5:01 pm

Do the Olights come with a picatinny mount , or is one available?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 27 Apr 2020, 5:05 pm

I know nothing about torches, i have an led lenser because they are hardy and last forever. And it’s only on a 22.

However i have one of these mounts that adjust windage an elevation. Some might find interesting.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25-4mm-Tactical-Sight-Flashlight-Rifle-Scope-Mount-Adjustable-Elevation-Windage/273215050437?hash=item3f9ce2d2c5:g:o~8AAOSwZota9par
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 27 Apr 2020, 5:10 pm

perentie wrote:Do the Olights come with a picatinny mount , or is one available?

Picatinny Quick Release Torch to Scope Kit 25mm & 30mm
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 27 Apr 2020, 6:22 pm

perentie wrote:Do the Olights come with a picatinny mount , or is one available?

Mate...have a look at the site...thats why i posted the link.. :thumbsup: .its all there... :)

Ill put the link up again...but i cant click on it for you... :lol:
(well not without your payment details anyway... :lol: )
___

Thought id post this up for those who dont know.

Olight are having a 30% off everything sale from midnight tonight...the email i got says its off the entire store so if youre looking for a rifle mounted light, tomorrow might be the time...

I love my Olight Javelot Pro 2100 lumen 1080m long range Hunting Kit

https://www.olightstore.com.au/hunting/kits/

You need to enter a code "olight30" apparently.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 28 Apr 2020, 4:11 am

They,re too dumb and lazy to make slam guns.
They want glocks like the gang bangers in the rap videos. Has to your match with your nikes and gauchi right bro.
Flooded arms markets, global auctions, stolen credit cards, stolen ID. Where’s the risk.
Just click and collect.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by perentie » 28 Apr 2020, 6:52 am

Thanks Stix. I joined up
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by perentie » 28 Apr 2020, 9:11 am

The main thing I was after is out of stock. Looking for a rail mounted light for my shotgun. The Pro Valkyrie looked OK but has a built in battery which does not sound good..
Watched a video there but the guy was a yank and talked so fast I could not understand him . He mentioned something about the built in battery but could not catch it.
The rail mount kit hangs down to far so is out. Never mind , keep looking.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 28 Apr 2020, 9:57 am

I bought a konus (what they stocked) for 260 from my lgs worked great the first time, got about an hour out of it out to 200 and super bright.
not as great the second time less time and only about 150m
and wouldn't turn on the third. Picked up a cheap 40$ job that runs off 4 aa batteries from the competition lgs does a better job than the konus..... It still turns on. Gets me about 100m happily 150 with new batteries
I'm not sure if its just a cheap 18650 battery that came with it or weather its the torch itself. Or the charger Will have to buy another cheap 18650 just to see
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 28 Apr 2020, 11:34 am

perentie wrote:The main thing I was after is out of stock. Looking for a rail mounted light for my shotgun. The Pro Valkyrie looked OK but has a built in battery which does not sound good..
Watched a video there but the guy was a yank and talked so fast I could not understand him . He mentioned something about the built in battery but could not catch it.
The rail mount kit hangs down to far so is out. Never mind , keep looking.

What about the magnetic one? I use that on my shot gun has never looked like coming off (bloody strong magnets) have also whacked it on the barrel of my 308 with no issues after my spotlighting helper fell asleep :roll:
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 28 Apr 2020, 12:42 pm

Spotlighting helpers don’t actually fall asleep but they pretend to be asleep. It’s because somebody else is having all the fun shooting and they are tired of always being the one to open and shut the gates ... and they figure if they are seen to be asleep u might turn the Ute around and head home
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 28 Apr 2020, 5:16 pm

Blr243 wrote:Spotlighting helpers don’t actually fall asleep but they pretend to be asleep. It’s because somebody else is having all the fun shooting and they are tired of always being the one to open and shut the gates ... and they figure if they are seen to be asleep u might turn the Ute around and head home

haha true, but mine usually end up doing most or all of the shooting.... could have possibly been avoiding the gates or trying to get home before McDonalds shut :D
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ricochet » 29 Apr 2020, 10:52 am

Look on eBay for the shadowhawk or Goreit Cree LED torches.. advertised at 60000 lumens. I'm not sure how accurate that is but I use one on my .22 and it's bright enough to identify a bunny out to around 60 meters or so, powered by a 18650 battery..and will fit into this mount with a rubber shim. I have a couple of these torches that have different branding but are essentially the same, one of the chargers that comes with it, with the 240 v was sh!te, but you can get a good one at Jaycar and some spare batteries too while you are there.
Edit.
I use the clamp picture at the top for the .22 but the other gadget is essentially a scope ring with a pic rail mount, should be good for the shotty.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200429-105211.png
Screenshot_20200429-105211.png (150.78 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
Screenshot_20200429-104856.png
Screenshot_20200429-104856.png (314.57 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
Screenshot_20200429-104531.png
Screenshot_20200429-104531.png (141.49 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Skinna » 24 Aug 2020, 1:00 pm

For those interested. Sale is now.

https://www.olightstore.com.au/flash-sale/

No im not affiliated with them at all, just a very happy Olight user so far. Love my Pro 2100 outfit, & thinking about getting one of these new Warrier X's for the second rifle while spotlighting.
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 24 Aug 2020, 10:52 pm

This is my set up quick repeatable no-fuss solid as a rock .

20200824_224946.jpg
20200824_224946.jpg (718.88 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment