17 Cal cleaning gear

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

17 Cal cleaning gear

Post by GQshayne » 15 Jun 2019, 8:10 pm

I am soon to take possession of a 17 Remington, so seeing as I have not had a17 cal rifle before, my existing cleaning gear will not be suitable. I have a Hoppes Elite Carbon 1 piece rod which is great, so I figured I would get another one to suit the .17.

However, it is listed as having a male end. Brushes and jags I see on the net for sale show male and female fittings, even Hoppes 17 cal gear shows both. Hmmmmmmm……. :?: I do not want to end up with something that is hard to get brushes etc for.

So for those of you that have a 17 cal rifle, what cleaning gear do you use?

Cheers,
Shayne
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: 17 Cal cleaning gear

Post by GQshayne » 16 Jun 2019, 5:39 pm

So, nobody has a 17 cal that they clean???????? :crazy: :roll:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 16 Jun 2019, 7:34 pm

http://www.midway-australia.com.au/guns ... -cal-only/
www.brunoshooters.com/category/bronze_brushes.html
www.brunoshooters.com/category/nylon_brushes.html

I like the gunslick cleaning rods and I get my bronze/nylon brushes from bruno's shooters supplies in the US
you can also use cotton tips cut in half soaked in solvent fitted in your rod for a perfect fit

for a long time I did use a cleanbore one piece air rifle cleaning rod with no ill effects
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 16 Jun 2019, 9:36 pm

marksman wrote:http://www.midway-australia.com.au/gunslick-36-1-piece-carbon-fiber-cleaning-rod-for-17-20-cal-only/
http://www.brunoshooters.com/category/b ... ushes.html
http://www.brunoshooters.com/category/n ... ushes.html

I like the gunslick cleaning rods and I get my bronze/nylon brushes from bruno's shooters supplies in the US
you can also use cotton tips cut in half soaked in solvent fitted in your rod for a perfect fit

for a long time I did use a cleanbore one piece air rifle cleaning rod with no ill effects

Interesting!!!!!!

My Hoppes Elite rod was damaged by the old man, so he bought me a new one - a Gunslick rod, which is identical apart from colour. Obviously made in the same factory. It is 22-270 or something.

BUT, the Hoppes 17 cal rod is noted as having a male end on it. I cannot see in the Gunslick rod you listed what end it has, but the brushes you have listed have a male end on them. So the rod must be female. Am I right???

Also, how do you find the carbon rod in 17cal?? I have read a couple of comments that they flex too much, and plastic coated steel is better in the small size.

Appreciate your comments. :thumbsup:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 11:04 pm

Hey GQshayne,
I use a Dewey 17 cal rod ATM.
its the only one ive ever used but im not entirely happy with it....
However,, in its defense, thats mostly because of its flexilility (i bent one trying to shove tight patches down the bore) & that im used to the rigidity of a 22 cal rod.

The Dewey 17 cal rods i have are male thread on the end, but you csn buy an adapter for them... (if buying Dewey, get it from overseas as the importers here seem to be about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike when it comes to stock & customer follow-ups--ive found dealing direct with Dewey direct a very pleasant experience... :thumbsup: ).

Also, the 17 cal rods i have are not coated with anything more than paint...i gather thats because they are so narrow already, & making them even norrower to allow for coating would probably see them bend with a normal sized patch.

Id be keen to try one of those csrbon fibre jobs when i csn sfford one... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 17 Jun 2019, 4:26 pm

Thanks for that, I didn't know the Dewey had a male end on it as well. I like the idea if a normal female end, as it seems the common brushes etc that I see up here for sale, such as Pro Shot, will fit it. If Marksman has no issues getting brushes to suit the Gunslick, and has not noticed the carbon flexing too much, I might get one of them. It is the same as the other larger calibre one I have which works well. Getting brushes and jags etc for the male ended rods worries me though. Not keen on them.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 17 Jun 2019, 6:02 pm

GQshayne...my apologies...dont know what was in my drink when i said that--but the 17 cal Dewey rod i have IS a female end.
You need a little adapter (Dewey make that &its av as ilable for a few bucks) to use normal threaded brushes & jags etc.

Sorry for the mix-up... :oops:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 17 Jun 2019, 8:28 pm

Stix wrote:GQshayne...my apologies...dont know what was in my drink when i said that--but the 17 cal Dewey rod i have IS a female end.
You need a little adapter (Dewey make that &its av as ilable for a few bucks) to use normal threaded brushes & jags etc.

No worries.

If the Dewey has a female thread, why does it need an adaptor??? Do they have a different thread pitch or something?
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 18 Jun 2019, 12:09 am

GQshayne wrote:
Stix wrote:GQshayne...my apologies...dont know what was in my drink when i said that--but the 17 cal Dewey rod i have IS a female end.

No worries.

If the Dewey has a female thread, why does it need an adaptor??? Do they have a different thread pitch or something?

It eill fit the 17 & 20 csl brushes--they have a smsller thread.

But if you want to use (for example) the 17 rod with a 22 brush for sny of your 22's, you need the 17a adapter.

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 18 Jun 2019, 7:55 pm

OK, ta.

If Marksman reckons his Gunslick rod has a female end, suits generic size brushes, and has no flex issues, I reckon it looks the goods.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 18 Jun 2019, 8:18 pm

Yep...
Grab me one while you're there... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 21 Jun 2019, 3:39 pm

GQshayne wrote:
marksman wrote:http://www.midway-australia.com.au/gunslick-36-1-piece-carbon-fiber-cleaning-rod-for-17-20-cal-only/
http://www.brunoshooters.com/category/b ... ushes.html
http://www.brunoshooters.com/category/n ... ushes.html

Interesting!!!!!!

My Hoppes Elite rod was damaged by the old man, so he bought me a new one - a Gunslick rod, which is identical apart from colour. Obviously made in the same factory. It is 22-270 or something.

BUT, the Hoppes 17 cal rod is noted as having a male end on it. I cannot see in the Gunslick rod you listed what end it has, but the brushes you have listed have a male end on them. So the rod must be female. Am I right???

Also, how do you find the carbon rod in 17cal?? I have read a couple of comments that they flex too much, and plastic coated steel is better in the small size.

Appreciate your comments. :thumbsup:

thought I'd put up what I sent to Shayne :drinks:

Hi Shayne

sorry not to have been on the computer for a few days
yes the gunslick rod has a female fitting so the bruno brushes fit and are very good value
I buy them by the dozen bronze and nylon, I use old cotton sheets cut up for patches
but I admit I get my wife to cut them up for me :thumbsup:
a q-tip cut in half will give you 2 tips that fit into the female end and are good for applying solvent or oil
I usually use a brush dipped into the solvent myself and give a savage scrub

I also like the carbon rods as they dont pick up the crud as much or have it embedded into the rod
I can tell as I clean the rod every time it comes out of the bore and the rod is not impregnated with grit
I dont know if they are more bendy and really dont think the carbon fibre will hurt the bores
I will not use rods made of stainless and such as when they get a scratch on the rod you will be scraping the bore

these rods are one of the only ones I have used that turn both ways when pushing into and out of the bore

they are worth a bit but its worth it IMHO

I hope that explains things for you
kind regards Mark
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 21 Jun 2019, 7:21 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good option. I will get onto it. :drinks:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 22 Jun 2019, 4:53 pm

OK, so the link that Marksman supplied was a very good price for the rod. A bit of Googling showed it was hard to beat. So I added it to the shopping cart and went looking for a few other odds and sods. As you do. :thumbsup:

Then I got to shipping - fixed price $48.00. For a cleaning rod and some brushes. Just a dead-set rip-off.

Time for more Googling. So I find an ebay seller that has the same items for similar prices. Combined postage for all of them was $36.00 so I asked for a new total with combined postage. New cost - $28.00 P&H. Done.

It was the same seller! :crazy:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 01 Jul 2019, 7:36 pm

Of interest to me is that I have bought two 17 cal mops, and attempted to use them on a 17 cal rifle and they are too big!!

Pro Shot, as it happens.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment